Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Saffron bulbs

Home Forums HOMEMADE Herbs Saffron bulbs

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    BobbeeBobbee

Hi floks, I have bought 6 saffron bulbs which are shooting madly and I must get them in the ground.

I was tempted to plant them in the glass house thinking they need heat but it says on the instruction

sheet that Vic (among other places) is a good place to grow them. :S

So, should I plant them under a tree, under a tall bush, out in the open, or where? Remembering this

is a WET Vic autumn at the moment. I truly feel the need for some consultation so if anyone has

any experience with saffron bulbs or if anyone just thinks they have some ideas about the growing of

saffron bulbs, I would dearly like to hear what you have to say. :shrug:

What say you alsers?

:hug: :hug: :hug:

BlueWrenBlueWren

http://www.nurseriesonline.com.au/Articles/Grow%20your%20own%20Saffron.html

Interesting LandLine transcript about a couple growing saffron in Tasmania.

http://www.abc.net.au/landline/stories/s556192.htm

Mauzi! There’s another new project for you !!

How to grow saffron

BobbeeBobbee

Wow thanks for that BlueWren. Heaps of interesting info on those links. :clap: :clap: :clap:

:hug:

FarmerJackFarmerJack

Cool! I want to grow saffron too, good luck with it. Where did you get your bulbs from they sound very strong.

IdunaIduna

Mine are shooting to but they were replanted out last year. I have mine in full sun and I added potting mix and sheep manure with some compost. I dug their spot out of line stone so I added some sulphur.

BobbeeBobbee

I bought my bulbs from Green Harvest. :tup:

Thanks Iduna. :hug:

I have been looking around the area for a spot that gets all day sun, :S . The best I can probably do is all morning and up to about half way through the afternoon I think, it will depend on the time of the year. :shrug:

I can give them drainage and compost and fertilizer though so I am planting out tomorrow. :tup: Might put three bulbs in one spot and three in another, sort of hedging my bets. :tup:

BobbeeBobbee

:jawdrop: :jawdrop: Well I am gobsmacked!!!!! :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

I planted my saffron bulbs a week ago and yesterday harvested 2 lots of saffron. Two bulbs had flowered, another bulb is making petals, one of the first bulbs to flower is growing another flower along side from the same bulb. Three other bulbs have broken through the soil and the 6th is yet to show.

I know we are having a cold wet spell and I know that saffron grows on or just below the snowline in some countries, but surely this is QUICK!!!!!

BlueWrenBlueWren

I should think so!! :jawdrop: :jawdrop: Cottage industry for you Bobbee?

SteveSteve
    Keymaster

Well done! I imagine you would need a lot of flowers to get a decent harvest.

BobbeeBobbee

Yep Steve, gazillions!!! :jawdrop:

BlueWren, don’t I wish!!!! :S :laugh: :laugh:

leandajsleandajs

Hi,

I’m new on ALS, but I grew saffron last autumn and they came up as early as yours. Crocus are said to be the first flowers of Autumn. I’ve read that they like good drainage and don’t need to be dug up between flowering/sprouting so I kept mine in a terracotta pot. They don’t like to be too wet either… Mine are just coming back up this Autumn 🙂

BlueWrenBlueWren

Hi leandajs :wave: and welcome to ALS.You have found a great, friendly place where folk are more than happy to share their knowledge and experience.Hope your saffron bulbs just keep on flowering! :tup:

SnoopySnoopy

Was in Woolies today and noted that about 12 stamens in a little plastic tube were priced at $12.75 (The ticket suggested that was something like $1215.20 per 10 grams!) It reminded me to make sure I plant some crocus shortly!!! 😉

mauzimauzi

lol Bluewren, it is another project. I have a few bulbs on trial at the moment, see how it goes. DH is Cornish and saffron is an important ingredient in cornish food…things like saffron cake etc.

Bobbee crocus grow really well in Tasmania I believe, not sure about here but I am giving it a go. I should think Victoria would be good although from what I understand they like well drained soil. My word that was a quick return on your plantings, well done. :clap: they must like it at your place.

IdunaIduna

From what I got last year from just 6 bulbs I didn’t do too badly. On average each bulb has 3 flowers, each flower has 3 stamens. So they pay themselves back fast. I had yellow finger tips for days.

This year no flowers but they have already started to shoot leaves.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.