Aussies Living Simply

Scenarios – What do you think will happen?

Home Forums SUSTAINABLE COMMUNITIES Peak Oil – where are we headed? Scenarios – What do you think will happen?

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 216 total)
  • Author
    owlbrudder

crystal post=336644 wrote: Oh yes, Misty, ipads are NOT good for kids… get a book and a damn pen!!

Interestingly, in this early post on my blog, I posed the question “where will the next one come from?”. Whenever I use a tool, technology, consumable or anything I don’t have the capability of making for myself, I ask the same question. Where will the next sheet of A4 come from? Where will I get ink for my pen? How do I make a pencil? What does flint look like and how do I use it to start a fire?

The number of human skills that we in the West have forgotten is probably greater than the number of skills we now have. I am a retired computer programmer. Will we still have enough skilled people left on earth to make silicon computer chips in the future? Where will the copper wire come from to make an electric motor? What about steel: how are we going to be able to operate coal and iron mines, without huge diesel-powered trucks and excavators? We will have the existing electricity grid, but will we have the skilled people to maintain it, or even the people to operate the power stations? I expect the future to be littered with the artifacts of our age, but they will be useless to the low-technology civilisation that will develop.

How do we preserve the huge weight of knowledge we have acquired, in forms that will be accessible to future generations, when we can be sure that computers, DVDs, laser printers and internet technologies will only exist in museums? Can we print and preserve enough books to last for hundreds or thousands of years? Should we be carving everything onto tablets of stone?

Interestingly, in the Juedo-Christian tradition, Man was banished from the Garden of Eden, for the sin of eating of the tree of knowledge. Our recent generations in the West have lived in a form of man-made Eden, full of ease and luxury (to those who can afford it), yet we are soon to be cast out again for the same deadly sin. Perhaps we are entering an era when we will need to refine our understanding of what constitutes important knowledge. I wonder.

Le Loup

Robyne post=336664 wrote: My granddaughters teacher last year doesn’t like the new type of readers as kids can’t pick what htey want at 5 years old. SHe goes into the library and picks out a book she wants to read. Because of the teachers way of learning she read 83 books last year and recieved a certificate from the premier for doing it. A very proud Dad has it on the wall for everyone to see. he was also a big reader at school. She turned 6 just before Christmas.

Excellent!

Le Loup

SHEEP STEALING!

Not really stealing, more like foraging :whistle:

crystal

lol, i can make paper, find a rock and scratch with a stick! or in the dirt… you know what i mean, i mean that the skill of being able to convey messages and information with our hands was more important that finding the print button on your ipad!

yes, keith, foraging!

crystal

Oh, i dont like in the night garden, but its the only thing on at that time of night. Im usually here on my own then and have to get dinner cleaned up and babies ready for bed, so the other 3 stay nice a quiet for a few minutes and watch that. Besides, Macca Pacca is kinda cute, and he cleans stuff, that has to be a good influence right? Iggle Piggle is not cool, he carries his ‘blanket’ around… no thanks, i got enough washing!

If i could, id tape playschool, but i cant.

Le Loup

My three boys never watched TV, we have never had TV reception where we live. Not in the Territory, nor here in the forest. But we do watch videos, in that way we get to choose. Aventually peer pressure & a longing for technology took our boys into to town to live! But at least they started off the right way. There are still camps about in the forest that my boys used to make. They spent a lot of time outdoors & learnt a lot of primitive skills. It will hold them in good stead if the need ever arrises. If it all hits the fan they will be coming home again!

Keith.

mistyhollows

So, my question is, how far out of the nearest town do you really need to live? Keeping in mind that in the meantime you may need access to medical facilities, schools etc etc. Do you go say a days ‘walking’ distance? half an hours drive? For those here that do live out of town by some distance what works best for you?

We live a 10-15min drive out out of the nearest town on 4 acres. My line of thinking is that this is just not far enough out. Enough for us to have gardens etc for now but thinking long term – not far enough out of town. It does however, keep us 5min from the kids school and 10min from the nearest corner stores. 15min from the nearest major hospital. DH & I were talking last night about how far do we need to be out of town? I even went to the degree of checking out the local real estate :laugh: We have to stay relatively close to town for school and DH’s work so, what works for others?

Le Loup

We are about 25klm from Guyra on a back road, & 35klm from Armidale NSW. This is about a half hour drive. We find this is good, not too close, but not too far. Also we are not on a main road, we are on a No Through Road. The houses can’t be seen from the dirt road. The first house is a half klm from the gate, so anyone coming in has that far to get out!

We find the drive very relaxing, my wife sais it gives her time to wind down from her stressful job.

Keith.

Le Loup

Well if you all start following my blog and my youtube channel, or alterantively start buying my primitive Skills DVDs, you should be well trained by the time TEOTWAWKI comes around!

Regards, Keith.

Or you can go one better & join our group if you live anywhere within reach of Armidale NSW.

Greth

We are about 3 km from the nearest small town, about 30 from supermarkets and services. We have 85 acres,a cow, sheep, pigs and veggie patch. We kill a few sheep a year, but surprising how long it doesnt last, lol, and Im no good with the scrappy bits, hate fatty lamb. Anyone got any ideas how to make it palatable im listening.

Owl, humans managed to pass on information thru verbal memory first, and song, then writing. The less technology there is the smarter you have to be I guess!

penny

Despite the over consumption by us humans I am still quite optimistic about the future. Yes we will face change at an ever increasing rate and we will need to do with less. As oil becomes scarcer and rises in price most of us will be forced to change our way of living, maybe the very wealthy will think they are immune but if many of us are busy doing our thing less of us will be available to do things for them so they will be forced into action. Hopefully if the very scary future does arrive in our lifetime people like us will be there to share our collective skills and perhaps be able to develop a kinder less damaging community.

Bullseye

crystal post=336644 wrote: Writting will last forever, what good will typing be when there are no computers?

I’m not sure there will be any shortage of computers for some time, if ever. 🙂

At least Apple are strong in such economically sensitive times. They just posted their profit report this week $US46.3 billion, double on last year and again being the “world’s most valuable company”. Apple, that “surpass oil giant Exxon”. Apple also reached their highest ever stock price of $US468.95 per share.

Does that mean we’re really at peak oil when a computer comany is more valuable???!!! 😛

Agree that the Cuba scenario is more likley than not !

Robyne

If the world without oil comes true we need to look around our homes now and see what we will be without.

Cars will be useless, no good haveing a Genny no fuel to run it and if you manage to get some others will hear it running so they will know you have food.

Medicines is my main concern I take Thyroid tablets at the moment I am looking for something different and have found a product called Thyromine for the health of the thyroid, alos Kelpasan for Iodine and a sour whey known as Molkosan and it also said to take papaya which is fine if you live up north when it happens no good down south. Hubby takes bloodpressure tablets but we can get his under control with diet if only :tup: :shrug: Heart trouble would also be a concern for some.

These are the problems we need to look at as well as safety. for our family,

A friend who is part aboriginal and her husband is full I put to her what would she do in the event of no fuel, she said panic, I asked about the rest of the aboriginees and how they would cope and she said over 1/2 would go under as they have become soft in their living standards. So we aren’t the only ones who need to toughen up a bit

Boys went on a 2 week survival camp in Tassie down the south west coast. with a guy who lived off the land about 30 kids and 4 teachers went and I think they had an aboriginee who came along with some of his kids and showed the kids basic skills his father showed him.

What they took in had to come out, they took a couple of canoes and their tents and lots of ground cover always handy. They took basic food with them and they had to catch what they ate. They ate fish, crayfish a wallaby, rabbits etc, none lost weight only one teacher complained she had put weight on but said she would go again anytime. It was never done again insurance spoiled it It was a shame as the boys still use what they learnt that holiday still today.

Maybe this sort of camping should be brought back for kids instead of taking them to the snow like the school down here did last year.

owlbrudder

Robyne post=336814 wrote: If the world without oil comes true we need to look around our homes now and see what we will be without.

The number of products derived from fossil oil is staggering. All the plastics we take for granted come from oil (although there are some these days made from cellolose and starch, they are not common). Many agricultural products, like fertilisers and pesticides, come from oil. Aspirin tablets come from oil. Paints, dyes, fibreglass, adhesives, fabrics – the list is endless. Our civilisation is utterly dependent upon crude oil. Even the fibre-optic cables being laid for the National Broadband Network started their lives millions of years ago.

Robyne post=336814 wrote: Medicines is my main concern

And prosthetics, like my spectacles and other people’s contact lenses, all reliant on plastics. No doubt, the old skill of grinding crystal lenses for spectacles would be revived, but they would be heavy and hellishly expensive.

Robyne post=336814 wrote: It was never done again insurance spoiled it

Isn’t that typical? How are people supposed to acquire useful skills, when the nanny state and the insurance companies are afraid of someone stubbing their toe? I don’t think you can even get around it by having participants sign declarations that they waive all claims for liability against the organisers. Sometimes I despair for the survival of our species.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 216 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.