Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Seaweed Kimchi & Other Ferments ..

Home Forums HOMEMADE Home Preserving, Food Storage and Stockpiling Seaweed Kimchi & Other Ferments ..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Hummer HumbugHummer
    Keymaster

As most of you will no doubt be aware of.. wakame, nori etc are excellent source’s of dietary nutrition.

Being a fairly new convert, I have developed a big liking to the humble sea vege & have discovered some tasty recipe’s myself, but I am looking to expand ..

Do any of you members have your own trusty seaweed recipe that you care to share ?

:woohoo:

WombatWombat

Hey Bumhug!

sorry mate, It’s not my thing!

where do you find seaweed you would be game to harvest? :sick:

Nev

Hummer HumbugHummer
    Keymaster

Hello Mr Bomwat, long time no see.. what you been doing with yourself ? :hug:

Not sure about that myself (re; your question) …

I did read something about growing it yourself somewhere among my travels.. that could be interesting 🙂

AirgeadAirgead

There is a really nice Japanese seaweed salad that I make. Very simple. Just sesame oil, soy and chilli. Sprinkle of each on your seaweed and toss. Goes beautifully with sushi.

Cheers

Dave

Edit – never made it myself but there is a really nice fermented seaweed kimchi you can get at korean shops. Seriously good.

Hummer HumbugHummer
    Keymaster

Airgead post=353957 wrote: There is a really nice Japanese seaweed salad that I make. Very simple. Just sesame oil, soy and chilli. Sprinkle of each on your seaweed and toss. Goes beautifully with sushi.

Cheers

Dave

Edit – never made it myself but there is a really nice fermented seaweed kimchi you can get at korean shops. Seriously good.

Thanks Dave.. I have had wakame on rice cakes with toamto & kefir cheese & it’s so yumm!

I like the sound of a kimchi seaweed ferment.. must look into that one :tup:

IdunaIduna

I like wakame with cabbage or silverbeet, onion a little garlic and sesame oil.

Can’t go wrong with miso soup, I sadly can’t find the red miso I love just the white and I don’t like that one very much. I don’t eat it with tofu as I don’t like what is offered here.

Nori that has been toasted then “worked” in a plastic bag so it’s very fine almost powder like mixed with sesame seeds, a little salt and scrambled egg that has been dried, if you can get/find it a little bonito flakes mixed with it, sprinkle that over some hot rice or make rice balls and roll them in the mix… Yummo.

Hummer HumbugHummer
    Keymaster

Airgead post=353957 wrote:

I have just made some .. & I’m very excited about it, can’t wait to try it :woohoo:

AirgeadAirgead

Wow! That was quick.

Let me know how it comes out (and the recipe you used)….

Cheers

Dave

Hummer HumbugHummer
    Keymaster

I was actually in the process of making a batch of Kimchi, so I just added the wakame to it.. it smells pretty good.

It is also my own recipe.. so fingers crossed 🙂

Though I believe that you can’t really go wrong when fermenting with whey… time will tell

WombatWombat

Hey Ms Bumhug,

Not much, wurkin’, websiting, the usual bits & pieces….

How bout you?

Is it all good in bumhug land?

Since I got retrenched a couple of years ago I don’t get down to your neck of the woods any longer 🙁

Nev

Hummer HumbugHummer
    Keymaster

:laugh: :laugh:

All is fair & just in bumhug land.. yep. Certainly no cause for complaining – mostly, anyway 🙂

I have noticed that your travelling has pretty much ceased.. do you miss it ?

AndreAndre
    Keymaster

G’day wombat dude.. glad to see you’re alive and kickin’ 🙂

AndreAndre
    Keymaster

No recipes here, but I do like japanese food!

If I can grow it, I’ll eat it 🙂

BobbeeBobbee

Not a recipe but a comment, I use nori sheets but don’t use rice as a filler. I use kefir cheese, salmon – fresh or tinned, grated veg and anything I fancy at the time. Just need to think outside the square.

My rolling leaves a lot to be desired but I hope I improve in time. :laugh:

🙂

WombatWombat

Hey Guys,

Nah, don’t miss the travelling, I must be getting old :laugh:

But yeah, still alive and kicking – it’s all good! 🙂

Nev

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.