Aussies Living Simply

Re: What did you harvest today? (Continued)

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE Vegetables Re: What did you harvest today? (Continued)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 92 total)
  • Author
    Vickie

my girls eat the whole lot, im going to have to keep a hidden stash to make a cheesecake 😉

Attached files

Jeanie
    Participant

Yummy berries :tup:

Attached files

donkeynomad

Today I picked raspberries, mixed colour carrots – in the freezer now, strawberries, red onions and white beetroot – also in the freezer, as well as a few mixed veg. I love this time of the year when so many fruits and veg are ready.

Tomorrow is the turn of cherry plums, apricots, cucumber and cabbage. Will be starting to hand pollinate my 40 varieties of melons in the next few weeks. That is a job and a half.

just trying

Fresh mint, parsley and radish for my ham & salad lunch. MMMMmmmm

Steve
    Keymaster

I’ve been picking corn for the last couple of weeks as we need it, but the remaining cobs are starting to get too old and will soon go to waste. Also my next lot of corn is just forming cobs. So today I picked the remaining 27 cobs.

and I then turned them into this (4.4kg of kernels) ready for the freezer.

froot_loopz

good job steve

Ive picked heaps of tomatoes today

kerrieb

lettuce, chives, radishes, eggs and 1 strawberry. More than a bit envious of most of you as I put my garden i late this year and and 1 month behind where I should be.

Forest Raven

Envious of all of you who start gardens way earlier, and get produce earlier and for longer!

We’re just starting to come into ours now. Today we harvested one potato plant, some peas and a good bowl of raspberries. Potato and peas were delish in a green curry with vietnamese mint (from a neighbour) through the rice. Now for the raspberries with ice cream! 😛

karyn26

Yesterday I picked 2 buckets of plums for us and 1 for the chooks off the ground.

Have been making jams from different recipes and plum relish.

There are still more to be picked but I’m over plums ATM

Iduna

Parsnips, silverbeet, a couple of berries, a couple of tomatoes (only good for the chickens) and onion. I have enough onion that I’m thinking about making a small batch of onion relish, oh and zucchini. My garden went in very late this year.

Jinja

We got our first ever crop of coffee off our one Arabica bush and once husked have ended up with 2.3kgs of wet beans :jawdrop: We planted the bush about 2.5 years ago I guess and last year there was probably about a third of what we got last year and we actually forgot to pick them in time :blush: Still got a lot to do to process them according to the instructions we have but looking forward to our first home grown cup. Have attached a couple of photos, hopefully I haven’t made them too small.

Attached files

busylizzie
    Participant

Well done Jinja, :clap: pretty exciting stuff doing your own coffee. Would love to hear how you go with it.

A little tip, when you add your photos press the insert button as well that brings the pics up on the page instead of us having to click on them. 🙂

Forest Raven

Who would have thought coffee was so light when fresh! Amazing Jinja! Can you taste it as is, or is it poisonous?

I harvested peas today (891g in pods = 286g shelled, just under two cups). Ate most in dinner (lentils, rice and spice, with pappadums). And raspberries of course. Processing a heap into ‘raspberry sherbet’ (basically a sorbet) at the moment. Yum!

Jinja

Thanks BL, I’ve been looking for something to say how to insert a pic but could only see the file attach bit, will try again when I next have something. What’s the button look like? I’m obviously blind.

Re the taste of the beans Forest Raven, the fruit tastes a bit like a sweet cherry , been wondering if they are good for anything, muffins? Or DH thought of brewing it into something. We’ll investigate for next years crop. The bean is covered in a thin gelatinous film when it pops out and we’re soaking them before removing it, they call it fermenting the beans. At the moment no taste whatsoever, bit like biting into a nut shell.

kerrieb

Forest Raven post=332711 wrote:

And raspberries of course. Processing a heap into ‘raspberry sherbet’ (basically a sorbet) at the moment. Yum!

Oh I’ll tell my friend to try this she’s running out of ideas to make with hers. It will be a bonus as one of her kids is allergic to dairy.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 92 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.