Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Purple Produce Challenge

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE Vegetables Purple Produce Challenge

• This topic has 20 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by tarntarn.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    tarntarn

Hi

I’ve just started my new veg garden in the north east of Melbourne and I commented to friends that I seemed to have a bent towards purple vegetables. In amongst my other normal coloured vegies I’ve already planted purple bush beans, purple potatoes, purple(ish) chard, purple kohlrabi, purple carrots, purple basil and I plan to put in some eggplant as soon as I have a spare moment and I’ll do purple cabbage and beetroot in winter. I’ve been challenged by my friends to have an entirely purple producing bed so does anyone know of any other purple crops i can sow? And do you have a few spare seeds? i can post a stamped self addressed envelope if you have anything I haven’t already planted.

Ohhh…just thought of another…black russian tomatoes. I gotta get those purple beauties in!

(and of course I already have some lavender for flavoring teas in)

Cheers

tarn:rol:

Red DragonRed Dragon

Purple King climbing beans… Purple cauliflower (violet Sicillian from The Lost Seed)…

Plums !

tarntarn

Omg…I forgot I planted plums too! Mariposa and satsuma as well as some already resident ferals – only the ferals will be cropping this year. And purple cauli is brilliant! I’ll be hunting that down.

I need a name for my veg garden…purple haze??

cheers!

tarnie

Judi BJudi B
    Keymaster

There are also purple podded peas, purple asparagus and purple onions. I just remembered purple oakleaf lettuce.

purplehatpurplehat

I’m the same! I have planted the purple beans and potatoes and carrots so far. 😀 Good luck with yours, here’s hoping for a mighty purple crop this year! hehe :tup:

TiddlypomTiddlypom

You could try purple tomatoes – but they’re genetically engineered 😮

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,24555804-662,00.html

ErthgirlErthgirl

purple spuds…. ‘saphire’ and ‘purple congo’:wave:

djcdjc

I don’t know if it would grow in Australia by we grow purple sprouting broccoli. Its a brassica that you plant one year and it fills the ‘hungry gap’ that you get early spring.

debby-leedebby-lee

tarn wrote:

I need a name for my veg garden…purple haze??

tarnie

And you can be the purple people eater 😛

armadilloarmadillo

I have a purple russian tomato. Much more robust than the black one. No seed however , but the guy who grew it got seed from greenharvest. I also have the purple cauli seeds.

Will put them in the seed swappy thingy. cheers.

I rencently went looking on ebay for purple vegie seeds.Someone was selling a pack that had around 10 different types but I couldn’t find it on there just now.

Some others that I have found though are mustard greens (osaka),

artichoke (romanesco), capsicum, radish, chilli (tiger), also passionfruit and appleberry or mountain blueberry.

I love anything purple.

thepoolroomthepoolroom

Mulberries!

scarecrowscarecrow

Hi Tarn

What a great idea…purple veg(greens especially) are high in anti-oxidents…very healthy. :tup:

I’ve got some purple asparagus seed but it will take a while to produce purple spears.

Red Russian Kale is really purple too (have seed)

Purple Mustard (have seed)

Red Shiso looks more purple to me (have seeds)

I have a Purple Capsicum (have seeds but not sure if they’ll grow true to type yet)

djc purple broccoli will grow here Phoenix seeds have a Purple Peacock Broccoli. They also have a Purple Oakleaf Lettuce

Eden Has a Plum Purple Radish

Purple top turnips?

Green Harvest have a Violetto Globe Artichoke

Onion Purplette

Tomatillo ‘Purple’

Purple grapes?

How about some Purple Flowers to attract the good bugs:

Phacelia is great (have a few spare seeds)

Lucerne

Borage

Chives flowering

Society garlic

Sage (and Purple Sage)

Catmint

Anise Hyssop (have seeds)

Purple Alyssum

Cornflowers

Asters

Johnny Jump Ups Viola (more a winter flower) (have seeds)

Nigella

Dusty Miller

The bees especially like purple flowers!

Tarn PM me if you want any of the seeds

MumchookMumchook

What a brilliant idea – a purple garden! I think I might start planting up a purple vegie section of my garden. I already have a number of purple-y flowering plants etc.

GREAT compilation of photographs, Scarecrow – as usual! – some lovely plants there…

:tup:

Red DragonRed Dragon

Dont’ forget the reddy-purpley ones like red velvet and red cos lettuce and red spring onions. Can’t wait to see some pics of people’s purple patches 😆

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.