Aussies Living Simply

Relief for Insect Bites

Home Forums HOMEMADE Natural Remedies and Health Support Relief for Insect Bites

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    crystalcrystal

Hi guys,

DS11 would like to know what you’d recommend in the way of a natural household item to take the sting from insect bites? We dont have screens on any of the doors or windows and need them open in summer to provide airflow, but it comes with BUGS! we have chronic mozzies and midges here all year round and cant spray repellant on all the kids all the time, so we are looking for something just to take the itch out..?

Thanks in advance,

crystal… and DS11 (he gets bitten the most 🙁 )

SteveSteve
    Keymaster

I’ve heard that tea tree oil, baking soda and vinegar are effective. Not together but use one or the other.

SteveSteve
    Keymaster

Also found this: I though aloe vera would be good.

To make your own mosquito bite home remedy, use two parts baking soda to one part water. Mix together until it reaches the consistency of a sticky paste and apply directly onto the bite. As it dries, it will alleviate the sting and bring some relief to the itching and swelling. This is a great treatment for those with sensitive skin and for small children because the ingredients are mild and won’t cause irritation. Just wash it off after the urge to scratch has gone away (remember – soap, water, and pat dry) and reapply if the symptoms flare up again.

For a quick fix – particularly when you’re out of the house and unable to reach a first aid kit or get to the kitchen – ice wrapped in a towel or an ice pack will ease a mosquito bite’s swelling. Even a cold can of soda or bottled water can do in a pinch.

Aloe Vera gel is nature’s perfect gift for treating mosquito bites. The coolness eases symptoms and forms a protective layer after application to reduce the risk of infection. Reapplication will be necessary. It’s good to do another soap and water wash every few hours.

or even the good old calamine lotion………. 🙂

crystalcrystal

bi carb looks good, i got tonns of it!

thanks Steve!

mistyhollowsmistyhollows

We get midgies here too Cystal. Nasty little blighters. Until we get some good rain they won’t go away and the water tank is nearly dry, that’s how little we’ve had. I’ve tried spraying eucalyptus spray over us before we go outside the last couple of days and so far it’s working.

As for the itch, you could try lavendar oil but my preference although not natuaral is medi quattro to take out the itch. It’s an antiseptic, antiinflammatory, anti everything. Beats natural stuff hands down unfortunately 🙁 But the DS1 is allergic to sand flies and swells up with anything. Eat lots of vegemite. The vitamin B1 helps.

mauzimauzi

I am allergic to sand fly bites as well and find tea tree oil very good, both to relieve the itching and seems to help with the swelling as well.

GrethGreth

Aloe vera is always safe and soothing, try savory too, winter or summer or any decorative variety.

crystalcrystal

wow, thanks guys! As the kids are so little i worry about using essential oils on them at all. I dont know enough about them. Obviusly citronella would stop them biting too right? Ive got eucalyptus, would a drop on the pressure points be enough to deterr them or mix with water and spray? or something else? The midges are only annoying and dont swell, but the mozzies here are vicious!

I need you guys to identify a plant later, it was here when i moved in and im not sure if its aloe. Its raining atm, but when it stops ill get a pic and post it!

Thanks again!

crystalcrystal

Vegemite i can do, we just finished half a KG of the stuff!

porgeyporgey

Firstly, prevention is better than cure, so adding fly screens would help, reducing breeding conditions, growing pest repelling plants in & around the house and creating habitat for natural predators.

A crushed fresh Basil leaf helps itchy bites when rubbed on the affected area and Aloe vera is a cracker. Oddly enough, Mossies wont bite anyone who has had Malaria but its not a great solution! Hope thats a help.

crystalcrystal

Cant install screens, its not our house and the windows are HUGE!! plus there are sliding doors everywhere… like literally in the weirdest places… the lounge has two whole walls of doors.. one wall is just door, and im not sure why as it opens to the front stoop, next to the front door… odd… then the dining has one to the back yard, and another one near the hall way which was meant to open onto the spiral staircase down to the first floor, but they never bothered to build the first floor, or the staircase, so it opens into a HUGE gaping hole in the balcony… then theres massive sliding windows in all the rooms, and just to cap it off the entire living area had pitched roof, with a bank of windows in it… Dont ask me what they were thinking when they did it.

Now, as for enviroment, unfortunatly we are on the down side of a hill, which drains through the back yard, theres a concrete drain up the back. but its all so old around here that it isnt that efficiant and our yard floods, thats why the garden beds are brick, to stop the water from flowing away with my plants. And theres trees here that shade large parts of the yard… i cant cut them down… sooooooo,

any one know of some mozzie repelling plants?

mistyhollowsmistyhollows

Hmm if you have huge windows how many plants are you going to need?

Take a look around your yard, is there water lying around anywhere, if so get rid of it drain it, bucket it out, do whatever you have to to get rid of it.

You don’t need to chop the trees down but can you prune some branches out to let in more light to let the ground dry out a bit more?

Otherwise? Eat more garlic (you may also keep other people away 😛 ), wear light clothes and shut your windows without fly screens at dusk. That’s when they’re more active. You can also try a citronella spray. I use one one and it works. Eucalyptus oil spray works too.

VickieVickie

You all have nets for bed time though?

im going to try the bi-carb for my latest ant attack.. bloody itchy!

GrethGreth

The citronella scented geranium is said to be insect repellant, as with a lot of other herbs. I can’t honestly say that I think these things work. I had fun at work once putting down all kinds of supposed ‘insect repellant’ herbs on an ant trail, not a trace of difference to the ants. The cleaners came thru one night and ruined my experiment, lol. I plant daisy flowers (like pyrethrum) to attract insects to my garden, then Im supposed to plant pyrethrum to repel them? Hang on something wrong here…

I could give you a list of herbs which are reputed to repel insects, but honestly I dont think they work, best hope is to hit the bugs with the pot.

VanessaVanessa

I too am one to react to bites.

One of the best remedies I have found is Neem. I use this mixed at about 5mL to 100mL of water, then just sprayed or dabbed on the itch. They have changed their website since I bought it but it is 85% neem oil and 15% emulsifying agent, and they sell the same formulation but packaged differently (I think it is the plant spray, the cattle wash, and the horse wash)

I have also tried pure neem oil but for some reason that didnt work as well.

The other remedy I have is Bepanthen cream, its a nappy rash/baby cream and not natural but been around for years and does provide relief, I have noticed they now sell a “first aid” cream but I have only ever used the original baby cream, I always keep some in my bag (even though I dont have kids)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.