Aussies Living Simply

PO "Stockpile List"

Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 402 total)
  • Author
    dixiebelledixiebelle

We were talking same thing last night, and this is just our thoughts, we are not experts! It reminds me of the saying my husband told me from Collapse, something like this, “If your campsite is being attacked by a bear, you don’t have to faster than the bear, you just have to be fastest than the slowest camper”. This is an awful, yet truthful, and kind of funny in an abstract way, and completely awful thought in a reality kind of way… but as long as you are not among the first wave of defaults/ foreclosure & reposession, and can hold out with mortgage payments until the banks have collapsed or they have stopped being able to evict people. That means building up savings, building up provisions, building your garden and alternate means of feeding yourselves, cheaper ways to heat/ cool your house and transport, etc.

All to help through any transition period, until you get a new job, or cash coming in again (think trades and skills and other cash making jobs), or if the banks do intend to take your house, you can get your act together to move on. We have an offset account type set up, so our savings is reducing the interest on the mortgage, but we can access it if we need to. I know it isn’t a perfect solution but maybe someone else has ideas…

RobyneRobyne

Been there done that no regrets:kiss1::kiss1::kiss1:

Have been getting medicines we both use and panadol stocked up. The local chemist [Chemart] has a lot of its own brand of medicines.

Thing I wonder about is these people who take drugs,:shrug: will they take yours or just go away.:shrug: Will need a big lock I think.

Michelle-smMichelle-sm

I was looking at having everying but my ovaries removed, I wont have to worry about cervical cancer, I wouldn’t menstruate and I wouldn’t have to worry about ectopic pregnancy. By keeping my ovaries I wouldn’t go through early menopause.

Not true. Having a partial hysterectomy does not garauntee you will not go through early menopause, in fact you are almost certain to experience menopause early after surgery even with your ovaries left intact. Once the blood supply is removed form your ovaries they will slowly atrophy, two years is the MAXIMUM you can expect them to keep producing estrogen. I had a partial hysterectomy 13months ago and am now in full menopause and have been for about 3 months. You are at a much higher risk of having your bladder and/or vagina collapse and to experience bowel problems after a hysterectomy. You may also experience on going pain from scar tissue. You are still at risk of ovarian cancer which is very difficult to detect and diagnose especially when your ovaries are no longer anchored to anything and can literally wander around your body!!

Hysterectomy is major surgery and is not something that should be entered into lightly.

roadwarriorroadwarrior

Michelle-sm wrote:

Hysterectomy is major surgery and is not something that should be entered into lightly.

This is more like what I would have expected about Hysterectomies… it is VERY major surgery, and I wouldn’t have expected people to think of it as a solution to not having kids because of the upcoming turmoil.

It would be safer just to have more kids or work out another way of having safe sex…or stock up on condoms!

There’s a thought…where can you get cheap bulk supply of condoms? And do they actually last long than the used-by date on the packet?

jennifer gjennifer g

Edited to ensure no twisted knickers…

IdunaIduna

I’m not looking at it as a solution to what might happen with a post peak oil world. My hormones are already over active and it’s making things very hard, I am already on drugs to try to help with the problem but as I get older the drugs have to become stronger and I am at the end of what they can do on that front. As for children I don’t want any. Ever.

For cancer I have a much higher risk of having other forms of cancer than ovarian. I already have a digestive disorder that affects me from one end to the other, no cure, already have had a few lots of surgerys for it, it almost killed me.

I have looked at the pros and cons of all the different forms I could take and it is the last sadly it’s now down to it.

As to early menopause I would be happy to go through it tomorrow, it may sound calous and I don’t mean to be but it would mean I could get out of the sugery and it would help with a few of the problems I already have.

I can’t have children ever with anyone.

Condoms don’t last that well after the use by date they perforate and they only work if the persons using and comming in contact with them are not allergic to them.

Sheep gut anyone?

Stock up on penny royle?

Don’t have sex.

jennifer gjennifer g

Don’t have sex.

:jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop: Get real!! Looks like I’m gonna have a tribe post po…OH well, more guards :jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop:

mossymossy

The billings method! It works, 3 years no bub so far…

roadwarriorroadwarrior

I use the HDTV method.

Y’know when you’re just kicking back watching the tube and it comes up with that little caption saying “also available in HD”. After all that money you’ve wasted on a high-def tv and yet everything seems to be broadcast in standard-def. Then finally a show comes on where you can use the tv to it’s maximum ability, you just have to watch it no matter what the show is. Could be curling from Norway, or knitting with Martha Stewart…doesn’t matter.

“sorry Darlin, I’ll come to bed later…HD show is on”. Best contraceptive ever.

jennifer gjennifer g

:lol::lol::lol: I don’t think so! :jawdrop::jawdrop: You’d be in BIG trouble!:lol::lol:

JanineJanine

Having yourself or your partner steralised is the only way to go for fool proof contraception.

jennifer gjennifer g

Having yourself or your partner steralised is the only way to go for fool proof contraception.

:confused:

dixiebelledixiebelle

Sterilisation, such as vasectomy or tubal ligation, are not 100%. Besides complete removal, or complete abstinence, they are the bext options, but not 100%.

There are other longer term forms of contraception (and they reduce your period too) options, such as Mirena, but that is only for 5 years, and if it was time to come out, and you ended up needing a doctor/ GA to remove it, and by then, none were available, guess it would just stay in, but the hormone part would have run out.

How on Earth did we get on to this!! (RW!! 😉 )… let’s talk about something else, like, ah, anybody ‘hard core’ enough that they have stocked up on clothes, shoes, bikes, and things for the kids, for as they grow older??

dixiebelle wrote:

that they have stocked up on clothes, shoes, bikes, and things for the kids, for as they grow older??

If we ever see clothes for the kids at proper sales and they are bargain priced we always buy a up to a few sizes up from what they are wearing now. Admittedly it isn’t so much a stockpiling thing, more a long term budgeting thing.

roadwarriorroadwarrior

Hey! It’s a good thing to talk about. I’ve even heard some people say they aren’t going to have kids because of what the future holds. These are all important things to consider.

Anyhoo, yeah I’ve stocked up on things for the kids too. A small amount of clothing, but mostly things they’ll need assuming there is no electricity or stores to buy good new stuff from. We’ve bought them heaps of towels, because they don’t last forever. Good woolen blankets too. they’ll be hard to come by. Bought a few extra bikes cheap, some shoes. Certainly haven’t got everything they will need when they are older, but then I’ve only got so much money and the house is only so big.

Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 402 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.