Aussies Living Simply

Poached eggs?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Anja

Just wondering how you go about poaching eggs? I have kind of taught myself to poach them and I am wondering if there is a better way?? Tips and ideas please!!!

My wife swirls the water before adding the egg so it stays in a neat pile.

busylizzie
    Participant

I use to add a little vinegar to boiling water before adding the egg, which was cracked into a small cup so you can add it gently to water, suppose to keep the white together more. Ive since bought an egg poacher.

Anja

Andre, how does she poach more than one egg at a time ???

Lizzie, how do they work?

*ROTFLMAO*

To put my culinary skills into perspective: I once set the kitchen on fire because I wanted to see what would happen if I deep-fry a whole egg.

If I knew any more about poaching eggs, I would have mentioned it. That was the only thing I know (but I know it’s a good one because people are always happy to hear that idea).

Sorry I can be of more help. I didn’t expect further questions.:shrug:

PS: They explode.

harooney

My tip is to use the freshest, just laid egg you have and crack gently into boiling water. I have had perfect eggs this way.

Here are 2 poached eggs (and crepes) my DD made for me on Mother’s Day this year. Perfect!! Runny in the middle Mmmmm..

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_3Sdga4QydH8/S-i_9VYVE0I/AAAAAAAABk4/Fof82zZv3Fk/s1600/P1010079.JPG

katerina

Hi Anja,

I poach eggs all the time,

I use a medium size saucepan and boil water from the kettle to put in. I fill pot about 1/3 full and put a splash of white vinegar in the water, bring it to a simmer,

then I just crack the eggs, I can fit up to 4 in a medium size pan, one at a time, drop them in slowly, as they start to whiten up, i just move them around a bit with a knife to stop them sticking to the bottom of the pan and to keep them from touching each other, no need to swirl the water.

by the time the toast has poped my eggs are ready. I remove them from the water with a slotted spoon and hold them over the pot to seam dry for a few seconds before putting with toast.

French mustard is my favourite spread with poached eggs and toast.

xxx Katerina.

saucepan with boiling water and we have little ramekin dishes in the saucepan, and the water just below the lip of the ramekins. after putting eggs in a little more boiling water till it just covers the dishes. Voila perfectly form poached eggs.

edit: a dash of vinegar in the water as well

Anja

Harooney, they look YUM!!!

HAHAHAHA@ Andre!!

Reid, sounds like a lot of washing up!!

Thanks Katerina, will try that and the swirling method and see what happens!!

Thanks everyone!!

Anja wrote:

Reid, sounds like a lot of washing up!!

Not really as the saucepan stays fairly clean and the ramekins are easy too, best part is keeping the eggs all contained.

It’s just the way we like to do it.

Steve
    Keymaster

Anja, this month’s edition of Women’s Weekly (August) has an article on Eggs Benedict (including poaching them). See page 201.

Lady Bee
    Keymaster

saucepan with boiling water and we have little ramekin dishes in the saucepan, and the water just below the lip of the ramekins. after putting eggs in a little more boiling water till it just covers the dishes. Voila perfectly form poached eggs.

that sounds like ‘coddled eggs’. Haven’t heard of them for yonks.

I have fryingpan full of water just about boiling, then crack freshly laid eggs straight into the pan. Keep it at a gentle boil until eggs are done to your liking.

Eggs Benedict – love them. Toasted English Muffin, topped with slice of real ham (from a proper ham not a pressed ham), poached egg, hollandaise sauce (made with lemon juice not vinegar) under the grill for a minute to just sizzle and brown the hollandaise. Scrumptious. There’s a cafe in Sausalito that does nice eggs benedict if anyone’s interested. 😉

harooney

MMm, eggs benedict. I use a frypan for poaching too.

kerrieb

Super fresh eggs is the key. I can never get bought eggs to work well but fresh laid ones :tup:

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.