Aussies Living Simply

Re: What did you harvest today? (Continued)

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE Vegetables Re: What did you harvest today? (Continued)

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 92 total)
  • Author
    Silent

Two feet of bananas! Now I just need to find a way to store them. :shrug:

BlueWren

Wow! What sort of bananas are they Silent? I should think they are hard to store? Can you pick them a few at a time from the bottom of the bunch while it’s still on the tree?

BlueWren

xgeckox post=336952 wrote: Cucumbers, zucchini, parsley, tomatoes, green beans, eggplant, capsicum, chilli and strawberries 🙂

What a beautiful harvest! :tup: :clap:

lisanne

Apart from eggs some lettuce and spring onions for a salad.

My chooks decided to harvest my zucchini by eating part of them while on the plant 🙁 Im going to have to fence them off from the produce I think!

Silent

BlueWren post=336959 wrote: Wow! What sort of bananas are they Silent? I should think they are hard to store? Can you pick them a few at a time from the bottom of the bunch while it’s still on the tree?

I think they are lady fingers and they generally ripen within a few days of each other. :dry: I’ll just have to eat lots of banana muffins fro a while I think.

mumof6

well I just made 6 lites of blackberry jam fro the berries we picked today plus have 2 kg in the fridge for a relly who wants to make some will drop them off tomorrow.

Silent could you dry some of your banannas into bananna chips? or is it to wet there at the moment.

crystal

We picked 2 peas, 2 strawberries and a tomato!

kerrieb

Tomatoes, a few mini peppers, zuchinnis (the long climbing ones), eggs, lettuce, beans. Nothing terribly exciting. Looking longingly at the apples none quite ready yet.

BlueWren

Silent post=336966 wrote:

Wow! What sort of bananas are they Silent? I should think they are hard to store? Can you pick them a few at a time from the bottom of the bunch while it’s still on the tree?

I think they are lady fingers and they generally ripen within a few days of each other. :dry: I’ll just have to eat lots of banana muffins fro a while I think.

If you had a dehydrator you could make millions of banana chips!! My friend used to skin, wrap in gladwrap and freeze them whole, and the kids, hers and mine, ate them like ice blocks.

Milk/banana smoothies? Banana bread?

karyn26

Picking zucchinis before they get too big,looking at the tomatoes wishing they’d hurry up.

lisanne

Zucchinis, tomatoes, beans and my first ever capsicums!

I’ve also got my first ever cucumbers on the way

Bel

Lovely harvest Lisanne :clap: I bet you’re looking forward to those cucumbers.

LeeAndJ

Tendergold watermelon. 12kg, and really sweet :tup:

Patsy133

It is the beginning of the cool (cooler) growing season for me so my harvest is the tropical vegetables etc I grow in the hot summer here:

Manioc root peeled, cooked and cut up for the freezer

Kangkong and pumpkin tips for a lunch stir fry with snake beans and new garlic shoots (elephant garlic coming up from last years bulbils)baby bottle gourds and Tromboncino squash

2 watermelons – all I have had for the season due to problems with cucumber fly – next year I will cover them with netting bags after pollination

Jerusalem artichokes

Chinese artichokes the first for the year

Okra, cherry tomatoes, green capsicum and eggplant – have had no luck with real tomatoes due to the unprecedented number of pests which have followed on from the last 2 years of heavy rainfall

Strawberries and spring onions from my experimental lucerne bale garden in the shade

30 Dragon Fruit I will be drying over night – big harvest with 36 on one plant this year – first time they have been anything but a treat

White Indian guavas and red and yellow passion fruit (just starting to fruit late in the season). Some acerola and small mulberries from a second season fruiting.

Lima beans about 3 kg of dried beans

11 luffas which i am hanging with others under the hot roof of the pergola to fully dry out prior to washing

After many years of experimenting I plant my garden in 3 waves with tropical varieties planted in October to grow through to May, hot weather vegetables I sow in August and March with my winter sowing in April – the crops cross over for harvest.

Learning to eat tropical vegetables means I am able to grow root crops, green vegetables and squash all year when otherwise I would have a significant period of the year where my garden was less productive.

calliecat
    Participant

15 more chokoes :ohmy: and some I just plain cannot reach :blink:

really need to start doing something with them soon, have decided against the chutney, might look at pickles

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 92 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.