Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Preserved Lemons

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    SpriteSprite

I was wondering if anyone can offer a good preserved lemon (Not butter lemon) recipe. I have consulted a few books but would prefer to give a “tried and true” one a go

Middle Eastingly yours

j65363j65363

Hi Sprite,

I made some preserved lemons last year using following this method adapted from taste.com.au:

~~~

Makes 5 preserved lemons

Ingredients

5 (about 600g) small to medium lemons

145g (1/2 cup) sea salt

375-500ml (1 1/2-2 cups) fresh lemon juice

Method

Wash and dry a 1L (4-cup) capacity glass jar with a plastic or plastic-lined lid (a metal lid could corrode). Wash and dry lemons to remove any surface dust or dirt. Scrub the skin to lift any dirt or grit that is hard to remove.

Cut one end of each lemon, about 5mm from the base, so they sit flat. Place 1 lemon at a time, cut-side down, on a chopping board and cut lengthways into quarters without cutting all the way through to the base. Repeat with remaining lemons.

Fill each lemon with as much salt as possible. Salt extracts juice from the lemon, softening the rind. Push lemons into jar. Sprinkle over remaining salt.

Pour over enough lemon juice to completely cover lemons. Seal, and store in fridge. Once lemons have settled in jar, you might need to add more lemon juice to ensure the lemons remain covered. The lemons will start to soften and might start to float. As a result, they may not stay entirely covered with juice and may develop a harmless white mould.

To use, remove a lemon from brine and rinse under cold running water. Pat dry with paper towel. Use a sharp knife to cut flesh from rind. Discard flesh. Cut off white pith from rind. Discard pith.

~~~

I found I had to use a heap more salt than they called for. I keep the lemons in the fridge and turn the jar upside down every so often to discourage mould forming. I have only used them once and they are super salty, even after rinsing (not sure what I was expecting there!!), so I don’t know when I’ll use them again. Looking back, I think I kept adding more salt to the jar when I should have been adding more lemon juice. But maybe preserved lemons are supposed to be salty? I had never tried one before 🙂

good luck,

Jo

FishfoodFishfood

There’s a drink i have had at my Italian friends place called limoncello [spelling ] that’s nice

Do you have the recipe Fishfood? It sounds like a nice summer drink.

I have preserved lemons using rock salt, but like Jo found that they were too salty for my taste (I rarely add salt when cooking except on tomatoes and potatoes). I think you use them as additives for Moroccan cooking, at least that is the only use I have found for them.

You can also glaze the skins. Peel the ‘zest’ leaving the white bits behind and stack it in sugar. Useful for fruitcakes and as a decorative trim for cake icing.

FishfoodFishfood

Not at the moment but i know somebody who has it

SpriteSprite

Hi Jo thanks for your reciepe

Does anyone know if you can waterbath (ie: fowlers vacola) jars of preserved lemon? Does it ruin the flavour? I”m asking because I have a lot of lemons and very little fridge space, so would much prefer to store them in a pantry

Many thans

Hi Sprite, there is an alternate preserving method outlined on the other thread (salted lemonade) which might suit your needs. The end producct can be stored in the pantry (i.e. a cool dark place).:tup: Though I imagine that the same can be done with ones done the rock salt way. The plus side of the other method might be less salty results …

dixiebelledixiebelle

My version & some recipes…

http://eatatdixiebelles.blogspot.com/2008/04/preserving-lemons.html

I store them in the pantry, even after opened. They last for ages, but the salt/ juice mix can go jelly-like after too long.

And yes, they are salty! Use only a small amount (that’s why I cut mine into eights to preserve, not quarters) and chop finely, to put into salads, casseroles, stuffing etc.

Yummy recipes there Dixiebelle!

creekercreeker

You shouldn’t need to refrigerate or waterbath lemons preserved in brine – the salt does all the work for you. I’ve got several batche sin the pantry, the oldest is nearly two years and they are still fine. I don’t rinse mine off, sometimes I remove the flesh if I plan to finely chop them for rice or salad, or I add them whole to soup or casserole.

ali_celtali_celt

Totally OT but – Hi Creeker, haven’t seen you round here in ages LOL wanna catch up?

creekercreeker

Hiyaself ali_celt :wave:

No, not been here much lately, will PM you

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.