Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Rabbits for Meat

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    lostinthefoglostinthefog

Thanks for the ‘dropbox’ info…hubby is very interested and is going to give it a go….

And Andre I’m definately not getting into a debate on the pros and cons of vegetarianism…it seems to inspire as much heated argument as politics & religion…!

ruthyruthy

Garry this is really helpful information. We dont shoot (well my partner can but hasnt since moving to Australia) and the cost of getting a licence, fire arm and cabinate is high so its not looking likely any time soon. I will definately look into this and am interested in any more humane methods of trapping that dont endanger other/indigenous animals.

The key to using drop boxes is to make sure there is no alternative route for bunnies to take. They must go through the tunnel you provide to get from one paddock to another. This means that in cattle country where just a 5 strand barbed wire fence is used you are going to have to dig down about 20 – 30 cm to set chicken wire in place and run it up the fence about 40cm. That is not easy work and you do need to use the strongest grade chicken wire as bunnies (or others} do tear holes in the flimsy stuff.

That means hiring some sort of a digger is necessary. About $250 a day.

There are so many things to like about the drop box method. You can make them yourself out of scrap. Some heavy gauge wire, some bird netting and some Old galvanised iron roofing sheet that you run over with a car a few times to flatten out would do the job. Drilling a few holes and just wiring it together would be ok. Where I am termites would make mince meat from any wood frame.

With Dropboxes you can’t inadvertently kill any other wildlife and no fox / wild dog etc could get get at bunnies you have caught. You can leave the box in situ for years and just remove the “locking” device the night before you feel like a feed. The bunnies will use the tunnel as a highway and once accustomed to using it, will be easily caught when you remove the locking bar. I intend to use it on my 220 acres to supply guaranteed fresh bunny to the good folks of Grafton.

I also intend to do a deal with neighbours to put boxes on their land as a way of providing rabbit control services.

Selling Bunny

Here is a price list for bunnies as at Sept 2012 from a DISTRIBUTOR …. wangaragame.com

WILD RABBITS

A traditional game meat many Australians have grown

up with. A healthy, high protein, lean, green product.

*Eco Friendly

*Hormone free

*Range reared on natural grasses Retail

*Natural product

*See http://www.wangaragame.com.au for recipes

RABM Rabbits – Wild Medium (600 gm – 699 gm) $ 12.10 each

RABL Rabbits – Wild Large (700 gm – 899 gm) $ 13.25 each

RABJ Rabbits – Wild Jumbo (900 gm – 999 gm) $ 14.40 each

RABLFIL Rabbits – Wild – Fillets 8 per pkt – 60 gm each $ 35.85 per kg

RABLBL Rabbits – Wild – Back Legs 4 per pkt -165 gm each $ 22.85 per kg

HARES

HARES Hare – Wild 1.5 – 2.0 kg per pce $ 30.95 each

HARE Hare – Wild 2 – 3 kg per pce $ 35.15 each

[/i

MY GOD!!!! $14 for a bunny and $30 for a hare! I almost fell over. I would have thought $10 for a medium sized bunny would be a good return.

20 – 30 boxes among property owners near you would be manageable. I’d suggest checking 2 boxes a day and setting 2 more for the next day would give you 20 or so bunnies – at $10 each that’s a healthy return. So after 2 weeks you’d be back to your first boxes.

At $200 per day you’ve got a nice little earner and a lot of happy neighbours!

Garry

lostinthefoglostinthefog

Our local butcher sells Hare for a lot less than that…we paid about $15 for one and it was big…

Well tHARE you go!

MarkyMarkMarkyMark

I breed meat rabbits for our family’s consumption – because they are housed indoors (in a garden shed) to protect them from predators and disease, the shortfall is dealing with heat issues.

This was my setup until a few days ago ….

The all wire cages are great – minimal cleaning, the spent lucerne and poo drop to the floor which all goes to the veg garden.

I am now building pens that sit on the concrete floor, so that the bunnies can lay on the cold concrete, and because hot air rises, the floor area should be cooler. Im also going to add more windows and a whirly gig to the roof for added air circulation.

Cheers

Forgot too mention…rabbit meat is lean with high protein and tastes yummy. When slow cooked, the meat just falls off the bone and melts in your mouth…..yummo

JarnJarn

Garryhoddinott wrote: With Dropboxes you can’t inadvertently kill any other wildlife and no fox / wild dog etc could get get at bunnies you have caught.

The drop boxes or pit trap as they are known in trap and release programs, are very humane when compared to other methods, but as a result of their use other wild life can be killed due to predators such as snakes falling into the pit trap and eating the native wildlife that fell in the same trap. This is a very common concern with trap and release programs when trapping to count species, and so the trap needs to be checked very regularly. in some instances they need to be checked throughout the night to ensure this situation does not occur and you are inadvertently the cause of native animals being eaten. At times dependent on the size of the trap, refuge components are put in the trap so small animals have a chance to get away from the predator that they may be sharing the trap with. Just a side note for the moderator: vegetarianism is definitely off subject when the topic is asking for advise on meat production, we may need a moderator to moderate the moderator for off topic comments (tongue in cheek 😛 ).

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.