Aussies Living Simply

Plants for a cat run

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    ladybug

I get my new kitten at christmas time and we are building a run down the side of the house – will be an indoor car after the theft of our last cat by the local youths. I am looking for ideas for plants to build a ‘jungle’ at one end. It is a shaded spot and I have no problems getting water to the plants. Any ideas would be great. Thanks

scarecrow

Hi Ladybug

There are special Cat Grasses available from seed by I find my cat loves to nibble the ends off the Lemongrass. You could also try Catnip (nepeta cataria) Catmint (Nepeta Mussini), Cat Thyme (Teucrium marum), this link tells you more about these.

This link contains a list of plants that are poisonous to cats so is probably worth a look. :tup:

ladybug

Thanks scarecrow for the info

wocket

nods

my cats adore lemon grass.

daviesgang

What a timely thread ladybug as hubby is drawing up plans, as we speak, for our cat run. You just saved me asking the same question. My cats are shocking chewers and even if I get given fresh flowers I have to watch them as they will have a good gnaw on them. Hubby is going to enclose one side of our house to the fence line (house runs down the block rather than across) and we are going to deck it out as a cat heaven. We will have hidey holes, tunnels a couple of sling sort of things as they love laying on soft things. We are even going to put a couple of potted trees in there for them to climb and claw at.

Edited to ask: what sort of kitty are you getting?

Tassie Tiger

Pussy willow, catcus, catolope, catmint, catamundra wattle, catswhiskers…..

Sorry couldn’t resist:lol::lol::lol::lol:

ladybug

Yeah TT I had all those plants on my list:lol::lol::lol:

Daviesgang I am getting a British Shorthair, he’s a dark blue colour very cute

Wocket , I had lemon grass at the top of my list cause my last cat loved it.

Thanks everyone for the info:kiss1:

daviesgang

Oh a British Shorthair…yummy. They are like teddy bears but cats hehe.

chester

We were just talking about setting a cat haven up for our 7 cats. Yeh we had trouble with the landlord about the Knight’s barking, from pure boredom he chases lizards, never does that at the farm. He (LLord)still has no clue how many cats we got. So we on the move to acreage, only now snakes could be a problem.

daviesgang

Chester you can buy snakeproof birdwire now. I saw it yesterday at Bunnings. It has tiny squares rather than the bigger ones so that even the smallest snake can’t slither through the gaps. When we move country I will be using that for my cat enclosure. I wont risk my cats.

tooleybird

great thread. our ‘masters’ have a mcMansion – to lounge in. I was going to plant forage food for the chooks in there as well. the cats dont bother them.

Yesterday I happened to look out the window, it started to rain. Here was my male cat looking with such misery:@, sitting in the rain, to scared of the chooks to get under cover 😆 :lol:!!!!

chester

Thanks Sasha, will hall a look for it.:)

Bubba Louie

Here’s a “what not to plant” list.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.