Aussies Living Simply

Random Acts of (Christmas) Kindness

Home Forums SIMPLE SUSTAINABLE LIVING Families and the Home Random Acts of (Christmas) Kindness

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    mudhen

I know that there was a RAOK thread on here a while ago, but thought it might be fun to give out some ideas for doing it wherever you are as a pre-Christmas thing. Whether you celebrate Christmas or not, it’s a stressful time of year with so many people having such high expectations of what can be done in a relatively short period of time, not to mention the whole rellie gathering thing that many of us do!

I am doing a theme of RAOK for the last 2 weeks of school for the kids to participate in, after being totally inspired by this site:

http://katherinemariephotography.com/blog/archives/7437

and even though Advent has already begun, I’d like to do some of these activities with my own kids, not the whole 25 (not that organized this year, and might not ever be!) and because I want it to be fun and not stressful. Then I found this site today:

http://lillightomine.com/light-em-up-2011.php

and she has links to other similar blogs etc with more good ideas. They are all from the US, so not always appropriate for Aussies, but between them all, I’m sure we can find enough to keep us busy.

Any others want to join in? I thought we could use this thread to record what we’ve done, what worked well and the fun we’ve had.

BlueWren

mmmmmmmm …….not sure where to go with this one…….kids flown and gone, and to be honest to be THAT organized looks exhausting and a bit OTT…..think I’ll just be more aware of folk around me and remember to do RAOK all year round.But thanks for the reminder, mudhen.

weaver

I did my random act of kindness today (not really Christmassy but end of year stuff). My son is going into year 12 next year and the kids designed a year 12 rugby jumper which they all purchased. DS was reluctant to wear his and when questioned it was because one of his friends didnt have one as his mum has cancer and he doesnt see his dad and they couldnt afford to buy one – DS didnt want him to feel left out so was not wearing his. I went to the school office quietly today and organised for him to have his top and paid for it anonymously :hug: I couldnt bear the thought of the poor kid feeling left out in such an important year of his schooling.

mumof6

I was out of town in a very tourist town to take my DD12 to cricket this town was just under 50km from home we had had a bad week the clutch had gone on the car and we have had a lot of expenses to cover of late so I had only the fuel to take her there she knew this so we packed a lunch to have at the park and said we would just window shop after cricket for an hour then go home.

As we walked round all the overpriced shops catering for the tourist dollar I noticed that I had 25 cents in my pocket and said to DD see were not that broke I still have 25 cents and she laughed at me and said what can you buy with 25 cents. As we walked up the street I saw that the salvos store was open so I thought I would just pop in and find a treasure for 25 cents and say “there you go”, as we entered there was a young girl at the counter paying with all the coins in her purse for a few items of clothing just looking at her I knew that she was not a tourist and not well of and she was short for her items and the man running the store who knew the girl by name was explaining she needed to put something back as she didn’t have enough and that they could organise something if she came back on the day they had relief running already ease dropping and having volunteered in a relief centre I could tell by the look on the girls face of embarrassment that she would go without rather than come back, I put the 25 cents from my pocket on the counter and said “there you go and you get 5 cents change” and just walked away before she could protest. On leaving the store I said to DD “See 25 cents just saved the day.” She just looked at me as if I was nuts and we went home, at home her dad askes how was cricket expecting a tally of runs and wickets, she told her dad with absolute horror in her voice “mum just gave away her last 25 cents to a stranger!”

:tup:

BlueWren

Wonderful stories! :clap: :clap: You’d probably usually keep your RAOKs a secret but I feel it’s OK to share them on this thread seeing as we’ve been asked to do so!! :tup: so keep ’em coming.

weaver……..your boy is a treasure!

weaver

BlueWren post=331848 wrote: Wonderful stories! :clap: :clap: You’d probably usually keep your RAOKs a secret but I feel it’s OK to share them on this thread seeing as we’ve been asked to do so!! :tup: so keep ’em coming.

weaver……..your boy is a treasure!

I know he is a treasure BlueWren. I am so proud of how caring he is. Other kids may get academic awards etc but I wouldnt trade for the world. :kiss:

calliecat
    Participant

both stories are lovely 🙂

I know it’s not quite the same, but thought I would share this as well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DXL9vIUbWg

:ohmy: didn’t expect that – oh well lol

Bobbee

:hug:

Don’t be dickerless Callie, it’s zackerlie the same. :hug:

:hug: :hug: :hug:

BlueWren

Thankyou callie ……….that is beautiful ………

calliecat
    Participant

it;s lovely isn’t it 🙂

mudhen

Wow! Thanks for all your stories, and Callie for that lovely video — it’s like Bobbee said! Weaver, you are a gem! You are so right to be busting with pride for your son!

I did my first organized RAOK at school today (so not totally random, but doesn’t matter!) I printed out “Thank-you” cards and set up a table at lunchtime on the play area with some year 5 & 6 helpers so kids could come and write a thank-you note to one of the school staff. It was alot of fun putting them in all the pigeon holes! We’ll do it again on Friday and target the staff who missed out today, as well as the ladies who help in the canteen. There was a really positive buzz, and kids who wanted to help were given paper and pencils to take away and get others involved. All the kids who helped out loved it and will happily run it on the days that I’m not at school.

BlueWren

:tup: :clap: :tup: :clap: :tup: :clap:

Robyne

Congratulations on your kindness Weaver, Your son will be very proud of you when he does find out and your son is very lovely haveing the thoughts for his friend above his own. :kiss:

When I was on the Parents club we used to have an account for children whoes parents couldn’t afford to let them go on trips and buy school uniforms. Only the teacher and the treasurer knew, so it would get out to people, who looked own their noses at those who needed help.

weaver

I am pretty sure the school does the same thing but this wasnt a compulsory piece of uniform rather an added extra that the kids design themselves each year. Personally I think they should have made sure any kids who couldnt afford it had access anyway. Fitting in is so important when you are 17 and having to provide care for your very ill mum.

Robyne

We always have given to a charity but find some start sending and phoning for more money and we cross them off our list. but a few years ago instead of a lot of different ones, we decided to give to one major charity and the past couple of years its been mainly Fred Hollows fund. For $50 it gives sight for 2 people. We mainly asked for children as they have their whole life ahead of them.

Every year we recieve a lovely Christmas card of the children our money has been used to restore their sight.

They don’t send out asking for more. We do recieve letters telling us about the doctors that have been trianed in the name ot Fred hollows.

We are members of Greenpeace as I think they do a wonderful job saving our world and live stock without them there would be more whaling

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.