Aussies Living Simply

rodent-proof containers?

Home Forums HOMEMADE Home Preserving, Food Storage and Stockpiling rodent-proof containers?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    kiwimamakiwimama

Hi all, I’m wondering where to get large rodent-proof containers for storing grain, please?

🙂

osakasuzosakasuz

How large?

we have a good quality metal garbage bin for the dog’s food and never had even a cockroach in it, we keep the food in a plastic liner in it.

kiwimamakiwimama

I guess to hold something like 10 kilos each, that way they’d be manageable for handling. Thanks!

I use wheelie bins for storing things like chook food, hay etc. They will take a 40kg bag of horse food or a full bale of hay or straw. Never had a problem with rodents getting in. Handy to move about, when we had horses, I would wheel the bin to the car, tilt it over and hook it on the towbar, and then slide the bag of feed in. For smaller quantities, I use metal garbage bins, like R-a.

P

kiwimamakiwimama

Wheelie bins are a good idea!

I was imagining something airtight too, like those big tins you used to get cabin bread in or something.

marzmarz

I use a normal plastic garbage bin for the chook food, kept outside for 12 months and have yet to see a ‘mouse nibble’ on it – takes 20kg bag of feed. Also the local produce store sells white food-grade containers with lids and handles – 20kg for $8.50. Some have labels on them like ‘Sour Cream’ and ‘Ice Cream Mix’. Also saw them at market for $3 – after I’d bought 6 🙁

We keep molasses and stuff in them for the steers.

GiannaGianna

You can buy clean 200 litre plastic drums from some feed stores for about $30.

I had chook food in a normal plastic garbage bin in the shed once, and the rats gnawed holes in the side and got into the feed.

P

jaymesjaymes

many years ago we had the dog biscuits in one plastic rubbish bin and the chook food in another. Then we found the holes from the possums, about 7cm diameter. Now the food is all in galvanised rubbish bins

marzmarz

Kookaburra Dreaming wrote:

I had chook food in a normal plastic garbage bin in the shed once, and the rats gnawed holes in the side and got into the feed.

P

I keep ours outside – the rats seem to be too busy in the shed to bother with it, must be warmer in there (and more deadly!) :rip:

zippyzippy

Brewing shops have the plastic buckets with air tight lids, the one around here is soo expensive, but it’s worth a try in you area.

zippyzippy

Brewing shops have the plastic buckets with air tight lids, the one around here is soo expensive, but it’s worth a try in you area.

GgangGgang

for all animal feed we use either an old fridge laying on its back with partitions where the shelves were or an old freezer ( bit big for 10kg bags )

G

drdreaddrdread

old defunct chest freezers or frigs thown on their backs if you have the space

the best!;)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.