Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Quince Paste has anyone …………

Home Forums HOMEMADE Home Preserving, Food Storage and Stockpiling Quince Paste has anyone …………

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    MelissaMelissa

I have always wanted to try and make quince paste so yesterday i gave it a go using a recipe i found on the net i followed it to a letter and my paste is more like Jam:o than paste has anyone made Quince paste and done so successfully

i want to try again but would like some feedback from those who have made it

TIA

baringaparkbaringapark

No, but i await the answer with bated breath!

MelissaMelissa

lolol so do i

creekercreeker

No I haven’t made it either, still waiting to plant a quince tree.

Here’s a link that may have some different quince recipes

http://www.historicfood.com/Quinces%20Recipe.htm

redhen2redhen2

yes, i have made quince paste twice with success using steph alexander’s recipe.

it takes 3-4 hours and by the time you finish, it should be a struggle to stir the gloop because it is so thick and it spits like a demon. i imagine that the ripeness of the fruit – and so the pectin levels – might have a lot to do with it.

just checked and steph thinks so too – use young, sharply yellow quinces.

try again, melissa. it’s worth it. the stuff that maggie beer charges so much for just tastes like sugar compared to the real thing. :tup:

MelissaMelissa

Thanx so much i will be looking at stephs bopoks over the weekend and will try and get some more quinces

KalexKalex

Ooh, I have made it twice with great success both times! The recipe I used was from the Good Taste mag from Safeway… but it’s online – here ’tis… http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/2238/quince+paste

so easy and so much better than anything bought… I poured mine into patty pans in muffin trays and got 17 of them – you can then peel the patty pan off and up-turn it onto your cheese platte and they look quite cute! (the extras store for up to 4 months in the fridge so the recipe says (tho I’m happy to keep mine a lot longer than that personally – I’ve eaten home made jam that’s about 4 years old with no problems)

cheers, Kalex

vickivicki

Haven’t made it for a few years and can’t remember which recipe I used but I do have Steph Alexander book. I remember making it and driving around with it in the back of my car to dry out for a few days first to dry it out ready for cutting. I thought drying it out was what people always did.Well here in the Barossa.:D

dustygrl70dustygrl70

Love quince paste 🙂

I experimented a bit with it this season and this is the method I like best, mostly b/c there is no chance of it burning which I did a few times with the stovetop methods :

– wrap quinces in foil and place in a covered roasting pan; roast for several hours until very tender.

– cool then peel skin and strip out cores or large lumpy bits

– at this point you can push the flesh through a seive if you dislike the little woody bits in your paste

– weigh the flesh and measure half the weight in sugar

– place flesh in a large pyrex bowl and cook in the microwave on high until it’s hot

– mush with a stick blender if you haven’t already seived it

-add the sugar and cook in the microwave on high in 10 minute bursts, stirring down between

– cook until it’s very thick and comes away from the sides

– pour into a baking paper lined tray and smooth out

– place in a sunny spot or a very low oven to dry

– dry for several days or until it is the right consistency when completely cool

This is a bit messy with removing the cores/peeling after roasting, but the roasting concentrates the flavour well.

MelissaMelissa

i have my first attempt in the fridge but i did put some on the bench and i have found that it has “set” more so i am going to get the others out of the fridge and just let time sit on the bench see what happens

Thank you everyone

Anonymous

I make it every year.

You will need a long sleeve/glove to protect you from the ‘splat’. I have a flat bladed wooden spoon which works better than a wooden spoon with a rounded end. They are cheap to buy at House or homeware stores.

Basic mix is slightly less sugar to fruit ratio.

I usually cook the fruit as per jelly, then remove the jiquid to make quince jelly and take the cores out of the cooked, drained fruit for paste.

Stir cooked fruit until it is really thick, then add the sugar. This will make the mixture runny again. Stir until very, very thick.

Usually my arm gets tired before it is at setting stage, so I scrape it onto silicone paper and finish it in the foor drier. (Turn it over once the top is really firm, peel paper off, then when it is frim on the paper side cut into squares and dry again until firm.

I also do this for apples if golden or red delicious or fuji apples are on sale. We really like quince paste, but we looovvve apple paste.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.