Aussies Living Simply

Scenarios – What do you think will happen?

Home Forums SUSTAINABLE COMMUNITIES Peak Oil – where are we headed? Scenarios – What do you think will happen?

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 216 total)
  • Author
    mistyhollowsmistyhollows

Oh blimey I haven’t been on ALS for 2 days that took me ages to get through :jawdrop:

To go back to RW’s comment, I have wondered the same. If you have a diesel car which is running on biodiesel and others see you have it, I don’t think it will be in your possession for all that long, that’s not something I can say to the inlaws though. There is biodiesel being made in Australia, whether it would be available or not, I don’t know. We have stocked up on bikes here and parts are slowly dribbling in. I must say the Salvos are great for picking up second hand bikes if you don’t want to pay full price for one. I picked one up for DH there that had nothing wrong with it. Guess, someone got a new one for a pressie and the old was well ‘old’. Thank you very much to them.

Crystal, take it one step at a time. Write your ideas down on paper and work through it slowly if that helps. I have all these ideas running around in my head and I do need to write them down. My mind is a blank in a crisis 🙁 . I learnt that over the last 2 weeks when at different times I came home to find a bushfire on my doorstep. I should have been able to put a plan into action and failed miserably. I panicked and let myself down. Thankfully each time it was just the authorities doing burn offs (for which I was very thankful) but we had had no notifications from them for either. You live and learn….had they been for real I was in trouble.

We thankfully live out of town but I don’t doubt in the least that if the local ferals felt the need to they would walk, we are within walking distance. We could bunker down here if we had to though for a time. First and foremost for me is to make sure that my family has food. Grow your own, get chickens for eggs and meat and make it productive. We are in the process of finishing off the chicken coop then I am redoing the entire vege garden. It isn’t working as well as it could and part of my plan is to make it better so we are totally self sufficient in fruit and veg. You also need to make sure your veg garden isn’t as obvious in some ways, others if they need to will steal your food. You yourself said you would do this. :hug: Have your main vege garden then have other food plants interdispersed amoungst the other gardens. Even if someone does raid your “obvious” vege beds you will still have food. Plant taro, arrowroot, natives and make groves in your yard that just look like a large garden bed. There is so much you can ‘hide’ in there. Where as the ‘educated’ will recognise what you have done the joe average person will not.

I don’t doubt that at some time things will turn pear shape. Whether it is a sudden crash or a slow downward spiral where things progressively get worse. The better you are prepared the better you will cope, whether it’s food, fuel and getting around or just keeping an eye on what is going on around you in the media and knowing when to get out if it came to that extreme eg. I refuse to go back on facebook but I do keep my eye on twitter news. Others here read papers that aren’t mainstream or from other countries. Know what is going on around you as much as you can. I wish I’d known that the RFS and National Parks were burning off. I didn’t but thankfully my home is always prepared in bushfire season so had it been a serious fire we would have stood a chance. Keep a bug out bag in your car. I keep one in DH’s car as he travels A LOT. I know he can survive long enough to get home if he needs to. Small things like that may make a big difference. Invest in some homeschooling books. I use ours for extra work for the kids if they aren’t doing so well in a particular area but if for some reason the kids couldn’t get to school for whatever reason whether it’s a pandemic or something else, they don’t miss out. I use these books and they aren’t that expensive: http://www.homeschooling.com.au/

Sorry this was so long :whistle:

GrethGreth

Some ppl try to look at it like that, I dont

I can feed a cow but not cut it up, others can butcher but cant make beef stock.

As always in a human community, we must work as a team. If and when the SHTF, a lot of ALS people will have goods and skills to share, in exchange for goods and skills they dont have.

You can crochet and make garments from wool, you need someone to help provide the wool,you have a good basis. Slowly you might learn to work from raw wool, that would be a step forward. and from there, I can provide herbs to dye, others have lovely sheep and know how to shear, but may not know how to make a hat.

Expand your craft skills so that you can do things with minimal materials. Then you can make almost anything from almost nothing, and you have value to exchange for skills or goods you cannot possibly gain.

Im not strong, but I do know heaps about herbs, about growing and harvesting, can brew and distill and make products from my plants. I can do artistic stuff too, tho that isnt much use after the SHTF, I suppose my role would be to tell people how, more than doing things myself. They wont cull me as useless anyway!

It is really really hard in suburbia when you dont have space and the council hates chickens.My brother is trying it, but his bees and chooks are likely to cause problems, also all his fruit trees must be dwarf.

We could have bought 3 bed in city, we bought 3 bed and 85 acres in country, but only solar power and no mains water or services.But when I want to plant fruit trees, the only limitation is as far as I will carry water, dont need to be dwarfs. If I find a cheap or free cow or sheep, can bring them in and look after them. Just imagine my brother trying to walk the cow past his council!

crystalcrystal

Im writting over in the group discussions, to keep out of this thread lol! But yes, ive written a bit down and can only do what i can i guess… If the time comes and im not ready then thats really my problem, and where the ‘stealing’ comes in lol!!

GrethGreth

We shouldnt have to steal, we should be able to trade our skills or goods in a sensible way.

crystalcrystal

Greth, i understand the idea behind community, then wonder: were all so widespread on the forum, so, once TSHTF how do we get together? how do we combine our skills…? I cant ride my bike to QLD to pick up some herbs, or yarn? How do we contact others? Snail mail? Nope… yell? Kooey? lol!?

BlueWrenBlueWren

Very few of our like minded folk are actually on ALS.There’s lots of others out there.I think we’d find them if we had to.No harm in seeking out and joining other local sustainanbility type groups, craft groups etc, now either.

crystalcrystal

good point, but i dont plan to be local when TSHTF… We just spent a fruitless afternoon searching the entire NSW for properties… wow, we found 1!! in all of NSW, thats suitable…

mistyhollowsmistyhollows

All rightey, so I ran out of eggs tonight so I thought hmmmm I have powdered eggs in the cupboard……I am making an 8 egg quiche out of 3 fresh eggs and 5 powdered eggs. It’s my test to see if powdered egg makes the cut. This is real powdered egg not egg substitute.

If it works it’s something else to stock up on in the pantry. They do say to use what you store so…..Stay tuned 😛

Le LoupLe Loup

Too true Blue Wren. I think the majority of the people who follow my blog are actually more interested in the survival aspect of what we do rather than 18th century living history. Our group forum even has a “The Survival Connection” section on the forum.

I find it very frustrating trying to post on my group here, the forum is NOT the same as THIS one! Maybe I should close it down & come over here! You are all of course welcome at my blog & our forum if you wish. You will find a lot of information pertanent to survival. More so than the camo/firearms forums.

My Blog: http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com/

Our group’s Forum: http://eighteenthcenturylivinghistory.freeforums.org

Being a member of more than one forum is a good idea.

If anyone lives in the Armidale NSW area, I am prepared to instruct you in any skills, no charge, no strings.

Regards, Keith.

BlueWrenBlueWren

crystal post=336432 wrote: good point, but i dont plan to be local when TSHTF… We just spent a fruitless afternoon searching the entire NSW for properties… wow, we found 1!! in all of NSW, thats suitable…

Well, I didn’t mean just in town/city/suburb local , local rural too ……… fascinated by only ONE being suitable!!

crystalcrystal

oh yes, 6 kiddies remember, you try finding a 4 bed house under $300p/w in NSW… We looked at buying, but were still broke. lol, so until we can reduce our spending its not really an option.

crystalcrystal

OH, where did you get powdered eggs and how did they go in the quiche?

calliecatcalliecat
    Participant

wow heaps up here for that price

mistyhollowsmistyhollows

Crystal I got the powdered eggs from Coles and the quiche was lovely except I forgot to drain the kale and it had too much water in it and set but not properly but that was my own silly fault. I have used them before in cakes but not quiches. Very handy as a back up.

mistyhollowsmistyhollows

crystal post=336453 wrote: oh yes, 6 kiddies remember, you try finding a 4 bed house under $300p/w in NSW… We looked at buying, but were still broke. lol, so until we can reduce our spending its not really an option.

Crystal is right. Rentals in NSW are through the roof and that’s if you can get one. In our town last year someone paid 6 months rent in advance to secure a property. When you are up against that you have no hope. Add 6 kids to the mix and most agents probably won’t even consider you unless you have impeccable references and no animals with a double income. Have you looked at buying out west cyrstal? I’m not sure where you are in NSW. Down the far sth coast isn’t too bad but you have to go past Batemans Bay as all the Canberraites go there for holidays. Up north of Sydney is just wayyyy to expensive.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 216 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.