Aussies Living Simply

scaley leg mite

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Nane

Hi, anyone got any cures for scaley leg mite? We purchased some chickens from a lady and bought the mites as well I’m afraid, and as we didn’t know what we were looking for, it has begun to spread to some of our lovely rhode island reds…..we have coated their legs in oil, but I’m becoming more aware now that this problem may not be easily gotten rid off…..any ideas? I will be off to Roberts to see what they have

Nane

This is what Roberts and vet have to offer, Maldison 50 for chooks and spraying coop, Pestine powder for dusting coop, vet suggested Arisco face and leg mite and also Ivermectin for inside worming and secondary mite control. anyone tried these products?

Hummer
    Keymaster

Hi Nane.. I haven’t used any of those products that you have mentioned, I prefer not to use chemicals unless absolutely necessary.

Coating the chooks legs in oil is my preference.. I add tea tree oil to the mix & it needs to be done every second night for a week to 2 weeks.. & then it needs to be done periodically thereon after as well.

At the same time it is necessary to clean out all bedding and wash/scrub down all perches, walls etc with a solution of water, tea tree or eucalyptus oil, soap.

try not to use straw as a base in your chook pens as it is hollow and it provides the perfect hiding place for mites to live.

I hope this has helped somewhat.. I do know it is not easy to get rid of these mites once they take hold.

Hummer
    Keymaster

Also for worms.. monthly doses of crushed garlic in their water.. approx 1 clove per chook. I then alternate this with periodic additions of apple cider vinegar in the water. I don’t measure it.. I just don’t have it very strong.

This deals with worms 🙂

Gianna

I really like to use a thick coating of vaseline (generic is fine) on their legs. It stays on longer than oil and seems to smother those mites nicely. Sometimes just one application is enough. If you use some of those chemicals mentioned, you will have a withholding period on the eggs. Maldison is just nasty for everyone.

Iduna

I have used oil, Vaseline and Ivermectin when all else fails. It is something you have to keep an eye out for all the time as wild birds can bring it in as well. I found in the end Ivermectin worked the best but my hen was to the stage of losing toes when I got her. I did use oil and Vaseline for two months before I used the Ivermectin. There is a withholding of the eggs for 7 days after using it though.

Nane

Thanks for the tips! how has the oil/tea tree mix and vaseline gone if they have have quite bad legs? it hasn’t spread badly through the whole flock yet but is spreading. This is our first shot at chooks and we had no idea to look out for this. I will inspect the chooks today and see if the oil has helped. I like the natural worming tips as well. we have wood chips down in the coop that I will put a fresh lot in and clean the coop. what is a withholding stage?? Thanx again, I don’t want this to get out of control! :S

Bel

Hi Nane. A withholding period is a time for which you cannot eat the eggs, otherwise you may ingest traces of the nasty chemicals you have used to control the insects. As others have suggested, natural methods are a nicer way of controlling pests in your chook pen. The chemicals can be quite persistent (ie they hang around in the area/environment) and they also kill other beneficial insects in your garden like bees, worms, wasps and the like. If you are having trouble controlling mites, Pestene is probably the best of the bunch because although it’s lethal to insects, it’s from a natural source (cube roots). There are varying opinions on its affect on humans, but it’s generally (depending in State/country) approved in organic systems. I would try cleaning the coop and using oil/vaseline first, then move onto other methods like Pestene if you are unsuccessful. A friend of mine recently controlled her chooks with a single application of olive oil alone, so it’s amazing how well it works. I really must get onto my chooks – they are also showing signs of scaly leg mite. It’s been a bad year for mites…..

PS You may also like to do a search on plants that are good at repelling insects, like wormwood, tansy and the like. You can plant them near/in your coop, or put cuttings in the coop to deter bugs…

Nane

Thanx Bel, I won’t start panicking just yet then and keep doing the oil or try vaseline or tea tree with the oil, we have quite a lot of wormwood around so chuck some cutting in. Do you know how long as a minimum guide to do the oil like a month or two every second day?

Jarn

Hi, I have encountered the same issue, I bought 6 chooks from someone I was told was a reputable seller, but ended up with scaley leg,chook lice and sneezing chickens that infected my coop in a week. I hate chemicals, so I went the whole hog and cleaned all their pens and perches with tea tree oil/ soap and hot water, cut fresh daily tansy, wormwood, and anything else with a strong odor like rosemary, tarragon basil and spread in throughout their pen and nests. I dusted the chooks with charcoal dust from the fire (cooled down of cause) daily for two weeks. Bought a big jar of vasilene and coated their legs thickly daily for two weeks, after tow weeks when the legs looked a bit better I used olive oil in a spray (easier to put on), and put a clove of garlic down each chooks throat each day for the sneezing. A big two weeks but it worked and all is well, the legs took about another three to four weeks before I stopped the oil. You have to hit the problem hard and constantly until it is well gone. I’m sure chemical would be easier and quicker but I just think using chemicals on something that provides you with food is a bad idea.

good luck.

cheers Jarn :tup:

Nane

hi, well that definitely sounds like you hit those mites hard Jarn! well I went into town today all set to buy no chemicals, I picked up some vaseline but then made the (i think) error of going to vet to ask, well!, I walked walked out of there with an easy $40 less and a TINY plastic jar of Invermectin and Pestine for dusting their coop. . . . I didn’t pick up the Maldison 50 though that one person here said was quite harsh on the birds! so, sigh. . . . at least I have vaseline for their legs. Once I have these mites under control I’m going to go natural all the way! right at the moment though, I’m exhausted with my kiddies. . . and having trouble getting outside just to check food and water (although minimum twice a day), so ‘quicker’ fix me gave in a bit.

Vickie

Nane, i tried to reply earlier today but my kids were going crazy. Anyway, I wanted to say the pestine has worked for us, it is the best of a bad bunch in my opinion.

We had mites that live in the wood of the pen, and because these mites don’t live on the chook i never saw them until it was far to late. SO we ended up with a really bad infestation ,lots of our chicks that were hatching got anemia. ANYWAY..being a mum of small children and at the time we had around 30 chickens ( about half died) It was impossible for me to control the infestation.

don’t feel bad about what choices you make.. :hug:

i hope you can sort it out. it’s all trial and error 🙂

Jarn

Nane, great to hear you have a solution, I can totally understand your struggle with time with the young ones, I too have two little ones that demand more attention then there are hours in the day. But they are very cool little people so they deserve it. Good luck with the chickens and I hope my post may help somewhat in to future.

cheers Jarn 🙂

Just toss the eggs for at least a week (I would go 10 days) & dose your chooks with a bit of apple cider vinegar (the one with the mother in the bottle is best (it will look a bit cloudy) – Braggs brand is good) and crushed garlic to help them have a full health boost & feed them lots of green veg – I get boxes of green scraps from the local fruit & veg shops as well as an armful of homegrown silverbeet every day. A protein boost of bandsaw dust from the butcher will help them too. All of that will help their systems flush out the chemical effect & get them on track again.

There is nothing wrong with the decisions you’ve made. I have 80 odd chooks, 2 young homeschooled children, 2 bottle fed lambs, 10 ducks & 4 turkeys so I totally get the time factor issue! I’m considering doing similar with mine while they’re not laying much – I’ll only waste 5 or 6 dozen eggs. Actually, does anyone know – can I still incubate eggs from the witholding period?

Ravyk

Nane-You have made a decent decision. There is always a point where the infestation gets so bad that there isn’t anything to do but use medication-same thing can happen with worms, a heavy enough worm burden and garlic won’t have an effect. And trust me, the birds would thank you if they could…the medication will help kill the scaley mite quicker and get them feeling comfortable again.

Make sure you give their living areas a very very thorough cleaning after dosing them or you will just keep have re-occuring infestations.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.