Aussies Living Simply

Renewing old furniture

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    KasaliaKasalia

Been raining all day thank goodness so catching up on forum stuff. Last year I started painting old furniture, hopefully there are others who do it as well, but anyway here are mine so far still an ongoing chapter, suddenly I want everything white lol, maybe as I get older cant see as well.

Before cupboard given to me FREE

After my magic treatment

And decorated

This next one had a ply back so we changed to a regency board, this is a built in my husband did probably 20 yrs ago or more.

Painted, love Antique White USA.

I left it some brown to blend with the wood plank walls and is next to the above one also. Slowly filling it with my amber and green china, and a few old knick knacks.

It is in a very awkward photo taking area but hopefully you can tell. Started another one, but if you repurpose show me yours.

mudhenmudhen

They look great, Kasalia! I have an old wooden wardrobe that I picked up off the side of the road a couple years ago that my husband would love me to repurpose!! I must order the paint today and just get down to it. It looks pretty terrible at the moment, as I’ve been trying to strip it back. I’ve found a woman in Tasmania who is manufacturing Milk Paint and I’m keen to give that a go. Strong fumes give me headaches, and I’m hoping this sort of paint will be gentler on me and the environment.

http://www.youngandmay.com/

I’ll pop on some photos when I have before and afters.

pennypenny

Mud Hen there are recipes for milk paints on line. I can’t remember how I found them or I would post the link for you. The paint that was made was beautiful and the family painted the whole house with their own paint, wood, walls the lot.

mudhenmudhen

Thanks for your thoughtfulness, Penny! When I first discovered Milk Paint, I found some recipes too and decided to give it a go. Believe me, it’s not as easy as it looks. I ended up with a blobby mess and figured it was worth paying someone else to do the hard work for me. I would still love to learn, but I think it might be something that would be worth paying to do a short course with someone who really knows what they are doing and gets good results.

earthwalkerearthwalker
    Participant

Great re-finish…very, very stylish. I have a treadle machine to renovate and picked up a great wooden stool for $5. All I need now is some time. Too busy job hunting and keeping our garden alive.

BelBel

Your furniture reno looks great kasalia. I’ve got 2 feature walls that need painting in our new home (I can’t stand the blood red colour they’re currently painted), but there just aren’t enough hours in the day!!

RommieRommie

They look great! :tup:

Eira ClaptonEira Clapton
    Participant

Fantastic work -they look great! I have done a few small things, but would love to take on the kind of thing you are doing.

noolaymannnoolaymann

Now-a-days, We can easily change the old look with new with small
    alternation changes such as upholstery nails for sofas and other
    furniture, polish the old wooden furniture for getting a new look like that many more are there.

Crystal Upholstery Nails

ferhiljoeferhiljoe
    Participant

wow that looks awesome

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.