Aussies Living Simply

Removeing rust stains from clothing

Home Forums SIMPLE SUSTAINABLE LIVING Natural Cleaners and Products for the Home Removeing rust stains from clothing

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    bplumbplum

I stumbled across a really effective means of removing old rust stains from fabric! Web search suggested lemon juice & salt & leave in the sun, repeating till stain gone, but i had no lemons & overcast weather. Pantry search yielded citric acid . . . so moistened the fabric, sprinkled stain with citric acid & left in the “sun” for a couple of hours – stains totally gone!!

toosusietoosusie

Good thinking Watson 😆 Must remember that one :tup:

darlsdarls

Wow, that’s impressive – will remember when I ever come across some fabric with rust stains! 😆

I should make my own folder with all those home remedies! :geek:

Cheers! :hug:

baringaparkbaringapark

oohh goody!! My old clothes horse has put rust stains on a few items – thanks for the tip :clap:

creekercreeker

Wonder if this would work on vintage linens?

Might give it a go, nothing to lose.

gratefulgrateful

Wow, what clever thinking bplum. I’ll keep that in mind for future reference.

gardenaholicgardenaholic

Does it only work on whites.

BullseyeBullseye

Dry Cleaners use phosphoric acid to remove rust stains from clothes and if you keep a bottle of it handy it’s also used for resolving rust on vehicles. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phosphoric_acid

bplumbplum

Does it only work on whites?

It wasnt a white garment i tried it on – it was a colored pair of shorts with a sewn in bucklel, & rust had discoloured the multicoloured waistband & left a big mark on the beige front.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.