Aussies Living Simply

RW's Weight Loss No Frills Boot Camp

Home Forums SIMPLE SUSTAINABLE LIVING Life Changes RW's Weight Loss No Frills Boot Camp

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    roadwarriorroadwarrior

“You’re obese!” said my doctor. He has a way of not mincing his words.

I said “well I know I’m overweight a bit, but surely I’m not obese?”

“No, you’re obese. Here look at the chart.”

So I looked at the chart (height vs weight), and it said I was obese. And not just a little bit, not just bordering on fat. I was smack bang in the middle of obese.

Of course I knew this already. I had looked at my profile in the mirror.

I was just like that guy on TV; as he runs further he ages, and as he ages he gets fatter and fatter to the point where he doesn’t have the stamina to play with his daughter. I had become that guy. Slowly but inevitably my love of good food, and the love of my wife and mother-in-law to feed me was slowly killing me.

I looked at myself and realised I was a hypocrite. Preaching to everyone about preparing for emergencies, and I couldn’t even get out of my own way fast enough to save my life. Something had to be done.

Most diets combine calorie control with exercise. I’ve tried that before, and the more I exercised the hungrier I got, and the more garbage I ate. I would ride to work in the morning, but by the time morning tea came I was ravenous. I loved my sausage rolls and muffins for morning tea, and my wastline showed it. And I found I couldn’t concentrate at work if I was hungry, so I’d always have snacks handy too. I was the junk food king.

I knew that I was too overweight to exercise effectively, and there was no way I could ride to work anymore.

So I devised an initial plan based only on calorie control. I would still crave my favourite foods though, so I made a deal that I could still eat anything I wanted, just significantly less of them. that way I was less likely to break the diet.

Some non-essential foods had to go though. And this is one of the keys to this diet…some of the things we eat and drink have absolutely no nutritional benefits at all; they are just coloured sugar.

Rule #1 No soft drink. If you drink this stuff and crave it sometimes for a sugar hit, diet can be considered as a limited alternative to help the cravings, though I don’t think the stuff is real healthy. I mainly only drink water and full cream milk. Yes, you heard me right, full cream loaded with yummy fat globules, milk.

Rule #2 No juice. Orange juice, pineapple juice, mixed with lemonade was my favourite on a hot day after riding home. Massive sugar hit!

Rule #3 No morning tea. I’d still eat a full breakfast of three wheat biscuits, but sometimes I felt that made me hungrier. Time to toughen out the hunger pangs.

Rule #4 Small lunch in a can. Here’s where all the peak oil preps helped. I’d have a can of Heinz chunky soup. It’s more of a casserole than a soup. The one with the black label and lean steak is the best. It has lots of meat and is a big can, but most of it is water so it helps fill my belly.

This is the cheap-a#$% version of Jenny Craig and all those other weight loss programs where you have the food delivered. Do you think there is any difference between their heat-sealed microwaveable TV dinners and a can off the shelf? About $4 is the only difference.

Rule #5 No exercise. Seems strange doesn’t it? But exercising would just make me hungry and I’d over-eat to compensate. My theory was to reduce the quantity of food I was eating, therefore reducing the size of my stomach. Then after a while I wouldn’t feel as hungry and wouldn’t want to eat as much.

Rule #6 Eat a decent sized dinner, but still cut bank on the quantity. It didn’t matter what I ate, i could eat a full pizza before all on my own. Now I’d leave a few slices or eat only half. My brain was happy…I was still getting all those yummy flavours, but my belly was gradually getting used to eating less.

And the last…

Rule #7 Daily weighing. There’s nothing worse than going to a lot of effort and not seeing any gain. If you have successfully reduced the number of calories you eat compared to those you burn, your body will loose weight whether you like it or not. The average male my age requires 9,000 kJ a day if not exercising. Reduce your consumption down to 8 or 7,000 and you will gradually loose weight.

This is exactly what happened to me. Each day I’d loose a few hundred grams. Sometimes if I wasn’t as strict I wouldn’t loose any weight. At the end of the week I’d loose between 1 kg and 1/2 kg.

But at the start I couldn’t see any changes in my body because they were so subtle. the scales never lied, and with a gradual visible loss of weight I was encouraged to continue.

At some stage I new I’d plateau. When I was no longer burning as much calories because I carried less weight on my back, and my weight loss would drop to nothing. I’m at that stage now.

But my stomach can’t handle anywhere near as much food as it used to. Yesterday I ate a bacon and egg roll (remember, I’m still eating most of the same foods), and I could feel the acid coming up my throat because something like that can no longer fit in my gut all at once. I’m not as hungry as I was and it’s now a lot easier to eat less food.

Now that I’ve plateaued, it’s time to start exercising again.

When I started all this I was 104 kg. I’m now 93. I plateaued at 94 a few weeks ago, and after a week of exercise I’ve lost another kilo.

When I get to 90 kg I’ll go back to the doctors and have another look at that chart and see if anything else has changed, like my blood pressure and waist circumference.

The changes in my body have been dramatic. My face looks half the size. My wife can see my dimples again when I smile. The second chin has gone, and my gut no longer hangs over my belt. There’s still a way to go with my belly size, but the wife is definitely happy with the improvements there so far.

I feel energetic and healthy, compared to bloated and tired. I encourage anyone else who has ever had trouble dieting to give it a go. Don’t eat those sugar foods/drinks, and don’t exercise until you’ve reduced the size of your stomach and some of the weight you’re carrying.

rw

DennisDennis

RW. Very good and to the point. I see some of these blokes that talk survival and they take a shopping trolley for a couple of reasons. First to put there gear in and second to hang there gut on the handles. I think what you said is a great move, get one self as healthy as possible then the rest will be a lot easier.

BoonahgirlBoonahgirl

Congratulations RW, You sound chuffed. Sometimes it all gets too complicated and you’ve simplified it beautifully. Encouraging to others.

Hummer HumbugHummer
    Keymaster

Congrats on reducing yourself in size RW, it is not always easy!

I have never been one to live by the scales.. prefering to let my clothes and the way I feel dictate to me.

I’m glad you have found a way that works for you.. that is indeed the secret 😉

I enjoyed your post and keep up the good work, life does look a whole lot different when our mind and body are healthy and working in tandem 🙂

Anonymous
    Inactive

You may find the book ‘Sweet Poison’ very interesting 🙂 I went sugar free (which is really low fructose but people understand sugar more than fructose) in January, started loosing weight then stopped. So I reduced my carb intake and am back to losing the 500g or so a week I was losing 🙂

Hummer HumbugHummer
    Keymaster

This is a long but interesting vid of what damage, too much sugar in our diet does to us..

Robert H. Lustig, MD, UCSF Professor of Pediatrics in the Division of Endocrinology, explores the damage caused by sugary foods. He argues that fructose (too much) and fiber (not enough) appear to be cornerstones of the obesity epidemic through their effects on insulin.

roadwarriorroadwarrior

Don’t get me wrong, I’m still having the occasional treat. But before I might have eaten half a packet of biscuits in a day, now I’ll have two biscuits. I’d eat a whole big packet of twisties on my own, now I’ll have less than half the packet and rarely.

I’d easily sit down to a big plate of ice-cream. I had a bowl the other day and felt sick afterwards. Reducing the size of my stomach has been the best thing I’ve ever done. Now I’m finding I’m not even craving those naughty food I used to eat regularly.

Once I significantly cut down on the sugar I found I was craving salt. Chips seemed like an option, but when you look at how many kilo-joules are in a whole packet, you’ve got almost 1/3 your daily energy requirements.

There was a website that also helped me count my calories.

Sample Daily Kilojoule and Nutrient Calculator

It’s not really detailed as much as I’d like, but it certainly helps.

Also if you cut back on salt, another big killer, you’ll find you loose a few kilos really quickly just in water.

I’m looking after the kids on my own this arvo and we all got an attack of the munchies, so I cooked up some pop-corn. A good healthy alternative to chips. we put salt on them for flavour, but at least we’re able to control how much we put in them. There are so many foods with hidden salt and sugar.

roadwarriorroadwarrior

That video is great Humbug. It has it right there! Energy in Vs Energy out. Plus my diet has significantly cut back on sugar, while keeping the fibre, fat, carbs (though a lot less carbs too) and protein.

I’m going to keep watching….this is awesome.

AirgeadAirgead

roadwarrior post=308626 wrote: There are so many foods with hidden salt and sugar.

Very true. In a vegemite sandwich made on commercial bread, there is often more salt in the bread than the vegemite…

Cheers

Dave

GrethGreth

Congratulations, mostly for realising you have a problem and finding some ways you can deal with it yourself.

Hubby was distinctly beergutted when I married him, he has become quite a bit more lean on what I feed him.

He has not had to give up any favourite foods, steak and chips still happen, just a smaller serve than his greed would normally dictate and the rest of the plate contains veggies. He doesn’t mind lettuce or carrot or peas or broccoli or tomatoes or corn, these fill up the space left from the monster steak cut down to 200 grams. And by the time I add gravy and his fav mushies, it looks and tastes like a great meal, but it is healthier than what he ate before he married. He also had probs with piles, to be blunt, but the higher veg diet has cured all that too, and his bowels sing my praises!

The kids eat much the same, and none of them is even a tad overweight, son in fact scored great points when he did fitness tests for PE.

Eat slowly, it takes about 20 mins for your stomach to register that you are full, if you eat too fast you can overload it before it has time to tell you.

I don’t have weight probs, never have, but curious about people who do. I guess from my outside perspective that one of the keys is good cooking. Veg which is tasty and well prepared replaces a lot of the fatty foods, resulting in satisfaction without too many calories. MMMM, we are having crunchy roast potatoes, roast pumpkin, delicately boiled peas, roast carrot, maybe some mushies and baked tomato for dinner. OH, and roast chook with gravy. Try buying that for less than $20 at the pub! Nah, I grew many of them, so should come in at less than $15 for a family of five. This is a treat meal tonight, usually much cheaper.

mistyhollowsmistyhollows

Well done RW in what you are doing. We have decided recently that we could do with some improvement in the fitness stakes, yes 2 skinny kids included :laugh: . One of those kids is in fact too skinny and we are trying to put weight on him!

It may be worth looking into the CSIRO diet. It is based on a high protein intake which obviously includes a lot of meat which many males prefer. My DH included, but there is a massive veg proportion of it and only 2 serves a day of fruit which limits the fructose intake via fruit. If you eat low GI veges they make you feel fuller for longer.

Untoasted muesli I found to be a huge change at breakfast. It makes you feel full all morning and I found I didn’t crave morning tea when having it. It is also low GI so it means your body takes longer to absorb and process it. I use the organic muesli from Aldi and its really good. If you want something sweet on it you can always add low fat yoghurt.

The snacks are where you put it on though and I found having fruit for those or in the arvo when your tired and you really are craving the sugary and fatty foods that replacing the old food with the popcorn (like you did with the kids) or something like savory biscuits and cheese or a fruit and nut mix keeps the munchies at bay. My big problem is the snack attack around 9pm and I’m still trying to work out what to eat then and it’s my big, big failing.

My plan is to exercise for at least 30min a day 5 days a week (well that’s what I decided yesterday) then as the body gets used to that increase the exercise. We go for a family bush walk every Saturday, we started that about a month ago instead of working all weekend around the property. There are so many local areas we can go to walk that we just don’t use and the kids are loving it and we are all improving fitness at the same time. So I guess that makes 6 days of exercise a week only on the Saturday it doesn’t really feel like you’re exercising at all.

GrethGreth

My biggest problem now is that DH still thinks he should have the biggest serve, but actually my teenage son needs more calories, so I have to fudge meals a bit to make it look like DH has the most, while DS gets to fill his hollow teenage legs. DS rides to school a coupla kilometres, does PE, is underweight already and really needs to feed up.

Really, DS needs a bigger serve than DH, but DH would kick up a fuss if he thought his plate was less full. Now how do I deal with this? At some stage DH must realise his calorie requirements are less than those of DS, so DS gets the biggest bit of steak. How to show him to give the biggest portion to the growing boy?

kimblekimble

Great work. Ive gone from 127 to 90 kgs in 6 months, and still losing, albiet much slower. A mix of overcoming health issues and diet + a return to regular exercise. Check this out for a place to start re: diet http://www.paleonu.com/get-started/

Eating this way has literaly saved my life.

Cheers.

Kim

Lady BeeLady Bee
    Keymaster

Bloody Nora! Talk about a blast from the past!

Welcome back Kim. Been years!

Hummer HumbugHummer
    Keymaster

Lady B post=308685 wrote: Bloody Nora! Talk about a blast from the past!

Welcome back Kim. Been years!

Ditto!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.