Aussies Living Simply

Scenarios – What do you think will happen?

Home Forums SUSTAINABLE COMMUNITIES Peak Oil – where are we headed? Scenarios – What do you think will happen?

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 216 total)
  • Author
    DB346DB346

Another good one OB. Just finished watching :tup:

I see what you mean that it may seem alarmist.

My wrap is that fundamentally, this fellow has included a couple of the big issues in his presentation and for the most part, it comes together in a reasonable fashion. Unfortunately, what he does do is concentrate on the problems in a dire way. :jawdrop: He does not focus to much on the alternatives and/or technological ‘fixes’, he just ignores these and moves on to being completely community/self reliant. He skips some important steps and information in my opinion. :hug: Had he addressed these issues, in a more balanced perspective, and toned down some of the dire points of his message, I suspect his presentation would have been received much better. I suspect it will be more well received by the sheeple as well :whistle:

Anyway, I am sceptic who, based on my own research, has grave concerns about over population, resource depletion (peak oil amongst others), climate change and the mathematical inevitability of our current globalised debt based systems. So I don’t think this presentation is actually that alarming in the context of the reality of our current predicament. :whistle:

In any case, most interesting to watch.

Le LoupLe Loup

We lived without electricity for 20 years, and I can tell you that life won’t be easy for a lot of people. We managed easily at the time, but 18th century living skills are my forte. Now we have a completely self-sufficient house.

Keith.

owlbrudderowlbrudder

DB346 post=337080 wrote: Another good one OB. Just finished watching :tup:

Glad you liked it.

DB346 post=337080 wrote: I don’t think this presentation is actually that alarming in the context of the reality of our current predicament.

That’s my position, too. The crash, when it comes, is going to be bad IMHO and will be exacerbated by global warming. I am not counting on superannuation or pension to keep me in my old(er) age.

To make a real difference, we need concerted and committed action now, but the media and politicians are so greatly influenced by wealthy corporations, individuals and blindly right-wing ‘think tanks’, both in Oz and the USA, that we the sheeple are being led to the edge of a cliff, all in the name of the ‘free market’. My only questions are: how close is the cliff and how high is it?

Guy McPherson is right in principle; the question is whether he is right in degree.

roadwarriorroadwarrior

Keith,

if the general population had even a fraction of your knowledge or stamina then the crash probably wouldn’t occur in the first place. However we are left with a situation where 99.99% of the Australian/American/European population can’t survival without a fridge, freezer or supermarket. Our cities and our jobs are designed around an economic system that relies 100% on economic growth. Without growth (and this is a general term that refers to both growth in resources and the economy) things break down quite quickly.

You only have to look at countries like Greece or Italy to see this happening already. Their fate will be shared by everyone shortly.

rw

owlbrudderowlbrudder

roadwarrior post=337160 wrote: Without growth (and this is a general term that refers to both growth in resources and the economy) things break down quite quickly.

And without cheap energy, particularly oil, the whole tottering edifice of the world economy comes to a shuddering halt.

A very interesting commentary on the Peak Oil/Global Warming dichotomy has been posted today at Skeptical Science.

owlbrudderowlbrudder

I have just finished watching this series of seven, quarter-hour clips of a lecture by Dr. Joseph Tainter, titled “Collapse of Complex Societies”. In it, he touches briefly on the peak oil scenario, but the body of the lecture is taken up with the collapse of other societies in history and why that happened.

It turns out that, even without Peak Oil, Climate Change, or any other disaster, our society is headed for collapse from the sheer cost of maintaining its complexity. There is no discussion of what a resulting world might look like, but I think one can read between the lines. The Q&A sessions in clips 6 and 7 are insightful.

I highly recommend the series to anyone with a spare couple of hours.

The link to the first clip is:

http://s.ytimg.com/yt/swfbin/watch_as3-vfl_PAXCt.swf

SilentSilent

I was lurking reddit and I came across this website.

I thought some of you would be interested, especially on this thread. Pick a location and a weapon size then hit detonate and it will show you the effects of a nuclear strike. It’s cool and scary at the same time.

mistyhollowsmistyhollows

Well ain’t that just a bundle of joy. :jawdrop:

owlbrudderowlbrudder

This comment, on a thread at Skeptical Science, packs a punch. It says much of what I have been thinking about the future of our civilisation. Peak Oil, Global Warming, GFC MkII and Population Growth are the new Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. If you believe in miracles, it’s time to start praying.

mistyhollowsmistyhollows

Hmm well I’m not to sure if this fits into the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse but this just gave me the heebies:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-02-20/who-allows-publication-of-bird-flu-research/3840140?section=world

I ordered the BBC Survivors series, the old one, and seeing the above article well made me :blink: after watching a few eipsodes last night.

HTHT

was it a bit like RW’s stories and me not being able to sleep at night? Misty I can swap you gormet farmer 1 & 2 dvd for your survivor series if you like.

HT

mistyhollowsmistyhollows

Oh, HT I haven’t even finished watching it yet. Still on the first series. There’s something like 4 discs in each series with 4 episodes on each which go for about an hour long. I have to watch it at night after the kiddies are in bed, don’t want to freak them out. So each series has about 16 hrs on it and I’ve got 4 of them to get through :S .

You don’t have to buy the whole series from the ABC shop. I did but you can also buy individual series. I don’t know if they’re on utube or anything. Suppose I should have checked that first. :whistle:

I do like to think that you are getting your beauty sleep though without any of RW’s stories :laugh:

KristyMumTo4KristyMumTo4

I haven’t read all the pages but I wanted to add

I am hoping that things go along the way of Paul Gilding’s ‘One Degree War’ (see his book ‘The Great Disruption’)

BUT… I think the biggest challenges are (a) being adaptable/flexible/prepared, being able to think outside the box and (b) probably the biggest – people.

As my friend said to me, if you’re growing f&v and the 50 houses around you aren’t… and everyone and their children are hungry…

make up any scenario you like really but that still applies.

mistyhollowsmistyhollows

KristyMumTo4 post=338728 wrote:

As my friend said to me, if you’re growing f&v and the 50 houses around you aren’t… and everyone and their children are hungry…

make up any scenario you like really but that still applies.

I think you are exactly right. Regardless of whatever scenario is put to you economic issues, sickness, lack of fuel…whatever. This will be an issue. You have what others want and come what may you can’t fight them all off :shrug: That’s one of the things that came to mind when watching the doomsday preppers thing. There is one guy with a pool in his backyard converted to provide their food. Quite ingenious but everyone around him would be pretty much aware of what is in there.

I had a family member say to me when swine flu was happening and they were talking about isolating people etc that she would just come to our place :huh: .

I think that’s also why you need to grow native types of food that the mainstream won’t recognise eg. I started off with 1 taro plant. They multiply, lots. The same person above came over and said ‘wow’ love your elephant ear plant 😉 . Arrowroot looks like normal canna but it’s the edible variety, they multiply too :tup: .

KristyMumTo4KristyMumTo4

I think that’s also why you need to grow native types of food that the mainstream won’t recognise

yes. Not because you don’t want to share but because then it’s not completely eaten out as say stocks of rice etc would be if they were found. So they will be consumed, but in moderation and allowed to continue to grow and produce rather than eaten to the ground.

Another reason we’re trying to get ‘out’ of the built up areas and to a smaller town community.

Taro… I’ll have to check that one out 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 216 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.