Aussies Living Simply

Problem with Potatoes

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE Vegetables Problem with Potatoes

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Rinelle

I planted some seed potatoes in my wicking bed garden about 2 months ago, and they’ve been growing crazy, flowered, fruited, still haven’t died off yet though. I dug around under them today, thinking I might pull them out anyway (they’re taking over the garden!), but couldn’t find any potatoes! Pulled a couple of plants out, and though there are some very very small bumps on some of the roots (like under 1cm across), there are no potatoes at all that I can find.

What did I do wrong? Is doing potatoes in a wicking bed a bad idea? Too much water and nutrients? Are they likely to make potatoes at this point, or should I just pull them out and call it a loss?

porgey

Rinelle post=332552 wrote:

What did I do wrong? Is doing potatoes in a wicking bed a bad idea? Too much water and nutrients? Are they likely to make potatoes at this point, or should I just pull them out and call it a loss?

I think they are overfed. I had fairly good success this year with my potatoes and the tough love approach seemed to work fairly well. To much water and nutrients seems to stimulate vegative aerial growth in favour of tuber formation.

I have found that lots of compost, which attracts humus producing worms, and some well rotted cow manure is all they need with very little extra watering.

bushy

Yes they may be a bit overfed but at 8 weeks they are still young, and should produce well.

Have they flowered yet? There will be small spuds on by flowering time.

Rinelle

Yeah, They flowered a couple of weeks ago. I can see the stalks where the flowers/fruit have fallen off.

bushy

Hmmm, well that does seem strange, should be at least golf ball size spuds there……..

bluezbandit

I grew a fabulous crop last season in my wicking beds (better than i ever got in the ground) but I wait until the plants have died down. I got lots of good sized spuds.

Deb

karyn26

I too grew potatoes in a wicking bed last year and they did really well also.I’ve still got some leftovers popping up in there this year.

Why you have no spuds I dot know!!!!

Rinelle

Hmm. Maybe I’ll wait till they die off and see. There are what might be tiny potatoes on. Maybe they’ll get bigger? It’s very strange. I’ve never had this problem with potatoes before.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.