Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Progress and the Economy

Home Forums OVER THE BACK FENCE General chat and catching up Progress and the Economy

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    MuklukMukluk
    Participant

I work somewhere that has people who are constantly telling me about how great ‘progress’ is. But when they explain what ‘progress’ actually means it seems like a nightmare.

They also go on and on about the economy and how we need to bolster and strengthen the economy. Again, every time they explain what constitutes a strong economy it sounds like everything that is good for the economy is bad for individuals and terrible for families. The only good thing about a strong economy is that there are more jobs and jobs provide income.

Is it just me, or are these ideals that we are told to strive for actually really bad?

df418df418

If economy means the state of production and consumption of goods and servoces then a ‘booming’ economy is bad, right?

SnagsSnags

The Capitalist economic system requires the constant manufacture and marketing of useless items or items that will need to be thrown out and replaced.,,,I would like to see that system fail

MuklukMukluk
    Participant

It also seems to me that people no longer know the difference between what they want and what they are told to want.

Harry SummerHarry Summer
    Participant

“The system isn’t broken, its made this way” is an interesrting saying I often use if I hear the economy is this or that etc. The fact is that money is basically a way to enslave and divide people. It has no value what so ever. All we need is comfort, water, food and good company.

It brings to mind a quote from Chief Seattle,

“Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realise that we can not eat money.”

This is my second comment since joining this cool communiy yesterday ……………. looks like good company indeedy. So I have that, comfort. water & food ………………………….. I’m laughing.

Like snags, I’d like to see this ‘system’ fail as well

Eira ClaptonEira Clapton
    Participant

Affluenza and the production of useless goods which use up the world’s precious resources -sounds like a broken mess, doesn’t it?

There are so many worthwhile things to do, which would improve people’s lives and the world, but the market economy doesn’t want to pay for it. I know great people who are unemployed because the market doesn’t want them at their age, for example.

It would be great to have a new way forward.

Gordon ScottGordon Scott
    Participant

No you are not alone i think the same way, it is a cliché constantly used by the media and our ignorant Politicians.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.