Aussies Living Simply

preserving

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 111 total)
  • Author
    Bel

mumof6 post=360798 wrote: Was watching GA on ABC and they were doing a tomato segment then on preserving pasta sauce and they showed the expensive machine to make it then he said but I don’t do that, he cut up his toms and with the end of a wooden spoon just stuffed them in skin and all till it was full put lid on the said put in a pot with water up to just under rim bring to boil and leave an hour I never looked at it that way, I always cut up toms and drained overnight then ran through my sauce muli then bottled giving a thick sauce sometimes I would add a basil or oregano leaf. I think I will try this way as I could do a jar and process as the fruit ripen rather then collect enough for a large process.

I just dice my tomatoes and stick them in Fowlers jars before boiling them in a water bath, much like the guy on GA did. Then they’re just like jars of diced tomatoes. Definitely a lot quicker if you don’t have time to boil & mouli them when your tomatoes are ready for picking.

Bel

mudhen post=360786 wrote: No worries, Bel – I have been enjoying my cooking days too, and am really looking forward to the market! Might bump that thread now that I think of it!

Well, who knew it was possible, but I bought 3 boxes of tomatoes on Sunday for $2 each!! Mind you, they are terrible tomatoes with lots of bad spots, but there are enough good bits to make it worth while. Last night I found 5 kgs worth to cut up for sauce, will put that on to cook tonight. I also bought some cute little cucumbers to have a go at some sweet pickled gherkins. They are a bit on the big side, technically, but worth having a shot. Chestnuts and pomegranetes are coming in to season now, and the first of the mandies were on sale too. I got lots of Granny Smith apples to make mint jelly and rosemary jelly with.

what a bargain mudhen!! I spent $20 on a box of tomatoes on the weekend – they were mostly good, but I think they were a bit expensive. Mind you, they were romas and organic too.

I’ve made up for lost time with preserving this week – so far made rhubarb jam, tomato sauce, zucchini relish, tomato chutney and tomato & rhubarb chutney.

How did your gherkins and jellies go mudhen? I noticed an ad for apple picking in Summertown on FB tonight – might be a fun excursion with the kids and a great way to get some apples!

froot_loopz

I ended up baking the pears and feeding them to the chooks, I ran out of time to do anything. plus my kitchen is a mess, rock on school holidays

Lady Bee
    Keymaster

Good on you with the wine, mummyjas. I haven’t done grape wine, but I’ve made plum wine (still waiting on that one as it needs a while in the bottle) and a damson wine which has turned out really well. Sort of like a lambrusco with a slight ‘spritz’ to it. A light, refreshing red that we’ve been serving chilled over summer.

My latest preserving has been to figure out what to do with excess tomatoes. Already got enough sauce, bottled tomatoes, paste, salsa, etc. So I decided to try my hand at baked beans. After 65 minutes in the pressure canner, I now have 13 jars of baked beans in tomato sauce.

Going to try some tonight for dinner.

Snags

If it works out would love the recipe on BB

Bel

Well done mummyjas! I’m impressed.

Would also be interested in baked bean recipe Lady B.

mudhen

Tomatoes, quinces and apples are on my to-do list today! I processed 7 jars of tomatoes yesterday and will do that many again today, as well as some tomato paste if I have enough to stretch that far.

I’ve had a couple boxes of quinces in the garage ripening and waiting to be used, and they are being made into quince paste – I’m poaching them in the pressure cooker while my thermomix is blending and cooking down the passata, then once that’s cleaned up I’ll do at least a couple batches of paste. I was going to poach then bottle some and freeze some of the quinces but I’ve been given a 10kg bucket of the biggest most gorgeously scented ones by my son’t boss, and they will be much nicer to have in bottles than my slightly mangy looking ones that will make fine paste. I’ve almost run out of the nectarines that I froze at the beginning of summer for use in frozen fruit desserts, and I think quinces will make a fine winter substitute. I’m sure I have a recipe for quince ice cream tucked away somewhere!

We made and froze about a dozen small apple pies a few weeks back from the 10kg box of granny smiths I picked up at the market, and I’m hoping to get to the rest of them to bottle for making crumbles later this winter. I’m thinking I might even stick a few slices of poached quince in with the apples to add a bit of colour and depth of flavour. I was happy with my mint and apple jelly but have decimated my mint plant, so will have to buy more mint if I want to make any more.

GirlFriday

Wow everyone has been busy 🙂 I have had some time off work (the way the roster fell gave me a week off) so have made Sweet Fruit Chutney, Apple and Rhubarb jam (so tasty!), restocked my pasta sauce supplies, bottled up some diced tomatoes and have plans to make some tomato sauce tomorrow. My dehydrator has been busy too preserving all sorts of herbs and will tomorrow be making beef jerky- I made the mistake of leaving the last lot in the jar where the teenagers could see it and it mysteriously evaporated out of the closed jar (if I am to believe the teenagers!)

I opened a bottle of nectarines from a few Summers ago recently and made a crumble with it and Beloved made a homemade custard to go with it- divine!

I managed to score two boxes of Granny Smiths for $6 each from our local fruit and vege shop (my fruit trees are all still in their infancy. I cooked up one box today for bottled apple puree- the kids love it straight from the jar but they also know that they can make apple pies with it in the pie maker with some puff pastry.

That recipe for Rose Syrup sounds terrific- my roses are pink and white- highly fragranced- does anyone know if they would still work?

mudhen

Girl Friday, if your roses are highly fragranced, that’s all you need. I take my scales and a large bowl outside while I’m picking the flowers so I get the right amount. I have a fragrant red rose bush and a “just joey” which is sort of cream and peach and smells lovely too. The red ones give it the colour and the fragrance is still there after the cooking – I tell people it’s like Turkish Delight in a bottle! Give it a try – you won’t be disappointed.

Bobbee

:nice:

I love this thread but boy it makes me feel lazy, everyone seems to do so much work, well done all of you. :clap:

🙂

mudhen

If it makes you feel any better, Bobbee, I woke up with a bug this morning and slept all day! My busy-ness tends to go in spurts, I’ll have heaps of energy for a few days then slow down. And everyone has different seasons in life, too. I’m looking forward to one day being able to sit and look out on the world as it hurries past.

Bobbee

Thank you mudhen, and yes it does make me feel better that you thought to be so sweet to me. :kiss:

This is definitely a season for me to sit and watch the world hurry past, and it has its moments. But I am looking forward to taking a more active role again in the, hopefully, near future. :tup:

🙂

GirlFriday

I made Tomato Sauce for the first time in my life today and bottled it. It smells nice and coats the back of a spoon well so I have high hopes for it.

Havent managed to get to my pickled onions yet which are still soaking in brine.

Nick Carroll

Was cleaning up the cupboards so toke these photos below.

mudhen

I will have to figure out adding photos again – yours look great, Nick!  I made about a half a dozen jars of blood orange marmalade a week or so ago using my favourite marmalade recipe:  http://ivyphyllisandme.blogspot.com.au/2013/02/grapefruit-marmalade.html  I love that it is so no fuss, and the cooking time for the actual marmalade is quite short.  Mine has always set beautifully.  

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 111 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.