Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Preserving Mulberries – not jam!

Home Forums HOMEMADE Home Preserving, Food Storage and Stockpiling Preserving Mulberries – not jam!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    zippyzippy

Hello there,

It’s been … YEARS since I’ve been on here, but I’m back because I know the wealth of knowledge that’s here! I hope you can help.

We pick between 5-10kg of MASSIVE mulberries every year from a friend’s tree.I dont have a freezer anymore to make pies and freeze. BUT I’d like to make pie filling.

My pie filling (when making a pie right now) has raw mulberries tossed in flour and sugar, put in the raw pie base/top and baked. Perfect.

Now, can I simply bottle them like that? I’ve read horrible things about using flour in bottling methods (taste, look and consistency bad).

I just want them kept for later. Is preserving them in syrup going to loose the taste?

Any help much appreciated :hug:

calliecatcalliecat
    Participant

can you not just bottle them in water and leave out the flour?

or if you have heaps, juice some and use the juice to bottle them in?

just a thought

mudhenmudhen

Hello again, Zippy! I love your idea of canning pie filling, and did a bit of research this morning. It seems that in the US they sell this stuff called “Clearjel” which is modified corn starch (flour) but there is some debate as to whether or not it’s made from GMO corn. You can only buy it from the US, online is possible. Otherwise, I found this recipe for apple pie filling using corn starch: http://www.skiptomylou.org/2009/10/05/homemade-canned-apple-pie-filling/comment-page-1/#comments It’s in the comments of this blog post, on the first page. I am keen to give this a go, as we love apple pie but I also don’t have room in my freezer for it. It would be worth adapting the recipe for mulberries, or even make an apple / mulberry combo filling. Why not try a small batch and see how it comes out?

SnagsSnags

If the sauce you are thickening is acidic, you can substitute arrowroot for the cornstarch.

Acid makes cornstarch less effective as a thickener.

Tapioca starch is another good alternative.

http://culinaryarts.about.com/od/sauces/ht/slurry.htm

Worked this out when I researched why my left over stir fry was in a runny sauce.

zippyzippy

Thanks everyone! Just done some pies, heaps left!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.