Aussies Living Simply

RE: when was your first time?

Home Forums SUSTAINABLE COMMUNITIES Peak Oil – where are we headed? RE: when was your first time?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Sprite

I first learnt about it in 1989 whilst doing a geology degree – but like most things it didn’t really figure prominently in my psyche until about 1996 in line with first noticing significant climatic change. I did a bit more reading, looked at a few reservoir calculations in petroleum company annual reports, and realised we had already reached the “hump”.

I’m sorry to say that it made no changes to my behaviour back then except for growing a vege patch and walking to the shops to save fuel.

Noticeable behavioural and lifestyle changes probably started in my family about 18 months ago.

stark

As most know here i think PO a crock , but it could be a usefull crock by worrying people enough to change there driving , eating , living habits therefore helping the world anyway…so i say let the doomsayers go and reap the benifits

daviesgang

We had already made our decision to go rural before I learnt about PO from you guys about two months ago. What an eye opener that was. It hasn’t made us move any faster trying to get out of the city or anything. It has just made me more aware of what is important to my family and I am trying to make sure that we buy the right property for what our needs might be in the future should the worst predictions actually come to light. I have also started writing my lists for our future needs…first aid, stockpiling, basic survival stuff. Lists might not seem like much but they are the first step in most things I do. Once I see something written down I find it much easier to get it done and cross it off my list.

I was speaking to my mother in law yesterday (asking her to watch 60 minutes) and she was saying she has known about the future (or lack of) of oil since the 70’s and she has heard different things about it on and off ever since then. I admitted I had heard mumbling about oil running out sometime around the early 90’s but I was only 20 then and didn’t really pay much attention then. I am definately paying attention now :o.

Chezza

I can’t remember when I first knew about Po but it has been “forever” – not something I thought I had any control over. I remember back in high school thinking that the world was going to end in a nuclear holocaust any time (late ’70s)anyway and the Jonestown massacre left me sleepless with such sadness that I thought it would be a good thing!

I vaguely remember the fuel shortages of the ’70s and how they affected everyone and it is crazy to think we have become SO reliant on it since.

Mind you a little bit of me is always a bit suspicious of the things we don’t hear about until decades later that makes such an impact on what was going on at the time. Who really knows what the truth is except that big business will aways win out until our little planet is useless to any living creature and plant.

πŸ™

Cheryle. xx

bella

I’ve always thought of oil as a finite resource, but had no idea of timeframe in my mind for ages.

In about ’98 a friend gave us a copy of The Last Hours of Ancient Sunlight by Thom Hartmann. It was a bit over my head at the time, couldn’t see a way ‘out’ of our then-lifestyle, etc.

I first heard about Peak-Oil again through this site, I think, or the Permie one, within the last year. It has helped us put into action plans for a more sustainable lifestyle, which even if PO’s a crock will be a wonderful change for our family & planet in the very least.

Like Ree, I’m starting to look outward as well. I’m interested in food co-ops, farmer’s markets, community gardens etc. Got to sell up and move first, though, it’s step 1 of the plan.

Sprite

Hi Bella

I’m reading the same book for the first time….find it a bit depressing so am digesting it in bites…nevertheless interesting reading.

happycouple

we heard about PO a few years ago it has changed our life a little but the only thing for sure is when will the oil be no more

Janine

I first heard of it a couple of months ago when I was browsing Amazon checking out peoples “lists” and came across a couple that included books on Peak Oil. Up until that point I had never heard of it. It has made an impact on my life and that of my family, I make sure lights and power points are turned off when I leave a room, only take the car somewhere when I really need to go, try to bake several things in the oven whenever I turn it on, things like that. We have been planning on moving to the country for several years, and been trying to learn all we can about growing food etc, I guess if anything the whole PO thing has cemented our reasons for doing so, just in case it ever did eventuate.

Janine

bushy

Funny how quotes or a few lines in a newspaper stick in your mind forever. Will never forget reading back in the early 60’s about some expert who predicted oil would completely run out by the year 2000. Of course everyone dismissed this as foolish speculation, and I recall thinking, wow, wonder what will happen?, but thats 40 years away, who cares!! Hmmm……

edensgate

Like Bel, I knew oil reserves were finite but never really heard the term ‘Peak Oil’ until I came to this forum. To be honest, I never considered what that meant for society until I got involved in discussions here.

Christopher

I have been aware of peak oil from before “Y2K”. A lot of the hysteria of Y2K has been transferred to peak oil. Y2K worked out pretty well. People stocked up on essentials, bought guns in America in record numbers, and others:D sold a pile of solar panels (hahahaha), and Mac owners, not affected by the problem (that never surfaced), and smug already, felt even smugger. Y2K was a classic millenarian fear spasm, fueled by profit making fear mongers, which rolled by with no real consequences.

However, PO is real (sorry Stark, but most people realize that there are finite quantities of the stuff, that, apart from the seductive cornucopian fantasy of “abiotic” oil). Eventually the stuff will run out. However predictions over the last 30 years have tended to be more drastic than reality, so far.

What is worrying is that as fuel costs rise (a good indicator of product availability is the price), the cost of food (in cash, as well as the “true cost” of environmental degradation, continued introduction of persistent pesticides, nitrogen rich run off and “dead zones”, erosion of genetic base of food as less species and less varieties of those species are cultivated, global warming, etc) is going to rise significantly.

If petroleum continues to rise, the model that produces most of the food in developed countries, creates food that is dripping in petroleum, will produce expensive food of decreased food value. Food prices will go up as production prices go up.

This could be a good thing as it may be more cost effective to produce food without chemicals and fertilizers (at some time in the future), reducing the introduction of these substances into the biosphere. It could also be a bad thing in that many people of lower income in non agrarian (read “industrialized” or “developed”, “1st World”) communities may find food prices rising so high that they can no longer afford food…..

snorky

I became aware of PO about 3 years ago when I read a book from the library by Thom Hartman – “The last days of ancient sunshine”. I was already aware of a lot of resource/environmental issues from tertiary ed and life experience etc, but they didn’t affect me to the core, they were just a part of “business as usual”. Peak Oil, however, was one of those paradigm shifts that happen sometimes and everything I look at now is through a different lens.

I think PO/resource depletion and global climate change are going to affect everyone without possibility of escape, and the dislocations will change humanity’s direction in a greater and much more abrupt way than the industrial revoution did.

I worry about how my kids will be affected, but also see this time in history as one where we can possibly shape a better world.

John and Zoe

snorky wrote:

I worry about how my kids will be affected, but also see this time in history as one where we can possibly shape a better world.

Although we don’t have kids, this is something that worries us a lot too Snorky.

Regards

John

Jeanie

First time Ive heard about PO probably to busy bringing up all those children,but something made me sit up and listen,last sunday on ”Australia all Over”ABC ,a woman rang in while travelling through Iran she said she was told to expect to pay 15 cents a litre for diesol oil once she got there but to her surprise it was only 3 cents a litre ,how can that be.

Jeanie

PS re PO is this another scare tactic into frightening the masses to change their ways it hasnt worked as people want more and more never satisfied .

bella

We wouldn’t change for the green house effect. We won’t change for the threat of oil running out. It’s going to take something drastic to change our society’s ways, Jeanie. That’s scary.

Snorky, I also worry about the kids a little. But in reading lots of oral histories of The Great Depression era recently, and in planning a few changes in our lives over the coming months (we are moving), I also feel confident and happy about our path and our ability to connect with and assist others.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.