Aussies Living Simply

reigning in raspberries

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    urbanhippy

Hi folks,

Just wondering if any one out there has some ideas for planting raspberries so they cannot escape. Mine were planted last year a corner of the vegie patch ( I have a habit of procrastinating over best placement until new purchase dies so this was a temporary measure) and they are already making baby plants outside the zone. I have a 44 gallon drum which a friend suggested I dig in to ground with bottom cut out. However I don’t want to have to dig a hole that big! Would they grow ok in 1/2 wine barrels or similar? Thanks in anticipation!

Geoff
    Keymaster

I’ve got some growing in a very big pot, in anticipation of planting them elsewhere, and they don’t seem to do quite as well as in the ground. A half barrel is bigger so they might do well enough in one of those.

You could also try a bit of corrugated iron dug in a foot deep, though they will eventually escape through the seam between sheets. Or cut your 44 in half and only bury it that deep, should be enough to keep them contained.

urbanhippy

a foot deep is much more acheivable than the whole way down! I might put one of the little ones in the barrel and see how it goes compared to the in ground ones. Thanks for your feedback!

bushy

I grow them in a row so I can mow either side…works great.

Geoff
    Keymaster

I grow them in a row so I can mow either side…works great.

I was trying this too, but one of the modern varieties managed to cross the pathway (about a metre wide) and come up smack bang in the middle of the blueberries :p The Heritage variety seems okay so far though.

urbanhippy

I had read this suggestion and am worried about them escaping futher afield plus the frequency of mowing in my yard is probably not high enough to discourage them!!!!

bella

I have mine in a bottomless pot and they’re escaping. I just snip off the shoots when they come up, and that one dies off. I am thinking of what to do next though. Mine is an Atherton raspberry variety I got from the forest and am trying to keep ‘tame’ so I don’t have to walk so far for berries! LOL Hubby groaned when I planted it. Now we’ve had a wet season, I see what he means!

FeyWind

I’m not sure about raspberries, but my logan berry roots whenever the runners tips touch the ground. I’ve looped them over the upper two espalier wires (they grow next to my espalier trees) to keep them off the ground, but still have to be super careful to keep the ends off the ground.

urbanhippy

my neighbour grows his canes over archways in his dedicated orchard but he is quite a dedicated gardner who would never forget to prune or mulch etc at the right time. I guess I am trying to gaurd against my future neglect as much as the raspberries rampancy! I’m going to try the wine barrel sitting on concrete drive bit. I can always move them if they start to look poorly – tho that would seem to be against their nature!!

What happens to raspberries in wet season bella??

urbanhippy

my neighbour grows his canes over archways in his dedicated orchard but he is quite a dedicated gardner who would never forget to prune or mulch etc at the right time. I guess I am trying to gaurd against my future neglect as much as the raspberries rampancy! I’m going to try the wine barrel sitting on concrete drive bit. I can always move them if they start to look poorly – tho that would seem to be against their nature!!

What happens to raspberries in wet season bella??

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.