Aussies Living Simply

Scenarios – What do you think will happen?

Home Forums SUSTAINABLE COMMUNITIES Peak Oil – where are we headed? Scenarios – What do you think will happen?

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 216 total)
  • Author
    pennypenny

Good idea, I for one could do with losing a few kilos :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I just came across an interesting TED talk called “The Earth is Full” by Paul Gilding (Feb 2012) and thought I should post it here. We live in interesting times…

[video width=640 height=360 type=youtube]DZT6YpCsapg?[/video]

caddiecaddie
    Participant

Well that was interesting!!

What does it take to get people to listen instead of mocking?

owlbrudderowlbrudder

caddie post=342190 wrote: What does it take to get people to listen instead of mocking?

Sadly, most people will not be distracted from their daily activities of work, play and sleep, until a major crisis occurs. Given that a major crisis will probably mean that it is already too late to do anything to avoid disaster, I doubt we will see appropriate, concerted global action any time soon. We can hope that the ENSO cycle will flip to El Niño and cause global temperatures to soar, creating localised weather effects severe enough to shake people out of their complacency, but ‘hope’ may be the wrong word in that context. Hoping for disaster in order to avoid catastrophe is a strange dichotomy. Maybe our species deserves what is coming?

Le LoupLe Loup

I think it is the fact that many people don’t think anything will happen in their life time, & they may be correct. But what about the younger generation?! It is rather like the tobacco companies not giving a rats about other people so long as they are making money.

I know what you mean about disaster, something to shake them up. I am not sure what it would take, & I still do not fully understand these people’s attitude. We are not asking them to commit themselves to a lifetime of drudgery & unhappiness.

Regards, Keith.

KristyMumTo4KristyMumTo4

I’ve read Gilding’s book (as probably many of you have) and I would really like to share this vid on my blog but can’t figure out how to ‘put it’ in the blog post… pls yell out if you know how. Cheers

EDIT: I was just using the wrong code. sorted, thanks 🙂

Hi everyone. I’m glad you found Paul Gilding’s TED talk informative. For anyone interested, I’m also including a link to the Q&A debate that followed his original talk “The Earth is Full”. In this talk, two different views of the future are expressed and defended…

[video width=640 height=360 type=youtube]xca_J_trLTk?[/video]

RobyneRobyne

Is it me or does the yanks know something we don’t know

They are saying their government is stockpiling thousands of tons of food away. Are the Australian government doing it and not saying anything. Fema is telling everyone to stock pile for emergencies.

One of the books my late sister gave me was about the WW2 and how the English government took food from people for the war effort, made it law, will the Aussie government bring that law up as they tend to follow the English laws I believe the rule went back to the King John days around 1066.

I have down loaded plans for under ground cellars as I think they will be handy. My dad Made false walls in his cellar during the war so Mum and my sisters and her mother had food is this what is going to happen to us???? :shrug:

mistyhollowsmistyhollows

:wave: Robyne, from memory and looking into this quite some time ago with different state Gov regulations, some states do have laws that allow the confiscation of food in times of need. The NT in particular I think. Not sure about the others though but I do remember that one stood out to me :blink:

RobyneRobyne

What we have stockpiled I don’t want going to some polly who hasn’t done anything.

I remember reading on here that in NZ they also incouraged it then changed their minds. Just hope it doesn’t come here.

calliecatcalliecat
    Participant

Robyne post=342216 wrote: What we have stockpiled I don’t want going to some polly who hasn’t done anything.

I remember reading on here that in NZ they also incouraged it then changed their minds. Just hope it doesn’t come here.

me neither, or the stuff that I grow,

Le LoupLe Loup

Frankly I can’t see that happening here, this is not England. Dispite our government following Britain in its laws, this one would just not be accepted by the people.

Those are my thoughts anyway.

Regards.

AndreAndre
    Keymaster

I would not like it one bit if the ‘Powers that be’ decided to bring in a law where they could confiscate food in times of need. Not out of selfishness, but simply because most of us have access to the same information.

We have a good idea of what can happen in the future, so we prepare for it – same as some people take out life insurance etc …

Why should I (we), having ascertained information and decided to stockpile for teotwawki, then be required to hand over our food to other head-in-the-sand people?

If the government did its job, they could raid their own stockpiles and hand it out to the needy.

:whistle:

mistyhollowsmistyhollows

Wellllll in NSW under the State Emergency and Rescue Management Act from Austlii:

STATE EMERGENCY AND RESCUE MANAGEMENT ACT 1989 – SECT 38

Power to take possession of property

38 Power to take possession of property

(1) In a state of emergency, the Minister may, for the purposes of responding to the emergency, take possession and make use of any person’s property.

(2) If the property of a person is taken or used under this section that person is to receive such compensation as may be determined by the Minister, but is not entitled to receive compensation.

(3) Any such person may apply to the Premier for a review of any determination as to compensation made by the Minister under this section.

:dry: I don’t think it would be too much different in any other State.

calliecatcalliecat
    Participant

if they want it – they’ll take it

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 216 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.