Aussies Living Simply

Rats in the shed

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    BlueWrenBlueWren

I know because the macadamia nuts are still being eaten………amazing teeth!!! Of course not everyone has macadamia nuts around though! My cat catches some live ones occasionally, but mostly I know because when I put baits out periodically they disappear.Of course I never put the baits anywhere where the chooks might get one, and I remove them during the day from reach of any free rangers.I put the baits on the ground , near a rat run if I know where they are – you can sometimes see a narrow track across ground, through grass etc near a nest , or mud taken up a tree trunk, post etc by little feet – and cover them with an icecream container with an archway cut in opposite sides.A piece of carpet,hessian sack etc on top will secure the container from being blown around.I put out four Racumin bait sachets at a time untilo they stop disappearing.Also with the numbers I had I could smell them around.

Generally speaking I think the rats that have etaen baits ,or all rats for that matter , will be back in their nests during the day and out of the way of chooks and other hunters.I just keep my eyes open for any still live ones but obviously sick, I have only found a couple out of what was a huge number of rats.My cat once brought a very large dead one home – fortunately he does bring his catches home to eat, under my kitchen table………- that was stiff as a board.It was sticking out the sides of the cat’s mouth like a dog with a stick, very funny indeed!

We also had rats under our raised/filled in underneath rooms, of our house , but not in the actual house thank goodness.Cat probably helped with that.They were in the tongue and groove walls – played soccer there with macadamia nuts – and in the roof.I used baits – was prepared to put up withe smell if necessary because the rats were leaving urine and droppings around in the utitlity type rooms under our house , on my garden tools etc,and we could smell them in the walls in a couple of places, and I HAD HAD ENOUGH!!

Again, I hated resorting to any baiting , any creature has a right to life , and I especially hated killing some native rodents – probably illegal actually – but most of the rats were the quite attractive grey ones.It became a health and safety issue here because of the snakes – I had a very close shave with one that some of you know about – and laughed about afterwards!!!

Rats HATE the smell of napthalene so for small numbers that will drive them away without killing them , to be someone else’s problem though! It’s difficult to get napthalene flakes and moth balls are sold in individually wrapped packs.I pierced the packs and put them inside the house near the spots in the walls where I knew the rats were hanging out.Tongue and groove walls so the smell must have penetrated enough because i stopped hearing/smelling them at those points, althoguh they were still elsewhere.I suppose you could try throwing moth balls around in an attic.

KristyKristy

Again, I hated resorting to any baiting , any creature has a right to life , and I especially hated killing some native rodents – probably illegal actually – but most of the rats were the quite attractive grey ones.It became a health and safety issue here because of the snakes – I had a very close shave with one that some of you know about – and laughed about afterwards!!!

quote]

I like your philosophy around this Bluewren as I feel the same, but can understand how we need to get rid of them when they are attracting snakes. I have a lot of mice in the coop and I know these will encourage snakes, but what to do!.

Slightly off topic, but wondering do snakes hang in groups or will you generally only have one in a small area? I heard that they could be territorial… Summer scares me a little after seeing a snake last year in my backyard 🙁

BlueWrenBlueWren

I don’t really know about how many snakes hang around together ……..but one is all you don’t need!! And mine was big, very venomous …….obviously also very well fed.I suppose if the snake is not endangering you and you expect to be able to avoid it – it will be likely scared of you – then it’s useful to have around? But unfortunately chooks,rodents and snakes go together.

You just have to make a decision.Live happily with everything that turns up or remove the potentially hazardous.

I just wish I had used the baits MUCH sooner and not just kept on hoping other things would work.

KristyKristy

Do you think you could ever get rid of the mice? Any suggestions? Do you think it would be the same case as the rats?

I’ve tried the catch and release traps… they work great, the mice/rats get caught, eat all the food and then release themselves. I haven’t liked the idea of poison baits, but I am getting desperate, found a homemade recipe today that I am trying out. Flour, sugar and bicarb. Non toxic on any animal that can burp or fart.

MuklukMukluk
    Participant

barefoot_misty post=348091 wrote: I haven’t liked the idea of poison baits, but I am getting desperate, found a homemade recipe today that I am trying out. Flour, sugar and bicarb. Non toxic on any animal that can burp or fart.

I have a feeling that the flour/sugar/bicarb will not perform as well as you would like. Rats and mice can and do burp and fart, they just have a little more difficulty doing it than we do. Make some and try it anyway as it may kill them by some other means.

A google search will return endless comments from people saying that rodents can not pass gas, but if you search medical articles and things like that you get a more accurate view, eg http://en.cnki.com.cn/Article_en/CJFDTOTAL-YYXX200401013.htm

Last year we had a severe mouse plague. The only things that were helpful were those live catch traps (I would then feed the mice to the ducks) and toxic baits. The baits we used were pretty deadly to mice, luckily they aren’t as deadly to poultry.

GumnutGumnut

Hi there, I’ve just had a problem with rats too – but they were in my roof cavity :sick: Ended up having to go with baits as they were having too much fun munching on the roof beams and not going for the traps. So far I’ve found 2 dead in the backyard (none in the roof). I agree it’s a bloody awful way to kill them but there was no choice. Apart from destroying the house (and causing a possible fire risk) they also apparently carry alot of diseases transmissible to humans :sick:

MiaowzenMiaowzen

Ok, no mouse in the cannon trap since the first one, I guess the advertising was wrong and they do learn quickly.

I haven’t gone near the rats yet, but will muster up some courage this week….

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions

FarmerJackFarmerJack

Me and my farmer man are at a stand off.. he hates my cats cause they kill the birds and his favorite guinea pig :blush: but we have not had a rat for months (since they got big enough to hunt). I also have one of those electrical pulse things in the house. I used rat sack and killed on rat months ago and suffered for a month with a disgusting smell in the wall… Anything but that again if i can help it. but still would prefer the stench to blastard rats and mice.. they are my most hated animal. cant stand the smell of this pee, hate the way they get into all the pantry and animal feed and they can die! Not to mention they bring in snakes

my farmer man made friends with two and called them pixie and dixie because they would come and talk to him while he watched TV.. he was a little upset when I snapped their cute little heads off i a trap. I know I am mean.. but so are rats and mice.

I agree… Zero tolerance. disgusting creatures

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.