Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

scaley leg mite

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    NaneNane

errrghhh!! I feel crawlys all over me just reading that post!! :blink: :laugh: gee it doesn’t take much for them to infiltrate a coop!

SteveSteve
    Keymaster

Mites can also come in on wild birds Nane. For example if sparrows can get in your coop (to eat the chook food) they can bring them in. This would be more the common mite (Red mite) I’d say…

NaneNane

we definitely get a lot of birds in our chicken coop! i’ll have to get some of those feeders the chooks step on to discourage all those mite carrying birds! :cheer:

DaylaDayla

be careful Nane with those step feeders. I spent $200 and my chooks won’t use it.

I just bought a Dina chook, I think we wrote about it further back in this post. Early days but the chooks seem to be using it.

I hang streamers and a lace curtain in the doorway and only have it open just enought to let the chooks in. This seems to have discouraged the rosellas and Currawongs.

The miners don’t really come this far up the valley but they do go into the chook house.

I have caught few in there using a broom to pin them to the wire mesh and then I grab them and give them a squeeze till they stop wriggling and drop them in the compost bin. Sounds gruesome to some people but it seems to keep them away and it is quick and they add to the compost, wonderful activators!

Dayla

NaneNane

bloody hell Dayla! gruesome!~lol I’m having visions of you doing it!! gneeegh! but yes, I’m sure it would be brilliant for the compost! 😉 I will look into those Dina chooks, I never thought about hanging anything in the doorway, I’m sure it wouldn’t take the chooks long to get used to it. I have to wonder how much extra feed we are paying for that the birds are eating?!

DaylaDayla

check out the post for birds eating my chook food, lots of stuff there.

D

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.