Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

popcorn recipe please

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    kerriebkerrieb

Hi everyone

I’m trying cut down on the amount of unhealthy snack/junk food coming into the house. DH likes popcorn which I don’t mind but he gets the microwave buttered popcorn which has that much junk in it its not funny, not to mention the packaging. If there is no junk food in the house he’ll go to the shop to get some and half the time get other stuff we don’t need as well.

Can anyone suggest a buttered popcorn recipe that I can make with plain old popcorn. I’llneed to stick the recipe on the jar for him. Anytime I try and make popcorn I seem to end up with heaps of unpopped corn.

Cheers

Kerrie

IdunaIduna

I’m sure someone out there will have a better idea than me but I use an air popper to make my popcorn. If someone feels like butter popcorn I melt the marg/butter in the microwave and add some extra salt to the butter and then poor it over the poped corn, then give it a quick mix with your hand. I find it’s the salt that makes people want more, they add more butter/marge to get the extra salt. For more salt just add some more to the top the butter will help it stick.

RushRush

I’m not sure about the butter part, but I find the easiest way to make popcorn is in a paper bag in the microwave.

Just pour in an amount of popping corn into the bag, fold the top over and stand by your microwave until the popping slows down. Very easy!

I add salt and chilli powder to mine. A great snack that’s very tasty and very healthy too!

I always find adding melted butter to popcorn makes it go soggy, but you can buy popcorn seasoning from the suppy-doops. It’s normally with the seasonings and spices.

Happy popping!!! 😀

LearningLearning

I love popcorn cooked in lots of coconut oil. Very delicious and very healthy.

WombatWombat

I thought coconut oil was high in saturated fat…………….or was that palm oil.

We use a hot air popper, which, considering how quick and effective it is, makes sense to me. We would use at elast as much gas heating the pan up to temperature. Plus no oil so it can be as low fat as you like.

Nev

LearningLearning

Nev there are lots of benefits to eating coconut oil. Scroll down this page and see if there’s anything that catches your interest. I first learnt about coconut oil through Weston A Price Foundation and Nourishing Traditions.

http://www.coconutresearchcenter.org/coconut-research.htm

ErthgirlErthgirl

Yay for coconut oil. :tup:

I made this popcorn when I had no time at all and had to bring a plate to a community meeting.

Just popped corn as normal in saucepan.

Then in another little pot melted a knob of butter, a splosh of tamari (can use soy sauce), and a dash of roasted sesame oil.

Mix it all together and when butter has melted pour over pop corn… season with cracked pepper…. yum!

Nutty savoury goodness. 😀

yup i’m with rush.

I use a brown lunch bag n pop em in the microwave. then if the kids want butter i add it melted first. Have also put pure icing sugar on it as a sweet treat too.

lorisloris

Make popcorn in the pan in oil as usual. Just make sure that you don’t put too much corn in the pan – thats why some remains unpopped. About 1/3 cup to a pan works for me.

I make a topping where I heat some ordinary table butter with some honey until its runny and pour over the popped corn as soon as I take it out of the pan. Sort of honey caramel corn.

WombatWombat

Learning wrote:

Nev there are lots of benefits to eating coconut oil. Scroll down this page and see if there’s anything that catches your interest. I first learnt about coconut oil through Weston A Price Foundation and Nourishing Traditions.

http://www.coconutresearchcenter.org/coconut-research.htm

OK L, I stand corrected!:D

Nev

mummaknowsmummaknows

i feel like popcorn now:lol:…to noisey though, the kinders are in bed

kerriebkerrieb

Thanks everyone,

The brown paper bag in the microwave worked well. I haven’t tried the butter yet. I like the icing sugar. I never had savory popcorn as a kid just the icing sugar or the lurid multicolored sweet popcorn bags you can buy.

Kerrie

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.