Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Pomegranates…recipe ideas?

Home Forums HOMEMADE Home Preserving, Food Storage and Stockpiling Pomegranates…recipe ideas?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    smurfysmurfy

hi all,

We have a mature Pomegranate tree on our propety, which, for the second year we’ve been here has fruited really well. Last year we wasted the fruit….this year I would like to use them!!!

The only ‘recipes’ I have found is to squash them over ice cream or make them into cordial….any other ideas????

Thanks,

Smurfy.:D

kerripkerrip

Hi Smurfy

I found this page that has heaps of recipes for pomegranate.

http://homecooking.about.com/library/archive/blfruit55.htm

I like the sound of the pomegranate cake. Apparently it uses the juice.

Are they easy to juice?

Kerri

ErthgirlErthgirl

I love cous cous made with roasted cumin seeds, spring onion, pomegranate seeds and sliced orange segments… all tossed together with some fresh coriander and torn mint.

You could add whatever you like really… but the pomegranate and orange combo works beautifully. :tup:

NexNex

I am so jealous. 😐

Do you not just eat them fresh? Cold from the fridge?

BTW, the easy way to get the bits out, is to cut it in half horizontally , hold it over a bowl and whack it all over with a wooden spoon. They just rain into the bowl! You may have to peel back a bit of pith to get to the last stubborn bits, but it’s much easier than any other way I’ve found!

They are delicious juiced and mixed with soda.

Eira ClaptonEira Clapton
    Participant

Nigella Lawson made a salad with pomegranate in it recently -this is shown on the ABC so there should be a recipe on their website. From memory it had kidney beans and red onion in it and a vinaigrette dressing -but don’t take my word for it.

smurfysmurfy

Thanks everyone!

karyn26karyn26

There is a pomegranate tree at the complex I work for and they just let the fruit ripen and fall to the ground:o

Next week I’m gonna raid it:lol:

kimmysmumkimmysmum

They are good as a glaze over Roast Pork makes the crackle even yummier than normal. Just use a basic glaze recipe with the pomes added to taste

Shangri LaShangri La

The magazine in the Weekend Australian has 3 pomegranate recipes; Tomato, Avocado and Pomegranate salad, Pomegranate and lamb kebabs and spiced pilaf with pomegranate. Erthgirl, I love pomegranate in couscous too, I sort of modified a Nigella Lawson recipe and it really yum.

I can try and scan if anyone wants the recipes from The Australian mag

marigoldmarigold

I once juiced them, added gelatine and – voila! very tasty fruit jelly, without all the extra yucky ‘flavours’ they seem to put in everything these days:)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.