Aussies Living Simply

Power Pioneers

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    forest
    njh

It’s not exactly simple?

peterh

Great article Rhonda. Once again it proves there are alternatives that are sustainable, but depressing knowing the cost is out of my reach and even more so out of the reach of government thinking!:(

daviesgang

What that highlights to me is how much we are being ripped off here in australia. That man’s enitire power system cost him around $34000 to set up and install (if I read that correctly) and yet here we couldn’t even get a house on solar for anywhere near that. Makes me wonder if maybe it would be better to go over to America and buy everything we need ourselves and then put it all in a shipping container and send it back to Australia. Even with all the transportation costs and taxes etc it would turn out cheaper. Like he got his wind turbine (inc. the 65 foot steel pole) for under $3000. In Australia he probably wouldn’t even get the steel pole for that price. It makes me so mad :mad::@:tdown:

dancier

Just skimmed through but if he needs 20kwh a day then somethings wrong. In the early days he was on track but now I think he’s the plot, he’s moved into the bush, not on the grid and wants to live like he is on the grid. Garage door, 4 computers, coffee machine, flat panel Tv etc. One thing for sure is the dark side has got him, consumerism.

Wazza

I want to go solar next year and have done a bit of research. The independent purist in me says I’d like a stand alone system, but I’m going for a grid connect system as I won’t need to buy an expensive bank of storage batteries. Typical costs for these systems installed (after the $4,000 government rebate) are:

Daily Output

4 kWh = $9,800

7 kWh = $16,500

11 kWh = $24,600

14kWh = $32,700

With a solar hot water system installed and using gas for cooking I reckon I could get by on close to 7 kWh a day. This is in Queensland where heating is not an issue. If I run the airconditioner 10 – 15 days a year I’ll have to draw on the grid and pay for that at the going rate. Its a big capital outlay, but it means hardly ever paying for electricity again. Research indicates putting in a grid connect solar system will add 5% to a property’s value. If this is correct, the system would pay for itself in a day.

If the capital cost of a solar power system is prohibitive, for about the price of a cup of coffee a day I could switch to Green Power. Then I’d be assured that my electricity consumption results in zero carbon dioxide emissions.

dancier

I heard yesterday that when you pump power back into the grid you pay GST on that component. Me thinks a meter that allows you to use and place excess in to the grid at the same time is best.

The tax office has struck again.:tdown:

forest

“Just skimmed through but if he needs 20kwh a day then somethings wrong. In the early days he was on track but now I think he’s the plot”

I thought that when I read it too, daniel. he needs to reassess his wants and needs.

Mumchook

forest wrote:

“Just skimmed through but if he needs 20kwh a day then somethings wrong. In the early days he was on track but now I think he’s the plot”

I thought that when I read it too, daniel. he needs to reassess his wants and needs.

I skimmed through it too but it seemed to me to be that the fellow who has the flat screen TV, four computers etc etc was not the author of the article, just someone he was quoting; the author goes on to say he doesn’t have a TV but sometimes watches a DVD on his laptop.

Bit confusing, I’ll have a better read later…

Christopher

Daniel, I agree. Anyone who needs to live that way is better off intown. Why build a great system only to use it for stupidness….

(I watch DVDs on my laptop, too!) 😆

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.