Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Pooris (and Gulab Jamun)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    RommieRommie

As requested by Bobbee in the ‘Memories’ thread: two things made in my parents’ household.

My Dad made gulab Jamun but I don’t have his recipe handy; however here’s one that approximates his version.

Regardless of the recipe or the cook they are very very sweet! :cheer:

My Mum made pooris (fried Indian bread):

110g wheatmeal flour

110g plain flour

1/2 tsp salt

30ml vegetable oil + extra oil for deep frying

100ml water

Put the flours and salt in a bowl; dribble the 30ml oil on top. Rub the oil into the flour so that the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Slowly add water to form a stiff dough. Knead the dough for 10-12 minutes or

until smooth. Oil and cover the dough ball and set aside for half an hour.

Knead the dough again, then divide into 12 equal balls. Flatten each and roll out into a 14-15cm round.

Heat about 2.5cm of oil in a deep frying pan and let it get very hot. Lay one poori carefully on the surface of the oil (it may sink but it should rise in a few seconds and start sizzling). Using the back of a slotted spoon, push the poori gently into the oil with tiny swift strokes. Within seconds it should puff up. Turn it over and cook the other side for about 10 seconds. Remove with the slotted spoon and put on a platter lined with paper towels. Cook all the remaining pooris in the same way.

Serve hot!

AnjaAnja

Oh that sounds yummy!! Thank you!

BobbeeBobbee

:wave:

Thanks for the recipe and the link Rommie. :clap: I have a very sweet tooth. :tup:

Take care,

Bobbs :hug: :hug: :hug:

goodfoodgoodfood

Great recipes I founded that I need..Thanks to share…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.