Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

preserving

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 111 total)
  • Author
    BelBel

Made quince jelly last night. In the process of making quince paste now. Fun if you don’t mind having hot melted lava fruit spat at you!

dierichdierich
    Participant

That pear and ale chutney does sound good! Bel, was it you who recently-ish got a Thermomix – it is perfect for making quince paste, just set and forget and no lava splatters all over the stove and your arm!!

BelBel

dierich post=360605 wrote: That pear and ale chutney does sound good! Bel, was it you who recently-ish got a Thermomix – it is perfect for making quince paste, just set and forget and no lava splatters all over the stove and your arm!!

That chutney got me a 3rd place in today’s Mt Pleasant show! No, not me who got the Thermomix, unfortunately, although I know mudhen and Vanessa have one (very jealous!). I’ve still got another 2kg of quinces to prepare – not looking forward to it!

PS Did you see the thread about the GTG this weekend? I suppose a bit far for you??

froot_loopzfroot_loopz

Well done Bel on the third place

BelBel

I also got seconds for my quince jelly and dark plum jam and first for hot cross buns 🙂

fruitfulfruitful

I’m going to try to put a picture on here of the tomato preserves, I think the problem was my pictures were too big so this is a tester:

🙁 pic didn’t attach

SilverbeetSilverbeet

Wow I am inspired! Help! Have just bought my first bottling kit and have preserved tomatoes and apples. No matter how hard I pack the fruit, I am still ending up with fruit floating to the top of the jar post preserving. I am leaving the recommended 12mm head space at the top of the jar after adding liquid. Not sure what I am doing wrong. Any tips would be gratefully appreciated. (The Fowlers book says it could be the sign of a good seal but it looks odd!) with thanks. SB

BelBel

Silverbeet post=360665 wrote: Wow I am inspired! Help! Have just bought my first bottling kit and have preserved tomatoes and apples. No matter how hard I pack the fruit, I am still ending up with fruit floating to the top of the jar post preserving. I am leaving the recommended 12mm head space at the top of the jar after adding liquid. Not sure what I am doing wrong. Any tips would be gratefully appreciated. (The Fowlers book says it could be the sign of a good seal but it looks odd!) with thanks. SB

It happens to me most of the time too silverbeet, so don’t worry. If it bothers you, you can store the jars upside down for a short time until they rise to the top (bottom) again if you catch my drift. It doesn’t affect the fruit, so there’s no need to bother if you don’t want too. The fruit often sinks of its own accord after a while….

SilverbeetSilverbeet

Thanks Bel – I was thinking that the elaborately arranged bottles of preserves you see in the shows was never going to be me! I read today that putting a little bit of preserving liquid in the jar prior to packing helps eliminate air pockets so will try that next time! I’ve now run out of jars though 🙁 Our two ops shops have none and my friends are saying ‘oh we had some ages ago but gave them away…”. Oh well, have to wait to the next visit to a town.

mudhenmudhen

Silverbeet, it’s a shame you’re not close to me, I have quite a lot of preserving bottles to find new homes! Do you have a recycling centre near you that takes glass bottles etc? Sometimes preserving jars end up there, or you might even be able to find commercial jars that you can buy new lids for. You have got the loveliest blog – I had a look and was so impressed with your garden arbour and stone wall – amazing!

I had a good day of preserving yesterday! I finished some rose petal syrup and apple and rose jelly first. The jelly just would not set no matter how long I cooked it, so I ended up adding in some pectin. The flavour is probably more apple than rose, but the colour is glorious!

Wow, I love my gadgets, what a difference they have made to the amount of time I have to spend on things. Next I thought I’d have a go at a batch of quince paste and jelly. I had a box of quinces that Bel graciously shared with me – lovely little ones that she’d found growing on the side of the road – and some bigger ones I bought at the market. I cut the quinces into quarters and poached them with sugar and vanilla for 30 mins in my pressure cooker, then drained them, peeled the skin off and took out the cores. Peeling and coring was so much easier than trying to do it when they were raw! Into the Thermomix with the right amount of sugar they went and in 50 mins I had the most beautiful quince paste!! No stirring, getting splattered by boiling paste or pain of any sort. The jelly is on my stove now, getting ready to bottle. It think I might do another batch today if I can find enough ripe quinces in the box. Bel, I think you might have to visit next time you have quinces to cook up!

Next week I’ll make rosemary jelly and mint jelly, just have to get some cheap apples at the market first.

BelBel

mudhen post=360748 wrote: Silverbeet, it’s a shame you’re not close to me, I have quite a lot of preserving bottles to find new homes! Do you have a recycling centre near you that takes glass bottles etc? Sometimes preserving jars end up there, or you might even be able to find commercial jars that you can buy new lids for. You have got the loveliest blog – I had a look and was so impressed with your garden arbour and stone wall – amazing!

I had a good day of preserving yesterday! I finished some rose petal syrup and apple and rose jelly first. The jelly just would not set no matter how long I cooked it, so I ended up adding in some pectin. The flavour is probably more apple than rose, but the colour is glorious!

Wow, I love my gadgets, what a difference they have made to the amount of time I have to spend on things. Next I thought I’d have a go at a batch of quince paste and jelly. I had a box of quinces that Bel graciously shared with me – lovely little ones that she’d found growing on the side of the road – and some bigger ones I bought at the market. I cut the quinces into quarters and poached them with sugar and vanilla for 30 mins in my pressure cooker, then drained them, peeled the skin off and took out the cores. Peeling and coring was so much easier than trying to do it when they were raw! Into the Thermomix with the right amount of sugar they went and in 50 mins I had the most beautiful quince paste!! No stirring, getting splattered by boiling paste or pain of any sort. The jelly is on my stove now, getting ready to bottle. It think I might do another batch today if I can find enough ripe quinces in the box. Bel, I think you might have to visit next time you have quinces to cook up!

Next week I’ll make rosemary jelly and mint jelly, just have to get some cheap apples at the market first.

Wow, you’ve been busy mudhen! I might have to take you up on your offer of cooking quinces at your place next time 😉 When you cook the quinces whole first, I take it you can’t use the strained water to make the jelly? So do you cook some other peeled/cored quinces separately for the jelly liquid?

Your rose petal syrup sounds amazing. I might have to try something similar myself as we have lots of roses here. I was waiting for the wild briar rose hips to have gone through a frost (it’s meant to intensify the flavour) before I picked some to make jelly from, but the birds have got to them first. I’ll know to pick them earlier next year.

Did you have a go at cooking the haws? Mine are still in the bag – don’t know if they’re still ok. I had planned to do some preserving this week, but ended up working overtime two nights in a row and have had to sleep during the day 🙁 Might have to be a job for the weekend/next week.

Happy hunting at the market. I might go along myself to get a few citrus trees from the little old Greek guy, so I might see you there!

mudhenmudhen

Bel post=360751 wrote: I had planned to do some preserving this week, but ended up working overtime two nights in a row and have had to sleep during the day 🙁 Might have to be a job for the weekend/next week.

Happy hunting at the market. I might go along myself to get a few citrus trees from the little old Greek guy, so I might see you there!

Aha, proof that you do sleep, Bel!! I know many of us have wondered about that, with all that you get done! 😉

Yes, feel free to bring your quinces any time. I still used the strained liquid from the quartered quinces to make my jelly, didn’t seem to make any difference to the end result. I think the peels and cores are where a lot of the pectin is, I’ve always included them in my poaching, tho before I’ve put them in a cloth bag in with the peeled & cored fruit. The machine is noisy, and I had to keep an eye on it as apparently they can move around (jump off the bench!!) when working hard like that, but I solved that problem by setting it up on the floor in the garage. In the end, it didn’t move around at all.

I started de-stemming (is that a word?!) the haws Sunday night, but boy oh boy is that a laborious process! I decided that I might just use a pair of scissors to quickly cut them free from the larger stems and not worry about anything left on, seeing as I’ll be straining them anyway. The ones I picked were a bit over-ripe, I think, so I’ll mix them with the bag I picked up from you. I’m going to put some in apple cider vinegar and see how that turns out too.

I was close to buying another citrus tree from the market last time, he had a number of double grafted trees but not the sorts I wanted. I killed off another citrus tree this summer. 🙁 If you ever want me to pick up some trees for you, just let me know – at least I take a long time killing them, no quick painless death, sadly!

Rose petal syrup: http://www.italianfoodforever.com/2012/05/rose-petal-syrup/ It’s very easy to make, and smells like Turkish Delight in a bottle!

BelBel

mudhen post=360755 wrote:

I had planned to do some preserving this week, but ended up working overtime two nights in a row and have had to sleep during the day 🙁 Might have to be a job for the weekend/next week.

Aha, proof that you do sleep, Bel!! I know many of us have wondered about that, with all that you get done! 😉

Yes, feel free to bring your quinces any time. I still used the strained liquid from the quartered quinces to make my jelly, didn’t seem to make any difference to the end result. I think the peels and cores are where a lot of the pectin is, I’ve always included them in my poaching, tho before I’ve put them in a cloth bag in with the peeled & cored fruit. The machine is noisy, and I had to keep an eye on it as apparently they can move around (jump off the bench!!) when working hard like that, but I solved that problem by setting it up on the floor in the garage. In the end, it didn’t move around at all.

I started de-stemming (is that a word?!) the haws Sunday night, but boy oh boy is that a laborious process! I decided that I might just use a pair of scissors to quickly cut them free from the larger stems and not worry about anything left on, seeing as I’ll be straining them anyway. The ones I picked were a bit over-ripe, I think, so I’ll mix them with the bag I picked up from you. I’m going to put some in apple cider vinegar and see how that turns out too.

I was close to buying another citrus tree from the market last time, he had a number of double grafted trees but not the sorts I wanted. I killed off another citrus tree this summer. 🙁 If you ever want me to pick up some trees for you, just let me know – at least I take a long time killing them, no quick painless death, sadly!

Rose petal syrup: http://www.italianfoodforever.com/2012/05/rose-petal-syrup/ It’s very easy to make, and smells like Turkish Delight in a bottle!

Yes, mudhen, sleep is such a bore! Alas, the afternoon shifts were getting the better of me last week and I even had to sleep during the day :pinch: After 8 days straight, I’ve got 4 days off this week – woohoo! Bring on the preserving. I’m all stocked up on sugar and vinegar and looking forward to some time in the kitchen. Thanks for the tips and recipes 🙂

mudhenmudhen

No worries, Bel – I have been enjoying my cooking days too, and am really looking forward to the market! Might bump that thread now that I think of it!

Well, who knew it was possible, but I bought 3 boxes of tomatoes on Sunday for $2 each!! Mind you, they are terrible tomatoes with lots of bad spots, but there are enough good bits to make it worth while. Last night I found 5 kgs worth to cut up for sauce, will put that on to cook tonight. I also bought some cute little cucumbers to have a go at some sweet pickled gherkins. They are a bit on the big side, technically, but worth having a shot. Chestnuts and pomegranetes are coming in to season now, and the first of the mandies were on sale too. I got lots of Granny Smith apples to make mint jelly and rosemary jelly with.

mumof6mumof6

Was watching GA on ABC and they were doing a tomato segment then on preserving pasta sauce and they showed the expensive machine to make it then he said but I don’t do that, he cut up his toms and with the end of a wooden spoon just stuffed them in skin and all till it was full put lid on the said put in a pot with water up to just under rim bring to boil and leave an hour I never looked at it that way, I always cut up toms and drained overnight then ran through my sauce muli then bottled giving a thick sauce sometimes I would add a basil or oregano leaf. I think I will try this way as I could do a jar and process as the fruit ripen rather then collect enough for a large process.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 111 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.