Aussies Living Simply

Rescue Bird – what to do?

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE Pets and Native Animals Rescue Bird – what to do?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    BelBel

I found this little guy floundering about under one of the gum trees today. He was obviously hot and distressed and covered in ants. I could hear its parents squawking up in the tree, but there was no way he was capable of flying back up to them and with the hot weather today, he was rapidly dehydrating and getting ant-bitten. I’ve put him in a box in the garage and given him a fair amount of water from a dripper which he eagerly drank with his long skinny tongue. So, advice please… What sort of bird is he (nectar/wattle bird?)? What/how should I feed him? Did I do the right thing in rescuing him? TIA. Bel

SteveSteve
    Keymaster

It looks like a noisy miner. They are a type of honey eater.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noisy_Miner

No idea how to look after them, someone else may know.

Lady BeeLady Bee
    Keymaster

Call your local wildlife rescue.

Just google wildlife rescue and your location.

goodfoodgoodfood

Contact with your local wildlife rescue team.

russruss

those birds eat more of my tomatoes than i do!

Hummer HumbugHummer
    Keymaster

Hey Bel, that bird looks like the native minor bird. As already mentioned contact your local wildlife carer or if you have an animal sanctuary near you, they might take it. I have taken a couple of wild birds to the Healesville Sanctuary before and some of what I’ve saved weren’t going to make it & they were humanely put to sleep.

Hummer HumbugHummer
    Keymaster

russ post=359209 wrote: those birds eat more of my tomatoes than i do!

Yes russ, it is always a constant battle to get to ripe produce and even not so ripe produce before the wild life do.. possums, parrots, rats.. you name it line up and take what they think is rightfully theirs 🙂

.. and I do like your second choice of words better too 😉

calliecatcalliecat
    Participant

mum and dad are obviously still hovering?? – guess the nest is just too high ??

BelBel

I put the little bird outside in its tree first thing this morning. It held tightly to a little branch and I heard it calling out for its parents. Then some more miner birds came swooping by, so we cleared out. Half an hour we walked past, and the little bird was gone. No sign of it underneath the tree, so I think it found its home. Yay!

Hummer HumbugHummer
    Keymaster

Sounds promising Bel 🙂

calliecatcalliecat
    Participant

hopefully all is well 🙂

BronBron

We have loads of noisy minors at school (where I work). A few weeks ago, one fell out of the tree and spent the day in a nearby tree. I fed it a bit of bread and watched it to make sure it was ok. That night, we protected it and the next day were able to return it to the tree. It’s family were around the whole time.

They can go from unable to fly to flying in a single day (go from blind and bald to fully feathered in just over a week :ohmy: but then spend the next 4 months asking to be fed lol.

So if you’re able to keep it outside where the family can attend it, it should be fine 🙂 The whole family cares for the babies, it’s a wonderful system and heart warming to see.

BronBron

And just read that you’ve already done this lol :tup:

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.