Aussies Living Simply

Rotary Cutters…HELP =]

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Melrose

So I only found out about rotary cutters today.

What I would like to know is what size, brand, size blade should I get. And How do I find a good relatively cheap mat?

heres what I’m doing. I want to cut straight lines in fleece about 2.5m long.

My scissor job for this distance is….ok but not great and I really need good straight lines. So I had a Rotaru cutter suggested to me. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks =]

Ravyk

Olfa brand cutters are probably one of the best brands. I use a 45mm blade for quilting. If you can wait for it, I’d buy the handle and blades online-much cheaper than in store. Plus fleece will blunt the blade quicker than quilting cotton does so you may need multiple blades.

Mats-I use a Birch brand mat from Spotlight. Can’t remember the price but they are still relatively expensive for the large mats. IMO the small mats are useless.

To help with straight lines make sure you use a metal ruler.

calliecat
    Participant

a word of warning KEEP FINGERS AWAY FROM ROTARY CUTTERS

I know it’s the logical thing to do, but slips can happen,

AND THEY HURT!!!

they are very sharp, – just always keep in mind,

and ONLY USE WITH PATHCWORK RULER, NOT A NORMAL ONE

I would not be using a normal schoolroom ruler with one – it’s very easy for it to slip, and it slides over the ruler, and there go your fingers

I’m not saying don’t get one, they are the best thing for cutting – but just be very aware of how lethal they can be if it slips across the ruler

and seriously, only use with a patchwork rulernot a normal school ruler

karyn26

I agree with calliecat,you need a quilting ruler as they are a thicker ruler,plus the ruler will need to be long enough to hold the material down.

Rotary cutters can and do jump the ruler so take it slow and easy,when you have finished cutting and before you put the cutter down,retract the blade.this helps keep fingers safe.

Also if you have any little ones keep it out of reach.

starting out with these items can be expensive though if you intend to do a lot of cutting they work out in the long run.

Try other sewing shops not just spotlight.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.