Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

RAW YOGURT

Home Forums HOMEMADE Dairy products RAW YOGURT

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    StefStef

Ok, So Ive mastered the RAW MILK (meaning I found where to buy it) …. now the creative part begins ….

Has anyone made or (make) raw yogurt ?

I would love to hear your recipe ? I have an EASY-YO yogurt maker … can i use that for insulation ?

How long do you leave it outside or before its ready ?

Do you heat the milk ? I know not to heat it above body temp otherwise it destorys the goodies in the raw milk.

Important question : Can you add other products in it …. like sugar/cinnamon to enhance the flavour ….

My kiddies cringe at sour yogurt …. so I need it to be a tad on the sweet side

Any comments welcome !

casalentacasalenta

Hello Stef

I know nothing about a yoghurt maker. All I do is warm the milk to blood heat, add a tablespoon of yoghurt (must be plain yoghurt with live culture), give it a stir, pour into a container. I wrap it in newspaper and leave in a warm part of the kitchen overnight. If you want the yoghurt to be thicker, you can add powdered milk, but of course that wouldn’t wash if you want raw milk yoghurt!

I’ve never added anything as I don’t think the flavour needs enhancing. Try it without first, as you should find it isn’t as sour as shop yoghurt. I just add fruit to the yoghurt in the bowl.

Linda

bushybushy

Hi Stef…. many ways of doing it, +1 for getting raw milk, makes magic yoghurt.

Dont add any sweetners or fruit during the process, it will fail, however after the yoghurt has cooled or ready to eat thats when you add your personal touch.

I prefer cheeselinks cultures, very cheap to buy and keep forever in freezer, but can be made with a scoop of active youghurt.

Here’s a link to a thread on another forum, lots of good tips…..

http://www.earthgarden.com.au/portal/forum/viewthread.php?forum_id=30&thread_id=2381

BronBron

I’ve made it but heated the milk to 43*. I used the container from easiyo and wrapped a couple of towels around it to insulate the mix.

Because we’re sugar free, I use rice malt syrup sometimes (or as I am eating right now, I just add berries) 🙂

StefStef

How long until its ready ?

Bron post=320683 wrote: I’ve made it but heated the milk to 43*. I used the container from easiyo and wrapped a couple of towels around it to insulate the mix.

Because we’re sugar free, I use rice malt syrup sometimes (or as I am eating right now, I just add berries) 🙂

mudhenmudhen

Takes about 12 hours Stef, but the longer you leave it the firmer it gets, and you can leave it up to 24. I always thought you had to scald the milk (heat to almost boiling) to kill the bacteria in the milk that would otherwise stop the yoghurt bacteria from growing, but from others experience, obviously this is not so. The milk has to be at 42 – 45 C when you add the yoghurt culture, too cold and it won’t activate, too hot and it will be killed off. You can get cooking thermometers that you can use. I’ve made raw milk yoghurt with 1/3 cup powdered organic milk added to 1 litre of milk and it has come up lovely and firm but beautifully smooth and creamy.

bushybushy

The culture can be added stone cold milk, the cultures survives 12 months in the deep freeze, but is then heated to the low 40’s to activate.

Thats the advantage of using an easiyo container as there is no need for thermometers etc, just fill outer container with boiling water…stand for 12 hours and enjoy !!

GirlFridayGirlFriday

I rang Green Living Australia today to ask the very same question. She told me to heat the milk to 90 deg C and hold it there for 10 min. Then to cool it down to 40 deg C and add the culture and pop it in the easiyo flask. Also- only fill the easiyo flask up to the hole in the red baffle with boiling water.

She explained the heating process was to break down the proteins in the milk so it could turn into yoghurt easier.

My two batches are brewing away as we speak so I will know tomorrow how they have turned out.

mudhenmudhen

Good luck with your yoghurt making, GF! I’ve just started making mine in my slow cooker and it’s been great. With the warmer weather and yummy fruit now in season, it!’s been lovely to have for brekky or morning tea. One of my boys took some to school one day, topped with homemade strawberry syrup, and another child was intrigued by the fact that it had separated a little, with a bit of the whey in there. Thankfully someone else knew what “real” yoghurt looked like and together they assured him that it was quite normal! I hate to think of what’s added to those cute yoghurt tubs so they always stay creamy and smooth :huh:

GirlFridayGirlFriday

Thank you Mudhen. It actually turned out a bit sour so I am in the process of making it into a dip. Will know in future not to leave it in so long.

We probably REALLY dont want to know what is in those ‘yoghurt’ jars- especially the ones aimed at our small children.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.