Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

removing a bathroom!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    gleanertgleanert

I’ve put this in the reduce, recycle, repair category 🙂

What things does one need to consider if they want to go against the trend and remove a bathroom (shower and toilet) from their house? I know having 2 bathrooms or ensuite is a so-called “selling factor” but I just don’t want the work, expense and excess! Its an ensuite that I’m considering removing.

Do you need to tell council ? The plumbing is to a septic.

I was considering turning the extra space into a walk-in robe.

Any ideas/suggestions most welcome.

redhen2redhen2

i have thought of this too, as i have a staggering number of bathrooms.

no, i don’t think you do need council approval. you would, of course, need to have a plumber come and terminate the pipes. If you’re making it a walk-in robe, you could even keep the plumbing visible, but out of the way. That way, it’s still a selling factor, but without the hassle of an extra toilet to clean.

PixiebPixieb

You must not have any kids?? No one with kids would remove a bathroom. At bedtime at our house one remembers that they need a shower one needs to use the toilet and the other two are wanting to brush their teeth. All in the same room…. Does not work!!!!

pennypenny

I would not remove a bathroom unless you really need the space. If you have kids there are times when you might need to have a child use a separate bathroom because of illness- has happened to me!There is a cost in removing it and if you sell it could be a bit of a disadvantage. However after saying that if you have considered all these factors and still think it is the best move for your family do it:lol:

gleanertgleanert

😆 Don’t you just love the ads on this forum – I’m asking about removing my bathroom/ensuite and there are advertisements selling bathrooms!

Thanks Redhern, thats a great idea to leave the plumbing if I want to sell.

I know people think its important to have more than 1 bathroom but this has only been a recent development in housing! I’m sure there are many of us who remember growing up in small and large families with one bathroom – the dramas and negotiations for bathroom time assisted with a wide range of socialization skills.

Just like at one time families sat at the same table and ate meals together.

I would much rather turn my ensuite which is tiny into a wardrobe or library!

Judi BJudi B
    Keymaster

gleanert post=298106 wrote: 😆 Don’t you just love the ads on this forum – I’m asking about removing my bathroom/ensuite and there are advertisements selling bathrooms!

Thanks Redhern, thats a great idea to leave the plumbing if I want to sell.

I know people think its important to have more than 1 bathroom but this has only been a recent development in housing! I’m sure there are many of us who remember growing up in small and large families with one bathroom – the dramas and negotiations for bathroom time assisted with a wide range of socialization skills.

Just like at one time families sat at the same table and ate meals together.

I would much rather turn my ensuite which is tiny into a wardrobe or library!

I must be old as I can remember the dunny cart man coming :laugh: people have it easy now toilets inside the house no cursing at the umbrella while running down the stairs in the rain with a torch in the other hand.

KatieKKatieK

Judi B post=298109 wrote:

I must be old as I can remember the dunny cart man coming :laugh: people have it easy now toilets inside the house no cursing at the umbrella while running down the stairs in the rain with a torch in the other hand.

Me too! But I have very fond memories of the huge bunches of grapes that used to grow over ours and how I’d get a bit sidetracked on the way to the business end of the journey.

mashellymashelly

has a largish family (8 of us) would love another bathroom..i know everyone used to only have 1 bathroom with larger families but i can tell you they all wished for a 2nd one

caddiecaddie
    Participant

Personally I wouldn’t remove the bathroom as it would add to house value if you decide to move.

I would intall loose shelving and use as a storage area

porgeyporgey

If you dont need it for normal daily use then I would use it for something better that is going to be utilised a lot more often. You may like to try not using it at all for a month to see how you go – that in my opinion should be the test.

To keep something like a bathroom because of its apparent resale value just doesn’t make sense to me if it can be used for better things now. You are essentially keeping it for the next person who buys the house, who knows when that will be?

Maintaining the plumbing is a good idea so just cut and cap the pipes but leave enough pipe exposed to enable reconnection down the track. You may hear the occasional gurgle when your robeing up after a big night out if someone uses the other bathroom, but at least its nice and spacious.

Usually you only need to tell the council if you are adding to the sepo so I would not tell them.

gleanertgleanert

Two things to add:

1.It is a very small house so it would be highly unlikely to ever be a house for a large family. It is a house that would appeal to 1 to 3 people maximum. So having 2 bathrooms is just wasteful and an example of excess consumption that has become the norm.

2. The ensuite is very small and needs to be renovated – I don’t want to spend money on renovating something I don’t use and to be honest, I really hate having a toilet so close to bedroom.

3. (thought of another) If the septic falters at some stage then the council can demand it to be replaced with a system that can cater for 2 and not 1 bathroom…therefore, greater expense.

So its just that it is currently needing to be renovated and the fact that I hate having a toilet in the bedroom. A walk in library or robe would suit me much better.

mashellymashelly

then go ahead with your idea ..turn it into what you desire..good idea to cap off thou…at the end of the day it doesn’t matter what anyone else thinks your using the house to suit yourselves

redhen2redhen2

oooooooh walk-in library. i’m loving that idea.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.