Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

"Respect the Science" Campaign. Aussie scientists receiving death threats!

Home Forums SUSTAINABLE COMMUNITIES Global warming and climate change "Respect the Science" Campaign. Aussie scientists receiving death threats!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    BullseyeBullseye

Apparently anti climate change hysteria and climate change misinformation generated by some climate change deniers has turned ugly, where some people are contacting Australian scientists with death threats.

Cowardly. :angry:

However…

Scientists hit back amid fresh death threats

By science reporter Sarah Clarke

Top Australian scientists have united in a new campaign to defend their credibility amid fresh death threats aimed at key climate change scientists.

In an unprecedented move in Canberra today, more than 200 scientists will converge on Parliament House to call on politicians to help stop misinformation in the climate debate.

Their concern is that the hysteria has now escalated and is spilling over into attacks on their work and threats to their personal safety.

Anna Maria Arabia is the CEO of the nation’s peak scientific body, FASTS – the Federation of Australian Science and Technological Societies.

Ms Arabia, who is launching the ‘Respect the Science’ campaign at Parliament House today, told ABC News Breakfast she had received a fresh death threat only this morning.

“We know there have been some very serious death threats in the past, this is completely unacceptable,” she said.

an email threatening my life. No scientist should ever have to have their life threatened simply for doing the work they need to do.”

Earlier this month, a number of the country’s top climate change scientists, including several at the Australian National University (ANU), were targeted by death threats and reported receiving abusive phone calls for months.

ANU was forced to move its scientists to a more secure location and introduced other security measures.

Ms Arabia says today’s campaign launch is aimed at restoring public confidence in science, as the hysteria in the climate debate spills over into attacks on all research.

“It is really aimed at looking at the misinformation campaign that’s being run against the scientific evidence largely coming from the climate change debate … and seeing how that is undermining the nation-building work of our scientists,” she said.

“So it’s really asking the public to have the confidence to respect the science, because there is a very robust methodology behind the scientific information that we use to make decisions every day.”

Ms Arabia says the misinformation campaign is largely being run by climate deniers.

“It’s unfortunate, because it’s aimed at creating confusion, and it really places a question over the validity of the scientific process,” she said.

The group of scientists hope that by detailing how the process works, the public will better understand the intense scrutiny the science must undergo in the peer review process, before major decisions can be made.

Chief scientist Ian Chubb, who provides advice to government ministers and the Prime Minister, says science results are rigorously tested.

“It is about ensuring that people understand that there is proper science, properly conducted, properly reviewed and properly debated,” he said.

“And the consequences of that debate may change the way we think or they may confirm what we think, but there’s a process that underpins everything we do.

“I think it’s too easy for people to pick one little bit of this or that and constantly ram it home, because there are a lot of people in the world who know that you don’t have to be bright, you just have to sow doubt.”

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/06/20/3248032.htm

AirgeadAirgead

Yep. I don’t care what your beliefs are or how strongly you believe them, you don’t express them by threatening to kill someone for presenting contradictory evidence.

Support our scientists.

Cheers

Dave

Anonymous

yep no room for vigilanty type talk.

still won’t support or respect the falicy of this science but.

len

calliecatcalliecat
    Participant

I’,more concerned about all the GM trials that are being allowed in this country,

but as you say, death threats are not the answer

climate change is just that, climate ‘change’

pennypenny

There is NEVER any excuse for threatening anyone over anything. I subscribe to a quote attributed to Voltaire “I may not agree with what you say but will defend to the death your right to say it”

BobbeeBobbee

Forgot to say that in my opinion death threats, especially anonymous ones, are a cowardly action and not to be tolerated in any decent society.

There’s a video on ABC News – Environment section – ‘World’s Oceans facing unprecedented extinctions’. A news report on the same topic is on Yahoo 7 news.

Very interesting and well worth a look, imo.

Take care,

Bobbs :wave:

earthworm42earthworm42

Hi,

i agree it is so confusing when you can’t find good reliable data without the misinformation from either side.

what is the misinformation that you have herd?

ew42

AndreAndre
    Keymaster

Yep.

Violence is the refuge of the incompetent and the ignorant.

👿

.. and I don’t think any science itself is a fallacy .. it simply IS.

The real fallacy is the twisting of the information … or the misinterpretation of the information. (whether that be by scientist, politicians or Joe Bloggs down the road).

SurvegalistSurvegalist

I don’t think it’s right also but,did anyone actually research the date or year that these threats were committed and reported.Some are years old,just saying.

Yes,they happened but criky,MSM and the political wheel is very blatent in keeping the truth as to the time frame from being published.Either that or some ppl just run with whatever they are fed.

Respect the science is a joke and so is respect the media.

AirgeadAirgead

Survegalist post=314955 wrote: I don’t think it’s right also but,did anyone actually research the date or year that these threats were committed and reported.Some are years old,just saying.

Old or not, the mere fact that they have occurred is shameful. There is no “just saying” about it.

Respect is no joke. Any threats are completely unjustified, unjustifiable, abhorrent and disgraceful. No matter how deeply held your beliefs, do do not threaten those who hold opposing views.

The fact that our scientists feel they need to mount a campaign like this makes me very sad and ashamed indeed.

Dave

SurvegalistSurvegalist

Airgead post=314959 wrote:

I don’t think it’s right also but,did anyone actually research the date or year that these threats were committed and reported.Some are years old,just saying.

Old or not, the mere fact that they have occurred is shameful. There is no “just saying” about it.

Respect is no joke. Any threats are completely unjustified, unjustifiable, abhorrent and disgraceful. No matter how deeply held your beliefs, do do not threaten those who hold opposing views.

The fact that our scientists feel they need to mount a campaign like this makes me very sad and ashamed indeed.

Dave

Hey Dave,I said I didn’t think it was right and I don’t agree with those tactics at all but,for the “love of Mike”,It’s a media/political beat up..made to sound like they are all being threatend lately,like it’s BS.The scientists that were secretly placed happened YRS ago mate,not last yr or even the last 2 yrs.It’s political/media crap flogging a very SMALL dead horse.Not that the threat was small but the fact that those scientists were relocated back out of “Hiding”not long after.Get real.You feel the need to be ashamed when you should feel the need to be kept up to date by those that are telling/feeding you the “NEWS”,it’s old news revamped to vindicate some other political motive,nothing more or less. :hug: :kiss:

BobbeeBobbee

It is my understanding, and perhaps the rules have been changed, that our posts are supposed to not be derogitive to another poster.

There’s been a few threads lately that have received warnings. If we are not careful this one will too. And threads do get locked.

Surely we can each express an opinion without being jumped on by another person. It’s getting so I am tempted to stick to the fun, social type threads but why should I have to do that and miss out on interesting, pertinent information.

Take care (literally)

Bobbs

Anonymous

respect is a funny thing and i’ll say again harming anyone or threatening to is just not on, but and it’s a big BUT we realy don’t know how factual it is (just like teh climae theory), it is certainly at least aimed at the ehart strings of people so they will blindly accept the carbon climate change thing, and right before a possible vote on it, possible not probable.

but regardless of what or if threats were made, one cannot order to be respected, respect has to be earned through high integrity, being open and honest. and as there is no factual proof of the CCC then the above has not been caried. models and conjecture are not honest they are methods of supporting ones own theories.

what individuals want to believe does not make it “in fact”, without some sort of hard copy evidence over time.

terms like “red herring”; “snow job” and “smoke screen” come to mind. start acontroversy take the publics mind off the issue at hand.

len

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.