Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Pollinating pumpkins, zucchinis etc ???

Home Forums SIMPLE SUSTAINABLE LIVING Living within your means Pollinating pumpkins, zucchinis etc ???

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    gratefulgrateful

Unfortunately the male and female flowers are open on different days on our pumpkin and zucchinis.

I was wondering if it is possible to save the male flowers and then pollinate the females when they develop ???

How long would the pollen stay viable for ???

Thanks.

JessiebeanJessiebean

I am afraid I don’t know the answer yet but I am very interested as I am having the same issue. Zucchini are setting fruit fine but I would like to ensure the pumpkin does too!

BobbeeBobbee

I’d gently peel back the petals on the male flower and then pollinate as usual. I have no idea if this is the right thing to do or not, but it is what I would do.

Good luck!

:metal::metal::metal:

mum2twinsmum2twins

I have opened a closed flower ( gently) to pollinate or opened a male flower up once it has started to die back and still used the pollen.

Sometimes it works!!

kahaykahay

If I have to pollen anything I use a small paint brush which picks up the pollen from the male plant or flower allowing transport to the female flower

Paint brush is a small art brush

AshramAshram

I used to have a collection of paint brushes that I made caps for from small plastic screw top containers. I would use one brush for pollinating all the zuchini’s, one for the tomatoes, one for the capsicums, etc. Then at the end of the season they’d all get washed in Methylated spirits and dried and used again the next year. Worked great for me 🙂

Thinks to self: “I should start doing that again”!

Anonymous

no they can’t be saved need both flowers on teh same day.

len

JessiebeanJessiebean

Some of my pumpkin plants have no females at all- many many males but no females… what can I do about this?

BobbeeBobbee

I read that if you pinch off the ends of your vines at about six feet length then that will encourage side shoots which should put out female flowers. I hope that is correct and makes sense. It’s what I do and seems to work.

:metal::metal::metal:

robatclarerobatclare

I have plenty of zucchinis and never pollinate. The pumpkins have been trouble in the past but this year I’ve planted in three separate areas.

Those in plenty of water have grown heaps of female flowers and I have half a dozen fruit.

Those that were slow to develop have not presented any females as yet.

Apart from the neighbours sheep wandering througjh and grazing (grrrrr!) I haven’t interferred with anytihng apart from water.

JessiebeanJessiebean

I’ll pinch out the tips on the large vine and then I will water the single sex plants as I have a new hose for their garden bought today!

One of my female flowers on my big vine has withered and died before it opened:(

JessiebeanJessiebean

Ok I won’t do that again- I just pinched a tip out and on close inspection there was a tiny little female flower bud nestled in the undeveloped leaves.

That really upset me- it is odd, losing a plant (or pumpkin in this case) is very hard for me- same sort of emotional pain as a miscarriage brings (but of course not nearly as severe- just the same kind of emotional pain).

You would expect my garden to be much more organised seeing how upset I get…

I am thinking about enrolling in a Adult education course for “developing a thick skin”. After this pumpkin incident I think it would be a good idea!

kerriebkerrieb

Hi Jessiebean

I think that the pumpkins are a bit slow this year. Mine are only just starting to develop female flowers now. Quite few things have been like that this year in the garden. I have ripe tomatoes but half my family have still just got green ones even my Dad who’s been growing them for 50 years.

cheers

Kerrie

JessiebeanJessiebean

rightio- I noticed my tomatoes are taking an awful long time too but I have only been living in Tassie for a year so put it down to not knowing the climate/growing conditions.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.