Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Pumpkin vines not producing female flowers?

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE Vegetables Pumpkin vines not producing female flowers?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    VanessaVanessa

I have a few “volunteer” pumpkin plants which have come up around the garden, and there are quite a few flowers on them but all male.

Is there any tricks to get them to produce female flowers or do I just have dud plants?

Vanessa

slowlynowslowlynow

The best one i’ve found is to trim the ends of the runners, seems to do the trick and bring on the female flowers!

SteveSteve
    Keymaster

I’ve found that you just have to wait a bit longer for the female flowers. They turn up eventually.

Is there an analogy there? 😉

froot_loopzfroot_loopz

I cant get mine to flower at all, theyve been in a couple of months now, decided Im ripping them out

earthwalkerearthwalker
    Participant

I have the same thing “volunteers” with just the male flowers. A friend told me to chop the ends. They have now produced more leaves and have buds forming – hopefully females amongst them. Should they survive – I’ll report back.

BelBel

sulphate of potash encourages flower formation in tomatoes. Wonder if it works for pumpkins too?

bushybushy

I find this happens to my zucs as well, but then may swing around to all female, which is just as bad as the fruit falls off after a few days if not fertilised.

I have no idea why.

Hummer HumbugHummer
    Keymaster

I believe that if you keep your vine to a length of approx 10 ft, by pinching it back it should produce both male & female flowers 🙂

earthwalkerearthwalker
    Participant

Sulphate of potash is brilliant for just about everything.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.