Aussies Living Simply

PO "Stockpile List"

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 402 total)
  • Author
    SproutSprout

What items do you suggest as being important to stock up on now as we look towards a near future where PO / other may restrict global trade or at least see prices increase significantly.

In another PO thread Sonya mentioned buying quality items which will last or at least be repairable. Each family will have different needs/ideas and there will be “tools” and more short -term items like sheets or clothing.

What do you see as priority items to begin sourcing/stockpiling now?

Thanks for this thread Sprout.:clap: This is somthing we all need to think about.

When I was making cordial this morning I mentioned to P that we have to make sure we have a large amount of sugar in our stockpile.

I.

Michelle-smMichelle-sm

This is something I think about alot, just exactly what do I need to stockpile??

I have the basic foodstuffs to last for about a month which is not nearly enough.

I am at the moment contemplating buying a reasonable sized chest freezer to stockpile more food. I figure even if we eventually have no power it will still make a great vermin proof storage container.:tup:

Things that I have been thinking of adding to the stockpile recently are;

candles

matches

buckets

panadol

bandaids/bandages

vinegar

bleach

soap

underwear

storage containers

blood & bone

pots/pans

dishes

I could go on forever but I’m not sure where I will store all this stuff.

Hubby is already starting to think I have a hoarding disorder.:lol:

SonyaSonya

regardless of your beliefs about the future, it is probably prudent to be a little independant from the mainstream in skills, materials and resources anyway.

and yes, undies are important – good point!

Sonya

SproutSprout

regardless of your beliefs about the future, it is probably prudent to be a little independant from the mainstream in skills, materials and resources anyway.

Sonya, would you like to be more specific, especially regarding materials and resources? We know you have spent a lot of time thinking on these matters, could you give us some pointers?

scarecrowscarecrow

Sonya wrote:

and yes, undies are important – good point!

Sonya

Good Sonya I’m glad I’m not the only one who thinks like this but…I feel the whole idea of ‘stockpiling’ food etc is wrong!

Stockpiling is NOT a long term solution to anything. Stockpiles will run out! They can be damaged or stolen…then what?

I feel we should be looking at alternatives to everyday items. Making these items from scratch or finding other ways of doing things.

Michelle’s list for example (I’m not having a go at you Michelle just trying to get my message out)

Candles- how do we make these instead of buying them – Beeswax. OK beekeeping isn’t going to be for everyone but in future PO situations the idea of the ‘village’ style of living has credit. Someone in your close community will keep bees and supply the beeswax for candles!

Matches- Rubbing sticks together is a skill we may need to brush up on or hitting rocks. How about using pieces of broken glass to magnify the sun’s rays to create FIRE! and then maintaining that fire to keep it going. If you need a fire that is.

Buckets- go for stainless steel ones that will last…they take a lot of energy to produce but will out-last plastic ones.

Panadol – learn to live without it…it won’t store long enough and may not be produced in future situations…then is not the time to look for alternative pain management.

Someone mentioned in another thread about drug use…are there alternatives to the life saving medications some folk rely on?

Bandaids won’t store well either and bandages…didn’t these used to be ripped up sheets etc?

Blood and Bone – investigate Veganic gardening…you grow plants to feed other plants without animal in-puts.

Underwear – stockpile fabric to make your own…learn how! Re-use old t-shirts to make knickers. :tup:

Maybe we need to look one step back from stockpiling foods and items to stockpiling what we need to create the ‘basics’ of living.

Maybe what I’m saying is stockpile SKILLS!

TullymoorTullymoor

Don’t hold back Scarecrow, tell us how ya feel!! :lol::lol::clap::hug:

That’s a powerful post, a bit of a kick up the bum to get us (really) thinking, thank you.

WombatWombat

I agree with your point Scarecrow – stockpile skills – but everyone is different in their abiltiies and time they can put to this. Stockpiling buys you time. Time to get stuff going that you may not have time to set up before the ballon goes up. It also buys you breathing space in the event of a crop failure or other missfortune. At the moment a crop failure is an annoyance and a disspointment. In hard times and without a stockpile, it may prove fatal.

Nev

SproutSprout

Maybe we need to look one step back from stockpiling foods and items to stockpiling what we need to create the ‘basics’ of living.

by Scarecrow

I guess that’s what I had in mind, like the stainless steel buckets, cast iron cookware, good quality bikes and some spare parts, maybe needles and thread and good quality gardening tools. The means to enable us to create the basics 5, 50, even 100 years down the track. Items which may be hard to source in another 10 years and better thought about and gathered gradually now.

SonyaSonya

Scarecrow,

Thats why I left food out of the list and I put skills in. For example our relocalisation group are all going to attend a seed saving course to kick off our local seed saving network and seed bank. These are the types of things I’m talking about.

Getting a skills register is another thing we are doing.

Cheers,

Sonya

roadwarriorroadwarrior

I’ve been asked what my stockpile consists of a few times, on sydneypeakoil.com as well.

Here’s a rough list.

3 months tinned food. (complete Harvest meals + baked beans + spaghetti)

30 tins “Two Fruits” in syrup

100kg salt

60kg sugar (will increase to 120kg shortly)

150 kg wheat (airtight CO2 atmosphere)

30kg rice (airtight CO2 atmosphere)

60kg Chicken pellets (constantly rotated)

Two tents with sleeping bags for whole family

200L petrol + two cars kept above half full at all times.

Female hygene products including Rad pads and Diva Cups (New addition)

Steripen , UV water sterilizer, battery operated (new addition march 2010)

Bulk seeds (rotated annually)

Manual stone flour mill

Manual steel flour mill

Manual meat mincer

Manual cream separator

Manual butter churn

Electric tomato sauce machine (can be easily converted to manual, plus can hook the wheat grinder up to the motor for faster grinding)

Hand cranked Singer sewing machine

Pandemic Kit (Viroguard masks, medicines, gloves, goggles)

40 tooth brushes

20 tubes toothpaste

10 bottles Bleach

2 year supply of soap (increasing constantly)

A Chainsaw

Various axes

Dynamo torches/radios

A few thousand matches

Candles

3 Fresnal lenses (for starting fires without matches)

Rechargeable batteries

Solar battery charger

iPod with all my favorite songs and TV shows (can be recharged by solar battery charger)

2 subway mountain bikes

2 5,000L water tanks

1.05kW grid connected solar panels (for when electricity becomes REALLY expensive)

Bags of concrete to fill the toilets when the sewage overflows.

A solar cooker

Barbed wire

Radiation gauge

1 X high powered compound bow

Guns

Ammo

9 chickens

1 wife peak oil aware.

Lots of skills such as beekeeping (to make up for all the skills I don’t have), and lots of books to fill the gaps.

Most of this stuff is boxed, ready to relocate if necessary (except for the chickens and the wife).

There’s probably more but I can’t think of it all right now. It’s a big list.

rw

SproutSprout

Thanks RW, that’s food for thought indeed. Please add items as you think of them. What’s a Fresnal lense, is it a type of magnifying glass?

1 wife peak oil aware.

Most important! 😀 I’m glad she’s not boxed up!

roadwarriorroadwarrior

A fresnal lens is a BIG magnifying “glass”. Mine are made of plastic, they are flexible (and cheap) and can magnify a large area. The ones I have are the size of a computer screen. I’ve seen big ones, 68cm TV size, used to weld metals together.

I’ll keep adding to the list…there is so much to think of when preparing for peak oil that my brain runs out of breath.

Just thought of the three “subway” mountain bikes I’ll be getting in March too.

GeoffGeoff
    Keymaster

I fully agree with the comments on learning skills rather than making stockpiles, but I can see a use for stockpiles as well. Having a month or three of backup could be a lifesaver as well.

I’ve put some time and effort into skills & tools that will be a little more uncommon, and allow me to trade for some of the skills & items that will be more common. My favourite is a basic blacksmithing kit, it gives a good starting point for making trade items & repairing things. I’ll add charcoal making to that this winter so will have a fairly end-to-end setup ready to go. It’s something I enjoy so that makes it even more worthwhile: “DW, I’m just off to practice my blacksmithing, it’s not that I’m avoiding doing the dishes, but you know, we do need to be prepared…” 😆

Don’t forget useful things in the environment that can be combined with skills. A ready source of willow trees here means we can get into basket weaving to replace a lot of plastic and fabric items. What can you put into your environment (or adapt that is already there) that will become a future resource in this fashion? Sort of stockpiling in the wild.

Also useful (though less portable) are books (my second favourite stored item after personal skills). You might not have time today to learn how to weave baskets, but if/when you’re out of a job spending a couple of days reading and practicing could see you in a new occupation, enough to trade for a bit of food in hard times. General books like a yates guide, bushfood guide and first aid guide, smaller more portable editions, could come in very handy, even for those who hope to be more mobile. If you plan on staying put then make sure you’ve got all the basic trades covered, carpentry, plumbing, electrical, mining 😆 etc.

Roadwarrior: Have you picked out a destination, got an endpoint, or planning on going nomadic?

I’ve often considered starting a register of PO destinations, larger farms in the country willing to take suburban expatriates and provide a plot of ground for a tent in exchange for labour. There are big issues of trust to be overcome so it’s probably unworkable (ie, I know I’d be a bit afraid of having ten thousand dispossessed turn up on the doorstep because the word had gotten around a little too well), but it does provide some interesting thinking material from time to time.

SproutSprout

RW where would you buy a fresnel lense? I have to hide all magnifying lenses to prevent curious little ones lighting fires here, but doesn’t hurt to know.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 402 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.