Aussies Living Simply

PO "Stockpile List"

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 402 total)
  • Author
    jennifer g

I kinda wonder what you’d do with guns if an angry crowd was coming your way? Don’t you worry it may end up being used on you? I would. I think a large army should be added to the list. ๐Ÿ˜€

edited to add, that I am not against guns, we have them for protection against wild dogs attacking our animals. I just wonder if they are collected as a protection against people PO, then that could be scary…..

Iduna

Well if I had a gun now and knew how to use it I don’t see myself goig postal and killing my nabours but in saying that I know I could shoot to kill someone that was stelling my food/water PO end of the world as we know it.

Wet stones good to sharpen knives, axes, tools and such.

roadwarrior

Guns are for two things post peak oil…hunting and as a deterant.

I’m a pacafist, pure and simple.

However I will protect myself and my family, and so will the others in my neighbourhood with firearms. An angry mob would do better if they turned around and went down another street.

Robyne

My mum said the Dad remade all the cupboards in the house so theyhad false backs so they could hide all their extra food Dad was able to get on theblack market during WW2. He also made an extra false floor in the pram so mum could put tins of meat in there.

Mum said Dad used to sell his home made whiskey to the Yanks and got food with it. Plus all were encouraged to grow their own food but not too much. a lot was stolen in England out of plots

dixiebelle

I see this thread was started quite a while ago, and was just wondering how the thread participants are going with their plans?? I did start a thread about same thing, but not many replying!! Maybe it was all the questions! ๐Ÿ˜‰ Just out of interest…

roadwarrior

Dixie: this is the same thread I linked to in yours. It will answer a lot of your questions. Have a look on the very first page of this thread and you will see my list of stockpiled items. You will see I take peak oil very seriously.

rw

bella

Dixie, I posted in your thread. I went back to find my post/s in this thread. I have a treadle sewing machine now, but I need to fix one part of it, and look into spare belts etc.

The transition/emergency/crop failure stockpile ebbs and flows with the budget and my awareness. As I said, we eat what we store, we store what we eat. ๐Ÿ™‚

We’re planting more food crops often.

Community building is going really well, keeps me sane!

dixiebelle

RW, yes, I realise that, thanks… the other thread I started (before I knew of this one) was to get ideas for what others have done, or want to do, and where they are actually up to with their plans, plus the human nature side of things, IYKWIM. To see how seriously others take it, and perhaps whether I should be doing more for my plans, I guess, and what level that should be. I know this is something I need to work out for myself & my family, but I am always interested in how others do things.

I know I can learn alot from people like yourself, and threads like this, and all the other reading/ research I do… I do not doubt that you take it seriously, and it seems to be a ‘hobby’ with a potential life-saving side to it! ๐Ÿ˜€ Perhaps I feel guilty that I haven’t put enough effort into being prepared, because there’s always other things to get done… I wondered if people in this thread, given it’s been 2 years, have done what they intended to do… not to judge anyone, just to get an idea if people take it seriously and follow through, and if they have prioritised being prepared. Does any of this make sense?

The way my husband is talking about wanting a cross bow/ compound bow, and his own fletching equipment (plenty of kangaroos in the paddocks near us!), we are about to go from ‘talking’ about needing to be more prepared to amping it up!! He calls us ‘surviromentalists”! ๐Ÿ˜†

Bella, thanks for your reply in other thread, thanks to everyone who did actually! ๐Ÿ˜€

DB346

Here is my list, a work in progress. Feel free to highlight anything obvious I have missed. For context, I have a 12 acre block with adjistment land nearby and I am assuming I have some notice.

I have started accumulatiing items, learning skills but still have much to do in the coming years.

Get following items:

Get Good Pocket Knife

Get how to books/primal living books

Get Good large Hunting Knife

Get Iron Tools รขโ‚ฌโ€œ Pick, Large hand Saw, Sickle,

Get Hoe, Pitch Fork, Axe

Purchase Rifle and Bullets

Get Candles รขโ‚ฌโ€œ lots

Get Globes รขโ‚ฌโ€œ lots

Get Batteries รขโ‚ฌโ€œ lots

Get Matches รขโ‚ฌโ€œ lots

Purchase Recurve bow and spare strings and many arrows

Get Sharpening stones

Get Stock of Seeds

Rabbit Traps

Soaps

Large metal Drums

Paracetamol

Betadine

Aspirin

Stock of building timber and iron – go to tip

Stock of Nail/Screws

Purchase books, How to?, information etc

Buy Hand grain mill

Minimum Animals to Have:

2 Dogs

1 Rooster

6 Hens

1 Dairy Cow

4 Geese

2 Goats

2 Horses

Learn Skills as follows:

Basic metal work รขโ‚ฌโ€œ Blacksmithing, forging metal etc

Growing Food รขโ‚ฌโ€œ Potatoes, Vegetables and Fruit

Growing Crop Food รขโ‚ฌโ€œ Wheat, Sugar

Hand milling grains

Bread Making รขโ‚ฌโ€œ From start to finish

Butter Making รขโ‚ฌโ€œ From start to finish

How to make Soap

Curing and Storing Meat

Sustainable living in general

Food – hunting and gathering basics

Bush survival

Teach all above skills to children

DO:

Sell all non essential items

Get out of debt ASAP

Spend any excess on supplies

Get as many family members from interstate to come to us

roadwarrior

dixiebelle wrote:The way my husband is talking about wanting a cross bow/ compound bow, and his own fletching equipment (plenty of kangaroos in the paddocks near us!), we are about to go from ‘talking’ about needing to be more prepared to amping it up!! He calls us ‘surviromentalists”! ๐Ÿ˜†

Dixie,

Tell your husband to get serious and get a rifle. No offense, but bows are far inferior compared to a firearm. I have both, but I’d sell my bow for another rifle and more ammo.

dixiebelle

He’s considering that too… but he wants to be able to easily make his own ammo in the future… there is a local archery type club he is going to join and get some skills up! He has always been fairly supportive of me & my “Be Prepared” plans, but recently has become much more aware of post peak oil & climate change implications!! ๐Ÿ˜†

I think we will divide up our responsibilities (shelter, defense, transport for him, and all the rest for me!), each have an allocated budget, then start acquiring items and skills. There needs to be some cross-over, of course, in many areas, but I think divide & conquer will mean we’ll actually get our act together! (My first blog post about TEOTWAWKI was Oct 2008… 18 months and we still only have a heap of stuff and some vague plans, we’ve been busy doing alot of things like building a food forest, but basic emergency stuff needs priority, really.)

Gosh, sorry to go on… maybe I need to look into Survivalist forums agains!! ๐Ÿ˜†

DB346, your list sounds good. We have some close family just around the corner from us, who probably have very little to help them cope in any sort of emergency, and if they come to our place, we’d be OK. But some other relatives (further away) wouldn’t come to us, we don’t have enough cigarettes and alcohol to keep them happy!! Talking about alcohol, my husband thinks a distillery would be a good thing to have!

roadwarrior

Dixie, I should be PM’ing you this info but there are other people on here that could benefit from it too. I don’t want to harp on firearms because this forum is a peaceful place, but….

If your husband is into hunting archery, he’ll understand how easy it is to damage or completely loose arrows. Also there are compound bow strings that degrade with time.

For the price of a good compound bow I could buy a good rifle or shotgun. For the price of 12 fletched arrows I could buy around 2,000 rounds of .22 ammo, or 80 rounds of 30-30 ammo. That is a massive difference! Carbon fibre shafts are expensive.

Archery is only for a range of 30-40 metres at most. My 30-30 is accurate over 200m, and my .223 can shatter a rock the size of my fist over 300m. The .22 will drop a rabbit at 80m, but a head shot on any animal up to the size of a deer will put food on my plate.

If you husband has ever stalked an animal he’ll be able to tell you have buckleys of getting within bow range unless you are extremely experienced, and even then it’s a matter of luck.

I’d rather not rely on luck in a crisis.

dixiebelle

Thanks for the info. Can I ask, for firearms, unless you are on a farm/ property, do you not have to store them & the ammo at a Rifle Club? I am not sure how much experience or knowledge my husband has had, other than being an Army Reservist years ago. Knowing him, he will research and think and plan about this, probably never get the actual time to sort it out (too busy working 60 hour weeks at the moment… I think looking into this is his downtime!), but he would never do anything involving weapons half arsed, or without the utmost safety. When we are working out our plans and items we want to acquire, we are trying to make sure they are things we will use in our everyday lives anyway, wherever possible, and also, that we keep up any skills we get. Being a survivalist, or just being adequately prepared, is serious business! ๐Ÿ˜€ But is this is the only ‘hobby’ our family has, it’s not hurting anyone, and could be life saving one day…

I have no idea about weapons or hunting, and would hope never to have to use them to hunt our food (esp. as it goes beyond just killing the animal… more skills we don’t have at the moment) but there’s alot of things we want to be prepared for that we hope we never have to use! Like I said, we’ve been talking about this for 18 months and in any plans, esp. longer term prep, the subject of security and defense comes up, because if we have it, others will want it (and if society ever falls apart, people will do what they have to for the survival of their family). There are also plenty of other options we are working on, for food, that are useful now, and it’s fun learning them too.

Sorry if these are things you’d rather not discuss on this forum… I understand if you would rather PM your replies… thanks again, BTW! ๐Ÿ˜€

busybee

re subbing to this thread

roadwarrior

Any firearm, even pistols, can be stored at home as long as you have the appropriate safe to lock them in. My safe holds 5 category A & B guns, is dynabolted to a concrete floor and 4 hex screws in the wall stud. My safe cost me around $300 on eBay, shipped to my door from Melbourne.

Don’t look at getting pistols. Laws are significantly tighter than for rifles, and the only thing they are good for is killing people. I don’t have pistols.

Ammo needs to be stored in a metal container that can’t be moved, like the safe it must have bolts or screws to secure it, although the locking mechanism doesn’t have to be a sophisticated as a safe. You can use a toolbox with a simple lock. My ammo storage is a metal cabinet 5 times bigger than my gun safe, with a four point locking system and also bolted down. It’s far easier and quicker to just stockpile ammo rather than thinking about reloading it. Reloading is for old guys who are retired and have nothing better to do.

Next you’re going to ask how hard it is to get a fireamrs licence right? ๐Ÿ™‚

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 402 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.