Aussies Living Simply

Save water, give up beef, beer & coke

Home Forums SUSTAINABLE CONSTRUCTION, ENERGY and WATER CONSERVATION Water Conservation Save water, give up beef, beer & coke

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Wazza

I’m not a vegetarian, but this is food for thought. Professor Meyer from the CSIRO says it takes 55,000 to 100,000 litres of water to produce a kilogram of beef. This figure includes the amount of water required to grow fodder for the animals, the water they drink and water used in processing them. The UN’s Food & Agriculture Organisation says in a 400 page report that the world’s cattle herds emit more greenhouse gases than all the cars, planes and other forms of transport put together. If you enjoy a beer or a Coke, it takes 2.3 litres of water to make a litre of beer and 1.5 litres of water to make a litre of Coca Cola.

stark

its a bit like when they say every year it costs 1.2 million to raise a child to 18 or uni…which means my kids gonna be in a fair bit of trouble:D

you do wonder if these figures reflect reality sometimes

and as for 2.3 litres of water to make a litre of beer i dont care if it takes 50 litres it still worth it:tup:

Tullymoor

Um, I don’t think it’s quite $1.2 million per child Starkers…more like a hundred thousand odd.

Still, with 5 of them, it’ll sure add up :tongue:

Anonymous
    Inactive

it would also depend if they are going to Scotch College or Murtoa Secondary πŸ™‚

Herbman

Not to mention that university payments can be deffered through the hecs equivilent and when it comes out of your pay you don’t notice it (or at least I don’t). $1.2 million to raise kids to 18 … I wonder where that money came from to raise DS to his current 16 yrs b/c I want the change for $1.2 million that we didn’t use. Reckon it’d be well over $1.1 million – that’d make a nice holiday :rol: πŸ˜†

becca

Just think what a boost that would be to your water tank account, Herb! :tongue:

Herbman

Hahaha Becca – that’s a good one. Am adding some more cash to it tomorrow when I go to the bank.

osakasuz

Beef I can do without, same for coke, but beer?

Save water and greenhouse emissions – make your own beer at home: you reuse bottles each time, you catch the rainwater to make it and reuse the dregs on the garden or compost heap (beer sediment is an activator I heard…). No transport required to truck it to your home. It is as easy as boiling a kettle and stirring, and it saves money too!

Bullseye

Warm Earth wrote:

Professor Meyer from the CSIRO says it takes 55,000 to 100,000 litres of water to produce a kilogram of beef. This figure includes the amount of water required to grow fodder for the animals, the water they drink and water used in processing them. The UN’s Food & Agriculture Organisation says in a 400 page report that the world’s cattle herds emit more greenhouse gases than all the cars, planes and other forms of transport put together.

I wonder about people (researchers) who put themselves out there in the media with “data” like that… I’m a bit suspicious…

Those figures appear to be as ridiculous as the claim that it takes “21000 litres of water to produce 1kg of rice”, when in Australia it takes about 1600 L to produce 1 kg of rice and in places like Asia 5000 L.

It’s a simple fact a lot of water is used to produce food, there is no doubt about it… Don’t we all know it?

On a commercial scale water use is huge. To grow a 1 hectare crop of strawberries about 6 to 8 megalitres (6-8 million litres) of water per hectare is required plus the annual rainfall (1000 mm). To get an idea of how much or little water that really is, when 100 mm of rain falls on 1 hectare of land that equals 1 megalitre of water. One million litres doesn’t go very far!

So, we’d better stop eating strawberries too.

To grow fodder for beef production water comes from the sky, not from a dam then to pasture via an irrigator, with the majority of bovine fodder around world being grass not irrigated crops. Most beef is produced from grass fed animals not from feedlots.

I think the way those researchers arrived at their data, at least for fodder, is by the amount of rainfall per hectare of land used by the bovine. So say it is true that it takes 100,000 L to produce 1 kg of beef, and hypothetically speaking what if 90,000 litres goes to produce fodder and 10,000 litres for processing, etc. The way it’s calculated it is deliberately sensationalist because the rainfall is there regardless of the presence or absence of the bovine grazing.

How’s this for efficiency! What if all of a sudden nobody ate beef anymore and there was no beef production and no bovine on the paddocks, because the rain still falls, it would take 90,000 litres of rainfall to produce zero kg unit of beef!

Something else, bovine produce exhaust as bodily gasses of methane that lasts about 15 years in the atmosphere while cars produce CO2 (which lasts thousands of years), Carbon Monoxide and a host of other pollutants. Methane is not as serious a “greenhouse gas” as CO2 in the atmosphere, even though it breaks down to water and CO2. Nevertheless, natural rumen modifiers introduced to the bovine gut are able to cut bovine emissions by about 30%.

So, should we really be cutting back on production of rice, beef, wine, etc, etc, and the delicious strawberry?

Or, shouldn’t we really do something soon about controlling the human population?

njh

I wonder about people (researchers) who put themselves out there in the media with “data” like that… I’m a bit suspicious…

In another thread I’m being lambasted for not knowing the research literature on the goodness of aquaponics, here we question the quality of a research body.

The way it’s calculated it is deliberately sensationalist because the rainfall is there regardless of the presence or absence of the bovine grazing.

If that water were not used for the cows it could be used for something else (kangaroos? grasshoppers?). Your argument is like saying that it doesn’t matter that you have a mortgage, because your income would be there regardless of the presence or absence of the mortgage.

Something else, bovine produce exhaust as bodily gasses of methane that lasts about 15 years in the atmosphere while cars produce CO2 (which lasts thousands of years), Carbon Monoxide and a host of other pollutants. Methane is not as serious a “greenhouse gas” as CO2 in the atmosphere, even though it breaks down to water and CO2. Nevertheless, natural rumen modifiers introduced to the bovine gut are able to cut bovine emissions by about 30%.

More significant by far is the fact that cars put new carbon into the system, cows merely circulate stuff already present.

Or, shouldn’t we really do something soon about controlling the human population?

I was under the impression that talking about population and number of children was taboo here. πŸ˜‰

https://www.aussieslivingsimply.com.au/forum/viewthread.php?forum_id=25&thread_id=4110

Anonymous

We have one steer. It drinks the water from a small dam. The dam is filled by rain. It eats the grass that is watered by the rain. Occasionally it gets some oats grown on our biodynamic farm in the mallee. The oats have no chemicals sprayed on them and are not irrigated. They are watered by rain…

I see the problem here! It’s the rain! The rain is wasting all that water. What we need is a hotter drier climate to stop that rain from using so much water.

Problem is being solved.:uhoh:

(Until it rains, then we will all have to come up with another theory.)

Bullseye

njh wrote:

If that water were not used for the cows it could be used for something else (kangaroos? grasshoppers?).

I was under the impression that talking about population and number of children was taboo here. πŸ˜‰

Bovine

With bovine grazing pasture the area of land already supports animals such as grasshopper, kangaroo, wallaby, dingo, rabbit, hare, bandicoot, lizard, snake, quoll, wren, quail, many other birds, herbs, shrubs, trees, etc, etc. The grassland ecosystem is not a sole supporter of one animal and a few pasture species. The amount of rainfall is supporting a whole host of life. So what you can see I’m getting at here is the water use figure is not entirely going to beef production. I doubt the water use figure is correct.

Compare that with growing, strawberries, wine grape vines, cut flowers or tomatoes. To get better yields it is necessary to exclude as much life from the land area while using additional water other than what falls from the sky. Beef production is largely done in low rainfall areas that’s another factor that places doubt on the 100,000 litres per 1 kg of beef.

If beef production was stopped it would likely be taken up by some other form of livestock production on those areas of land, i.e. goats, sheep. Goat meat is the most consumed meat worldwide. Land type and rainfall determines the type of production. Fruit, vegetable and grain production is not likely to take it’s place. Land then left idle, agriculturally speaking, will become a huge weed infested, bushfire, catastrophe that no one could afford to deal with. We can’t adequately deal with weed infestations now and many would argue the same for bushfire control.

Reforestation of grazing land is not a solution to storing CO2 permanently in the soil. As I’ve stated a number of times here, only grassland ecosystems and grazers (consumers) can achieve that, just as they changed the atmosphere (before human existence) that we enjoy today.

Human Population

Nobody is going to argue that we need an even greater human population to ensure our environmental integrity, are they?

πŸ™‚

Bullseye

PS I gave up Coke but not Beef ‘n’ Beer. πŸ˜†

Bullseye

Rob6014 wrote:I see the problem here! It’s the rain! The rain is wasting all that water.

:clap::lol::lol::lol:

Bullseye

“I believe in these difficult and mean-spirited times in which we live there needs to be a message of hope. Just a single image that speaks to us of love, harmony, peace and joy. An image that suggests the universal brotherhood of man. I have found that image, and I ask that all of you take a moment to reflect on it.”

:hug:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.