Aussies Living Simply

preserving

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 111 total)
  • Author
    dierichdierich
    Participant

$3.50 -wow! The $7.00 I paid was the cheapest I have ever paid, I thought $10 was a bargain previously. Mind you, the petrol to get me to Gepps Cross would be way more than the price difference!!

fruitfulfruitful

that’s great mudhen that you manage to get good tomatoes for that price, after this session of preserving I’m thinking that I’ll look out for the smaller jars like the number 20s as that is what I/we used most of and I have quite a few boxes of the larger jars but I can’t imagine what I would put in them that my family would eat in such large quantities. I’m sure if you put the word out here there would be buyers for those jars and if not I have some people I know who are always on the lookout for them, let me know what price your friend is wanting and we will see what happens 🙂 . Fortunately I did have some packets of new rings that I had bought over time and we did notice the difference in sizes of the old and new rings so tried to choose the ones that looked in the best condition.

I’ll try to get a copy of the old book and the new just to see the difference, if I’m using mostly smaller jars the older unit may be good enough.

Thanks for the information

:clap:

Kristy, if you are interested in buying a unit I’ll keep an eye out at garage sales for you, let me know if you are willing to wait for a while – I’m trying to spread the word with people I know who go to garage sales that we can help each other out by looking out for items for each other if we have an idea of how much a person is willing to pay for a wanted item. I do the same with the wants list on LETS, if I know an item is sought after I will keep that in mind when I go into an op shop or to garage sales!

KristyKristy

I could be interested depend son pricing and timing Fruitful, but if you do see something feel free to let me know 🙂

fruitfulfruitful

I’ll look out for your Kristy, it is kind of difficult with garage sales because it’s an ‘in the moment’ thing where you see something and really have to get it straight away. Anyway I’ll just use my own judgement on price and condition, are you interested in stove top or electric or whichever happens first?

So many variables that it’s good to have some guidelines in mind before going out.

KristyKristy

Fruitful I might give it a miss at the moment as it isn’t high on the list at the moment. I appreciate you offering to look for me 🙂

froot_loopzfroot_loopz

I really want to tackle preserving.

Is there anywhere you can go that teaches you how to do this? Ive read heaps on the net but actually want to see it done.

My mother does jams and resells them, shes in WA

I noticed yesterday that big w, have the ball jars in and they had a water bath kit for sale.

I grabbed the book they sell with these jars, I might try one of the jam recipes.

fruitfulfruitful

froot_loopz,

I took my daughter to our local bake n brew shop and watched a cheesemaking demo, they got a rep from one of the brands they sell in to do it (we had to pay to watch but got to take a cheese making kit home, I don’t know if they would do something like preserving but you could always ring and enquire.

The best way, I think, is to get together with someone who does it and give them a hand. For example the next get together, if nothing in particular is going on you could ask for a small demo (I know Bel does a lot of preserving :ohmy: hope I don’t get in the bad books for suggesting this coz I think they are planning soap making). Also in Gawler we have a Transitions Towns group and we are planning more preserving days after this last tomato preserving effort. The group is on facebook if you want to join, otherwise I will probably be posting here the next time a preserving day is planned.

I’ve just been talking to a friend who can get a couple of tree loads of figs so we are trying to find recipes and seeing if there is any interest in another session of jam/preserve making. Don’t know when it will be but should be in the next few months??

froot_loopzfroot_loopz

thanks fruitful, Im already a member of the Transitions Towns group, I kept an eye on that tomato one, it looked like fun.

froot_loopzfroot_loopz

I grabbed the pears off the tree today, well what was ripe and hasnt been eaten. I’ll have to decide what to do with them now

froot_loopzfroot_loopz

I thought it might have been rats that was eating mine, but a rosella flew out of the tree this arvo, so Im thinking its them.

froot_loopzfroot_loopz

rofl

jaden62jaden62

mummyjas, Mitre10 on Park Tce in Salisbury used to carry the Fowlers lids, seals & clamps if they’re what you’re looking for. They didn’t have a lot of them, but they are the only place I’ve seen them for a long time.

If you’re using the Ball Mason stuff, try http://www.redbacktrading.com.au/ – though I have seen a blog from yanksdownunder.net saying that it’s cheaper to get them (even here) via Amazon.

BelBel

This is where is buy my lids and rubber seals: oz-farmer australia

fruit-loopz, I should’ve told you about a preserving workshop they had at the Mt Pleasant Natural Resource Centre – I think it was last weekend. They were making jams, doing Fowlers-type preserving, saving herbs etc. They hold all sorts of workshops. I might go to a crochet one they’re holding soon.

We can do some preserving when we have the GTG if you want. Just depends on what you want to preserve….

I’m off to Gepps X market today to look for some preserving fruit bargains with mudhen. Yesterday I was going past a roadside tree in Houghton and scored a few kg’s of free quinces, yay! They’re still a bit under-ripe, but will be fine for preserves and will keep ok for a little while.

froot_loopzfroot_loopz

thanks bel, not sure if Im getting to the GTG though yet.

might just go buy some jars from big w and bite the bullet, and try doing these pears, I can only stuff them up or get it right LOL

froot_loopzfroot_loopz

i has jars, and a clean kitchen.

I am going to tackle the pears tomorrow after work, wish me luck, I do have a QUESTION though.

What do I pop in the water with the pears, to stop them going brown while peeling and prepping them all? I use orange or lemon juice in the fruit salads at work, can I use lemon juice, or do you suggest something else

I popped cooked pumpkin (coles markdowns), and freshly picked zukes and capsicums into the freezer today

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 111 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.