Aussies Living Simply

Porgeys Patch.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    porgeyporgey

Last year in winter I began building Mum a vegie garden that she could manage a bit better by making some raised garden beds. The existing vegg garden was on a slope that made it a bit tricky to work and organise. The soil was really sandy but the position was great as it faced north and was protected on all sides but still let in plenty of sun.

Well what turned out to be a weekend plan is still not finished as its grown & grown unlike anything planned. Mum had accrued a mountain of credit card reward points that where about to expire so we turned that into her vegg patch.

Here is an early photo. This photo (facing south) shows the retaining wall on the right, four raised beds, the edged climbing bed with bean frame bottom left and the two scrambling beds in the front for melons, pumpkins etc. The existing apple front left is in full leaf as it was november ’09.

porgeyporgey

Anothery (I wish I could make them bigger!)

porgeyporgey

Facing north late november.

porgeyporgey

This one is facing south opposite to the last one but closer up showing more detail. Note the grass (Kykhui) and plants (roses & a Cumquot) on the right and the dripline in the raised beds.

How do I make the photos larger?

RVGRVG

Nice, great job, well done!

BelBel

Porgey – the beds look great!

Not sure what method you’re using to resize your photos, but this is what I do. It’s probably a bit convaluted, but seems to work for me and I know nothing about computers!

1. I right click on the photo icon (without opening the photo up). I then select ‘edit’.

2. The photo opens up in ‘Paint’. I select ‘Image’ on the top tab, then ‘Stretch/Skew’

3. A box pops up with a bunch of different fields. I change the horizontal and vertical fields to 30% and leave the rest the same.

4. I then save the photo as a new name with no spaces.

5. The photo is then the right size to post. You can play around with the percentages, as long as you make them both the same.

Good luck!

porgeyporgey

Thanks RVG & Bel. It was a lot of work and I still have a stack of photos to upload. Bel, I have an Apple computer and I can resize the photos but I think one problem is I have a 10 mega pixel camera that makes the file size automatically above the maximum ALS upload unless I resize to small mode. Its a bugger. Thanks again, cheers porgey.

KippenKippen

Many cameras default to 300dpi, which is very large in MB. Setting it to 72dpi will give you a much small file size, while letting you pick a larger frame size.

Great work on the beds 🙂

HerbmanHerbman

Wow – the beds look great :tup:

geminiscgeminisc

fancy shcmancy patches! i’m so jealous! :tup:

porgeyporgey

I will try this photo

FeyWindFeyWind

I have a mac too – I open the photos in preview and use the adjust size tool in the tool menu. I think it also lets you “save as” and adjust the quality of the picture.

kerriebkerrieb

porgey my camera is 6Mega pixel in the mac I go to file then, export, save as, I pick Jpeg, and photo size medium gives a file to upload for ones I post.

sue esue e

gee those beds look good porgy! i would love a nicely set out vege patch like that -especially raised beds!:tup: to resize photos i just right click on the photo and then go to resize and then you can choose what size you want.

porgeyporgey

Thank you all for your comments and advice, most appreciated and with a bit of luck I may have solved the small photo problem. See if this one works. Its a photo of a (to large) grape trellis made from mostly salvaged 100 x 100 mm Cypress pine ripped to 100 x 50 mm and 50 x 50 mm as well as old tennis court wire fencing.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.