Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Rechargeable Batteries

Home Forums SIMPLE SUSTAINABLE LIVING Living within your means Rechargeable Batteries

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    smurfysmurfy

Does anyone else have trouble with rechargeable batteries?

I mean the AA, AAA and 9 Volt variety.

I have purchased a few brands, both expensive and cheap, plus the rechargers.

I find that they do not last l;ong once charged….about half the use time of disposable batteries.

WHY?

I find it frustrating when my clocks, remotes, and other smal;l devices go flat quickly.

It makes me wonder if the time and electricity I spend charging them makes them economical…? At least there are less batteries thrown in the tip leaking chemicals I guess. :shrug:

WombatWombat

My boss uses rechargeables in his battery mouse and he gats less than a week service, the disposables last for months, so yup, similar problems Smurfy.

nev

MargoMargo

We use rechargeable AAs for everything needing batteries (mouse etc) and haven’t had the same problems you experience.

It may be that the rating of the battery is too low for the appliance – we use 2700 or 2600 in our mouse(s) and I would get 3-4 weeks out of mine.

We also really like Eneloop’s – they hold about 80% of their charge for 6 months (or maybe 12) unlike other rechargeables.

DH buys all our rechargeables on ebay from HK (I know I know airmiles but they last longer and work better than any we’ve bought locally and are less than 1/2 the price even including postage.

bluezbanditbluezbandit

Always had long lasting rechargeable AAs and AAAs. I use silver Energizer rechargeables. My mouse battery lasts a good 6 months. U se them in all the remotes and camera and other bits and pieces.

Deb

I find when I have the mouse on the desk and the wireless dongle under the desktop, batteries run out very quick, but when I have the mouse on mousepad on the pullout keyboard, on the same level as the dongle (with no desktop for the signal to penetrate) the batteries last ages.

I have just chucked out a flashlight that was allegedly rechargeable. It would give you a really wonderful strong beam … for about two minutes. After that it faded to about match-bright in no time flat. Not too impressive when you are using it to work out who the drunks are in your back yard …

PelicanPelican

I’ve noticed that my AA rechargeables are only 1.2 volts, as opposed to the 1.5 of disposables. Maybe that makes a difference? Make sure that your rechargeables are completely discharged before you recharge them, seems to make a difference. My recharger has a switch that lets you discharge them totally.

ShirleyShirley
    Participant

Good Advice Pelican.I`ve been told that all rechargeables have a “memory” & you have to let them go completely flat to get a full recharge.This is especially so ,with battery tools & mobile phones.

Top-up charging shortens the usage time

I recently bought a little Solar charger for small batteries .It takes a few hours but am impressed with the results. Cost $29.95

spannerspanner

Shirly,

WHere did you buy yours from? Online or from the shops?

Kate44Kate44

I also was having trouble with my rechargebles not holding a charge for long and I made enquiries with a supplier and they said to get the best ones as alot of the cheaper version have sand in them.

shadowdancershadowdancer

hillbilly girl wrote:

I have just chucked out a flashlight that was allegedly rechargeable. It would give you a really wonderful strong beam … for about two minutes. After that it faded to about match-bright in no time flat. Not too impressive when you are using it to work out who the drunks are in your back yard …

Oh Dear HBG!!! Id try a shotgun…you’ll find that with one shot you’ll find out just who is in your backyard..however you may have to keep them??? like in a big hole with lots of dirt on top! 😀 (Yep…evil !!! ) 😆

But onto a lighter note, I use the rechargeable batteries that are NiMH for everything. They usually are stronger than the normal ones, and I have a set in my camera. Even if I don’t use the camera, they tend to hold the charge for quite a while. If I use the camera nonstop, I tend to get a couple of weeks out them? I have been using Varta Brand, and have found these less effective than Energizer ones?

GiannaGianna

I bought a new charger that charges in about 1 hour and have had no problems with the new batteries that came with it (Energiser). My other charger and batteries (also Energiser) took a long time to charge the batteries and so I would forget them which is not good, plus I used to switch the charger off and leave the batteries in it, also not good for batteries so I’ve been told. :shrug:

ShirleyShirley
    Participant

Spanner== It was mail order. I`ll have to look for the invoice & get back

ShirleyShirley
    Participant

http://www.brightlife australia.com.au ==Home==New products==second item.Theres postage on top .

shadowdancer wrote:

Oh Dear HBG!!! Id try a shotgun…you’ll find that with one shot you’ll find out just who is in your backyard..however you may have to keep them??? like in a big hole with lots of dirt on top! 😀 (Yep…evil !!! ) 😆

The latest ‘big hole’ I tried to dig struck bedrock 60cm down. My latest plot is to have the culvert removed at the end of the disused lane – on the grounds that it is backing up and flooding my bottom paddock. That will soon sort them out – no culvert they will fall in the ditch and drown before they get over the fence :lol::lol:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.