Aussies Living Simply

Scenarios – What do you think will happen?

Home Forums SUSTAINABLE COMMUNITIES Peak Oil – where are we headed? Scenarios – What do you think will happen?

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 216 total)
  • Author
    crystalcrystal

Im in Sydney, so i know how the rent goes, and yes, i had a hard time even getting this house when i had only 4 kids, no pets and no income! I looked at all of NSW, for buying and renting. There were not many in our price range, and really only one that was kinda suitable… So i’ll just keep looking i suppose, something will come up eventually right?

RobyneRobyne

Crystal why don’t you try and find those towns that want people to move there. It might be a stepping stone for you in the country.

An elderly gentleman down here converted his bike into a trike and has put a motor on it. He has been seen in the town 25 ks away. Drives along the bike track without problems of cars and trucks on the roads. But if that Shane Warne gets his way we will be payig rego for riding our bikes :sick: 👿

We have started down sizing in a big way. Yesterday was a garage sale and today hubby and son have taken what is left up to a Swap meet. Hubby surprised me the other day and started in the garage something he has been going to do since last Easter :shrug: He has filled up 4 X 44gallon drums of bits he can no longer use that will go for scrap next week and the rubbish bin was filled up with in 3 hours of being emptied and I have another bin full in boxes that will go around to sons bin so it will all be gone this week coming.

Someone mentioned that they couldn;t get school rebate I appield for my granddaughter and was given it even through my son is her primary carer. as I have her while he works I was able to apply as I already have a health care card. Its a saving of over $200 a year for him as his hours have been chopped back to 30 from 40 hours. He can claim for her uniforms on his tax but its not a good rebate.

We have looked at everything that is electrical. and got rid of what I think is a power waster. I had a coffee maker never used for over 5 years / gone. cappochino machine not used in the same time even though I love my cappichinos On the cupborad to decide :shrug: I do use my Kenwood and processor, :hug: I have a bread maker but if I can do with out it it will be on the list to go. I am looking at solar power so the lass I have to use with it the better. I have been stocking up on sheets as they can be used not only for beds but for other things as well. Towels are always handy I am after a parachute. I had one years ago to go over the clothes line so the kids can play under it but they are hard to come by now

Le LoupLe Loup

crystal post=336453 wrote: oh yes, 6 kiddies remember, you try finding a 4 bed house under $300p/w in NSW… We looked at buying, but were still broke. lol, so until we can reduce our spending its not really an option.

One of my sons rents a 4 bedroom house in Armidale NSW for $300pw. My youngest son rents a farm house not far from us for about the same money.

Land prices of course are going up all the time, so best get while you can if you can. Tree covered property or land considered unsuitable for running stock will be less expensive & lower rates to pay.

Keith.

Crystal have you considered moving interstate? We moved from Queensland to Tasmania as this was the only place we could afford to buy. But we got a 3 bedroom house on 1 and 1/4 acre. We are close to the coast for fishing and now have lots of chooks and ducks and some veges. We do a little everyday to improve the property and our life is getting better and better.

Keith pity you are not in North East Tas mate. I bet you have some realy cool skills to pass on. And you sound like a man with a big heart.

Rick

crystalcrystal

towels and sheets i have so many of… And yes, we checked Armidale keith, but if you know of anything that way im interested.. Were looking at a few acres for animals/veg/kids. We do use a lot of electricity, mainly because were renting and cant change things, we cant install a clothes line on the verandah to dry clothes when its raining etc. But the yard ive taken over lol~ We have a gas oven and use the microwave a lot as its cheaper to run than the oven! I guess its just a process of eliminating things we buy that can be substituted with reusable things. We start slow and work our way up!

And we dont have a lot of ‘crap’ here. we dont have much storage so its pretty hard to collect junk. lol, but im in the middle of a de-clutter, which should free up enough space for some more stockpiling.

crystalcrystal

Ive thought about moving to where its cheapest, but that would mean being a LONG way from family, all ours are in Sydney. Also my son is a smart cookie on the way to being a good student who will go to a good uni… which wont be found out in the QLD bush… i cant bare the thought of being that far from him!

Le LoupLe Loup

Rick, if I could find a place as good as what I have for the right price I might consider it. Though right now we need to stay where we are.

Thanks for the comment Rick, appreciated. If I can ever be of any assistance with those skills, please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Regards, Keith.

Le LoupLe Loup

crystal post=336495 wrote: Ive thought about moving to where its cheapest, but that would mean being a LONG way from family, all ours are in Sydney. Also my son is a smart cookie on the way to being a good student who will go to a good uni… which wont be found out in the QLD bush… i cant bare the thought of being that far from him!

University of New England (UNE) is right on our door step.

owlbrudderowlbrudder

There are some things we cannot plan for and some things we cannot change by planning. Being at the mercy of unpredictable changes can make us feel helpless, but it is not so. The big message is: “Never, ever, ever, EVER give up”. Yes, if we hoard food and materiel, we MAY become victims of roaming bands of oiks, but we can minimise the risks in all sorts of ways. One of the most important traits of survivors is being inconspicuous, so don’t be driving a car when everyone else is walking and don’t be trigger-happy when protecting our hoards.

Having a stock of basic essentials is only useful until that stock runs out, so we should identify what is needed in order to survive and learn how to replace it in a low-energy society.

Energy intensity is the trap we have fallen into in the developed world and it would be irresponsible to not plan for a different future. We should use the resources currently available to us (cheap oil, cheap electricity, cheap internet, affordable books, available education) to replace energy intensity with knowledge intensity.

We should use every opportunity to widen our knowledge on every topic that might prove useful or productive. We should buy books on practical skills we might need, from butchery to building, from electricity to education. In some areas, there is an annual ‘bookfest’, where a local service club runs a large one or two day book market and there is often a good sprinkling of educational and do-it-yourself books at very affordable prices, if cost is paramount.

What sets us apart from the rest of the species on the planet, is written language. By this means, knowledge is able to be passed on from people long dead to current generations. We should use that vast store of knowledge to improve our minds. Books have the advantage that they can be used without electricity. (Speaking of which, it is a crying shame that mankind developed the incredible teaching tool of television, which reaches into all but the poorest and most remote corners of the world and we use it for soap operas, ‘Big Brother’ and wretched advertising. To think of all the good it could have done and to see it being used as an unpaid babysitter makes me very sad for our species.)

Arts and music will also be well regarded, when we look for distractions from the daily challenges of life, just as they are now. The ability to recite a poem, play a guitar, even hit two sticks together will provide welcome entertainment. If we have gifts in these areas, we should do our best to improve them and pass them on.

So, we should not be depressed about the future. It will be different, but then it is always going to be different. Change is the only certainty. The society we grew up in will probably not survive, but people will survive and a new society will develop, one suited to the knowledge and resources of the time. Cherish knowledge. Cherish education. Ensure all that we have learned is not lost to the following generations. All we can do is the best that we can with the bit each of us has to work with.

mauzimauzi

Nicely said owlbrudder.

mistyhollowsmistyhollows

:tup: Owlbrudder. I will still stock up on my books even though Apple are trying to make them obsolete with their new gadgets for schools and ipads.

crystalcrystal

Oh yes, Misty, ipads are NOT good for kids… get a book and a damn pen!! Im a mean nasty mum who makes my son hand write his assignments… and got a nice note from his teacher last year saying that she only accepts ‘TYPED’ ones! Hes in yr 5! Writting will last forever, what good will typing be when there are no computers?

Owl: Too true, and whilst the internet and paper are cheap ill keep using it to print off everything i could ever want to know!

Im an ‘anti-tv’ mum too… (wow, im nasty huh?) i watch 1 hour a week, my oldest gets 1hr a day on some days, the littlies get half hour some days, and the only show they have ever watched is in the night garden… We spent a fortune on outdoor play things and books and puzzles, craft things etc… they can play with those! My point is, a little hard work now will save our society later on!

GrethGreth

lots of interesting stuff here, the first shall be last tho.

Crystal, if your kids only get half an hour of TV, and I approve of that, make it playschool and not night garden, its good for them to be listening to real language without going thru a wakkapakka stage!

I entirely agree with owl, and worked on it, spent years accumulating herb knowledge and books and then wrote my own anthology to summarise it! Once youngest goes to kindy and I have some free hours will be working on a new edition, MUCH expansion and finally colour pictures, lol. Still have a few copies of the old one to sell, but honestly dont recommend them, I will have something much better by the end of the year.

Skills, real skills, being able to sew a button, make a woodwork project, bend some metal, grow something useful. Easy and fun when you can, totally alien and scary when you cant. Your stockpiles of flour wont last long at all, but grass always grows and all grass seed is flour waiting to happen.

Crystal if you need to live ‘out bush’ for financial reasons, be aware that distance education over the net is becoming increasingly available for your son. I did it with my daughter for a while, the open access people are really cool and you get piles of materials and books to work with, the library is phenomenal. Discipline will have to come from his own heart, or your firm hand, but many study opportunities are there. My son might have to go stay with city relatives while he studies, but that will just make him stronger.

RobyneRobyne

My granddaughters teacher last year doesn’t like the new type of readers as kids can’t pick what htey want at 5 years old. SHe goes into the library and picks out a book she wants to read. Because of the teachers way of learning she read 83 books last year and recieved a certificate from the premier for doing it. A very proud Dad has it on the wall for everyone to see. he was also a big reader at school. She turned 6 just before Christmas.

diannedianne
    Participant

crystal post=336384 wrote: Oh, yes, i meant if it was do-or-die! Not that id just wander off for fun. Also, my vision of the post-EOTW scenario has much less people, and a lot of ‘abandoned’ stuff. So if i ‘found’ a bunch of sheep wandering around, id take one. Also, sheep can provide wool, milk and eventually meat, winning combo of a multitasking animal if you ask me 😉

Its all in theory for me anyway… I have many ideas as to what id do depending onthe situation and im overwhelmed with the multitude of scenarios. How can i possibly be prepared for anything?

:wave: hay there Crystal,

you are right, there probablly will be a lot of wandering and abandoned aniamls around with people leaving there places and through sickness ect. I didnt think of that at the time I read your last post. I am now at the point of looking for that perfect place in the bush to set ourselves up for the upcoming SHTF, so am in the middle of knowing just how much money,time and effit it is going to take to get everything ready in time as I am so behind the ball, so when I read the “steal a sheep” I thought about it for a first hand view.

I am/was some what like you, stuck in a city with kids and not in the best money position. At the start it dose seam alittle too much to deal with but you just have to do the best with what you have. I started with no money but have saved up enough to set us up with once we do move, such as the gardens animals so on. I started with $5 a week. saved up enough to put in term deposits and then into a high interest account. now the banks are paying me :tup: I also have built up a stock pile but just buying one or two things that were on specal each time we went shopping. It will happen it just takes alittle time. Also you can pick up some indoor cloths hanging lines cheap in the shops like crazy clarks (you know the type) cost you under $10 and you can hang your cloths inside if need be, saves on the power bills. I now have a fancy one I use,I have been know to bring it inside and put it in the middle of the room under the ceiling fan (which is going anyway).

that old thing about “all the little things add up” is true. an extra can here, not buying that thing there, all adds up and before you know it you will be in a much better place than you are now :tup:

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 216 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.