Aussies Living Simply

Reply from Aldi re sprout inhibitors on potatoes.

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE Vegetables Reply from Aldi re sprout inhibitors on potatoes.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    BlueWrenBlueWren

Well, I am quite impressed.I have today received a full A4 reply from Aldi’s Purchasing Department about the use of sprout inhibiting chemicals on potatoes and sweet potatoes.I can’t scan it at present but I’ll put a bit of it here.If any one wants a full copy please pm me and I’ll organise something.Looks as though Aldi asked their supplier for a report on the process.

There’s a full chemical explanantion first re maleic hydrazide and chlorpropham (CIPC)…low toxicity and no food safety issues have arisen. Then follows…..

“Sprout inhibitors are not used on Sweet Potato in Australia at any time of the year.They are only used on potato in certain times of the seasons, mainly in winter when excessive moisture in the ground can induce more sprouting.Summer potatoes do not have these inhibitors applied, so currently there is no residue in the tubors.In Australia , sprout inhibitors are applied in the field, and only when it is thought that sprouting will be heavy in a crop, therefore it is not used in all winter seasons.”

We thank you for your enquiry and hope that the information supplied has been relevant.

So there we have it.Was worth asking.

GiannaGianna

That was really good of them to give such a comprehensive reply. Thanks for sharing BlueWren. 🙂

JayneJayne

Well done BlueWren on asking the question & getting the response! :tup:

Perhaps I should ask them why they no longer stock recycle toilet paper & why they sell fair-trade coffee in such small packets…

BobbeeBobbee

Thanks BlueWren, well done. :tup: :wave:

:hug: :hug: :hug:

BlueWrenBlueWren

Jayne post=336195 wrote: Well done BlueWren on asking the question & getting the response! :tup:

Perhaps I should ask them why they no longer stock recycle toilet paper & why they sell fair-trade coffee in such small packets…

Thanks Jayne. I do find Aldi very good at answering customer questions.The detailed mailed response re the inhibitors was way above what I expected,as my local manager said “they’ll give you a phone call” after I filled out the enquiry form well before Christmas. I hadn’t received a call and was about to ask the local manager to chase it up.Obviously the delay was because the Aldi purchasing department was doing it’s own enquiries to their supplier…”has provided a written report on their investigation which may be summarised as follows…” Yes do ask them about the loo paper – there may be an interesting reason.

What size coffee would you like? I buy the Fair Trade ground 250gm from Aldi for $4.99, which is a good price for great coffee.I guess the size may depend on the supplier.

Anonymous

inhibitors are “not used” then they are used???

how would they know if these toxins are food safe? like all chemical residues, there never has been any human trialling of any single residue let alone of the cocktail of residues in fresh f&v, so if there is no parameters then issues won’t be seen.

i’ve tried sprouting stupid market sweeties and also some from the independents, they rot but with the independents one is more likely to find sweeties that will chit.

sorry as they showed they have no idea they referred the query to the chemical side who won’t be being honest.

inhibitors in spuds of all sorts, and the garlic/onion family, including carrots anything that will sprout are systemic they are applied to the plant at about 2 weeks prior to harvest.

len

crystalcrystal

I guess the short and long of it is, no inhibitors on sweet pots, and some times on Winter pots.

Take your chances, buy them in summer and grow from them for winter!

If you dont like your chances, dont buy potatoes!

I have noticed though tht my pots sprout quickly in summer, and rarely in winter.

So, on that note, can i plant potatoes now? Do i plant a whole one or should i cut it up so theres one sprout on each chunk?

GrethGreth

For more production, cut them up.

A friend even mulches with potato peelings (thickish and done with knife) and gets a good amount of sprouting from them.

Len I think its fair not to expect a retailer to be a horticulture expert, and to refer to their actual supplier to find out what is done, when and why. In fact I would trust a glib instant answer from a manager far less than this letter.

No producer is going to waste money applying sprout inhibitor, or anything else, if they have good reason to believe its unnecessary.

And they have to use stuff in barrels not just trace quantities.

And they have children too…

Yes I have spent considerable time talking to producers about chemical use, one on one, and got the honest replies.

Anonymous

in qld march better time

i plant whole spuds

when we buy spuds if we see chitting then those are the ones we would prefer to buy.

len

crystalcrystal

Interesting. I have a few starting to sprout, i’ll plant and see what i get!! I’ll cut too so i can try and get more tatoes!

We dont get frost here, and its not getting really hot any time soon so im thinking it will go ok.

BlueWrenBlueWren

Nothing to lose.Give them a go.

In my experience with Aldi spuds and sweet spuds they always sprout – sometimes a bit too soon but I guess that’s a good sign!! – and I have had great harvests from planting them.I know we are told “buy certified seed spuds to prevent disease” , well, I’ve done that and they have rotted or grown nairy a tuber.

Another bit of the Aldi letter says fumigation of spuds after harvest is very seldom practised in OZ because the residue can remain in the tubers for a year.

mumof6mumof6

if you cut your spuds to plant rub some fire ash on the end to stop rot entering the spud there thats what my nanna did she whould cut a wedge out were the growth was rub in ash and plant then cook the rest of the spud. she always grew all her own spuds but down here there are only two growing seasons (up north you can grow all year round, in tassie only over summer) she would plant wedges in pots in aug/sep then plant out in oct with protection from frost, then she would keep planting her wedges till xmas, after that she would be harvesting the aug/sep tatos from xmas and finish harvesting round march, she would wrpa them in paper and store them in an old freezer that sealed to keep air out as its the amount of fresh moist air that sprouts them also if she ran out she would re dig the bed they grew in for the little spuds (somtimes finding a hidden biggie) but normaly she would leave the littles to resprout the comeing year in the ground thats when she new it was ok to plant out her pot wedges. seeing how this has turned into a potato growing thread.

when i was a kid we lived in gipsland (dad build power stations) it was spud growing area you can buy a 20kg bag back then for $5 but by the time we got about halfway through the bag was growing the cheap spuds were only ever in summer, in winter there is a higher demand then summer and in the southen states no patatos are grown from march till september. so high demand is when there is no harvest so only coldstore spuds which would be sprayed to stop growth while stored cause if you go from cold store (4dc) to warm supermarket (20dc) you would think mmmm spring lets grow even if outside is -10.

crystalcrystal

Well, there you go! You and i have a lot in common mumof6 😉

Lets grow potatoes then!

BlueWrenBlueWren

Our local Permaculture Group is embarking upon putting together a resource containing gardening/growing tips from the past.I’ll add the wood ash tip for cut spuids.Thanks.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.